a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana bow hunters, what's your thoughts?

Indiana bow hunters, what's your thoughts?

For the Indiana guys, I was just wondering what y'all thought about they new proposed rule changes for deer season. Do you like them, or not? If not what would you change, or what would you leave untouched? I know this has been a hot topic among the guys I hunt with. Im just wondering what everybody else thoughts were.

Thanks for you input.

i go up to Hoosierville the 1st week of Nov. usually every year what are the proposing?
    "How you like them Apples"

I dunno for sure. They have not been very clear on what the proposed changes actually are.
    Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
    Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
    Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold

They are proposing crossbows for the entire archery season, and adding nine more days of firearms season to the already ridiculous amount of firearms days that already exist....so the hot talk in my area among the gun-only crowd is to buy crossbows and invade the bow season as well. It's a very sore subject with alot of us committed bowhunters that spend 365 days a year practicing and preparing for the few week stretch in the fall that we live for. I realize that some won't see this as a big deal, but if the crossbows start flooding the woods with the less committed, then I see it becoming more and more impossible to keep good ground undisturbed. IMO, I would like to see a shortened gun season,at the END of November, like Ohio and other mid western states, leave the crossbows out of the archery season with the exception of special permits, and last but definately not least, an Earn-a-Buck rule which requires a doe kill in order to receive a buck tag...
    (5) Martin Slayers-Nitrous X

(2) Rytera Bullet Xs-Nitrous X B cams

HUTCH-N-SON Strings @ bowstringdepot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MBXXX View Post
    They are proposing crossbows for the entire archery season, and adding nine more days of firearms season to the already ridiculous amount of firearms days that already exist....so the hot talk in my area among the gun-only crowd is to buy crossbows and invade the bow season as well. It's a very sore subject with alot of us committed bowhunters that spend 365 days a year practicing and preparing for the few week stretch in the fall that we live for. I realize that some won't see this as a big deal, but if the crossbows start flooding the woods with the less committed, then I see it becoming more and more impossible to keep good ground undisturbed. IMO, I would like to see a shortened gun season,at the END of November, like Ohio and other mid western states, leave the crossbows out of the archery season with the exception of special permits, and last but definately not least, an Earn-a-Buck rule which requires a doe kill in order to receive a buck tag...
    I agree with MBXX
    Shorter gun season but would like a 6 point or more on all bucks taken.
    I have heard talk of a doe only gun season at the end of december I think that is a good idea

Mike

I could not agree more. I work at an archery shop and I about puke everytime my boss tries to sell an Xbow. I really want him to stop selling them!

I would also like to see a minimum 15" spread & 4 points on one side antler restriction.
    Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
    Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold

I would love to see the gun season moved out of the rut. And definitely don't want crossbows in early archery. (Except for the disabled ) I don't mind the doe only gun in december though.

I thought the proposed rule was to eliminate a week of shotgun and another week of muzzleloading, but this was put on hold for the coming year. I would like a weekend muzzleloader in october like kentucky but I also support the earn a buck program.
    If you shorten the gun seasons I think a lot of people will miss out and many will not go hunting. I would like to keep people hunting as well as introducing new and young people to hunting and gun hunting keeps some people hunting. I have also been able to get gun only hunters of 15 years interested in bow hunting and they love it!
    As far as crossbows people can have them, I have used them and they are too big, bulky and difficult to reload and carry in the woods. I sold mine and will not buy another. Archery is the most fun and challenging hunting there is but it can be more expensive than gun and people do not want to spend that much money. They just want venison on the table.

I do think it is good to introduce people to hunting. I (as well as most bowhunters) learned to hunt with a gun and loved it. I do not think there is anything wrong with gun hunting. I just think it should be after the rut. I also don't think x-bows should be allowed AT ALL unless the hunter has a legitiment hindrance from using a conventional bow. The doe only rifle season in late December would be an extremely good thing too.

15" spead NO WAY do you know how many kids get hooked to hunting after they kill their first spike, most kids don't even see a 15" er for several years of hunting. without that first kill they would loose instrest.
    then they have to deside is it 14" 0r 15" heck i still have a hard time with that one.
    and i hope they never bring in a earn a buck, pitcure this you have passed on many nice bucks waiting for that bruser, put in hour and hours of scouting. opening morrming he's right in front of you and you haven't killed a doe yet, and you have to let him walk

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier bowman View Post
    I do think it is good to introduce people to hunting. I (as well as most bowhunters) learned to hunt with a gun and loved it. I do not think there is anything wrong with gun hunting. I just think it should be after the rut. I also don't think x-bows should be allowed AT ALL unless the hunter has a legitiment hindrance from using a conventional bow. The doe only rifle season in late December would be an extremely good thing too.
    Be careful what you wish for! Here in Wisconsin we already have a lot of what is being proposed in your state and let me tell you....deer hunting definately isn't what it used to be in this state. Deer numbers are lower than I've ever seen them (though we might be seeing a rebound this year according to what I've seen out feeding in fields so far this spring) and the liberal seasons have basically started a hunter vs. DNR debacle, its a complete mess with no end in sight.

2012 Elite Tour
    2010 Elite Z28

Crossbows are a two edged sword but I don't see the issue the same way you see it. You have to take the bad with the good and if it means getting youth and women out during the early season I don't have a problem with it to that extent. You also have to be careful who you are including in the "less committed" comment because not all are able to be 365 day hunting professionals we like to think we are.
    Most would love to spend more time prepping for the season or staying involved in the sport thru out the year but also realize the responsibilities of families, jobs that aren't as flexible as ours might be, etc. And to say that bow season should be reserved for the dedicated is selfish and narrow minded.
    I doubt if I ever will consider a Xbow because I love vertical bows and that's how I hunt the majority of my season but if someone has the opportunity to get in the woods because of the Xbow. One that they usually wouldn't have because they couldn't handle the poundage of a regular bow or time to learn consistancy with a verticle bow, then great!
    Everyone should be able to enjoy hunting the early season. Not just the "elite".
    Genesis 1:1~Genesis 27:3
    "Sir, we are surrounded!" "Excellent, now we may attack in any direction!"2014/2015 Team 43 Backwoods Beatdown.

Quote Originally Posted by avincent View Post
    15" spead NO WAY do you know how many kids get hooked to hunting after they kill their first spike, most kids don't even see a 15" er for several years of hunting. without that first kill they would loose instrest.
    then they have to deside is it 14" 0r 15" heck i still have a hard time with that one.
    and i hope they never bring in a earn a buck, pitcure this you have passed on many nice bucks waiting for that bruser, put in hour and hours of scouting. opening morrming he's right in front of you and you haven't killed a doe yet, and you have to let him walk
    Fine then, 17" (ear width.) If kids have a chalenge, they will keep interest. I know I did. It took me 6 years to kill my first dear. Until that day, I had seen nothing but does. Not even a spike buck. First deer was a 145" 10 point.

Please visit the link in my signature line.

If you agree, print off a petition and start getting signatures.
    Petitions MUST be returned by the end of April.

Thank You for your support.
    LONESOME ELK ARCHERY TERRE HAUTE IN.
    Look Well to the East

Quote Originally Posted by rkt View Post
    i go up to Hoosierville the 1st week of Nov. usually every year what are the proposing?
    I dunno for sure. They have not been very clear on what the proposed changes actually are.
    You can read the proposal in the link in my signature.
    LONESOME ELK ARCHERY TERRE HAUTE IN.
    Look Well to the East

I would love to have the earn a buck rule.... also I dont care if gun season is extended but put it from the end of november into december........ Xbows well whatever dont really care to much about them only if the person using it should really be using it kids, some women, etc etc
    2014 Bowtech Carbon Overdrive, HHA, Limbdriver Pro V, AEP, Goldtip Ultralight, Stan Element

If the only extension is the nine day antlerLESS at the end of december then thats ok with me I do wish they moved the whole gun season at least a week back though
    2014 Bowtech Carbon Overdrive, HHA, Limbdriver Pro V, AEP, Goldtip Ultralight, Stan Element

Indiana is definitely going to the wrong direction with the management of our deer herd. The late doe season being proposed is crazy. Crossguns in the early archery season. Definitely be a problem with the slobs in my area. I know not everyone who hunts with a crossbow is a slob, but in my area most of the gunners that will pick up a crossgun are. Just my opinion.
    "All the gizmos in the world don't matter if you don't do things the right way"... Jay Gregory.. AT Featured chat...

"We get what we earn, not what we deserve".... ME....

I could not agree more. I work at an archery shop and I about puke everytime my boss tries to sell an Xbow. I really want him to stop selling them!

I would also like to see a minimum 15" spread & 4 points on one side antler restriction.
    15" spread would be ridiculous or any antler restriction for that matter. Let people shoot what they want. Not everyone is a trophy hunter. Back to the spread restriction I killed a buck that scored 148 and has a inside spread of 13 7/8 under what you want that would be an illegal deer.

[QUOTE=Hoosier bowman;1060465716]Fine then, 17" (ear width.) If kids have a chalenge, they will keep interest. I know I did. It took me 6 years to kill my first dear. Until that day, I had seen nothing but does. Not even a spike buck. First deer was a 145" 10 point.[/QUOTE

LMAO a lot of guys here havent shot a deer that big let alone a kid antler restrictions is one thing,but what your proposing well......

Quote Originally Posted by kchunter View Post
    15" spread would be ridiculous or any antler restriction for that matter. Let people shoot what they want. Not everyone is a trophy hunter. Back to the spread restriction I killed a buck that scored 148 and has a inside spread of 13 7/8 under what you want that would be an illegal deer.
    I agree.
    You guys are getting all tightly wound like they are YOUR deer. Buy or lease 1000+ acres and manage it how you like. I've got a 7+ year old 9 point on the wall that is just under 14" wide and would be in the same boat.
    These young hunters have to start somewhere and game management is something they will have to learn. But when the majority don't have large tracts of land hunt, imposing minimums will discourage them early. Not to mention your teaching it's all about the trophy instead of the hunt, as well as the many other skills they will learn growing up hunting and spending time in the woods.
    Genesis 1:1~Genesis 27:3
    "Sir, we are surrounded!" "Excellent, now we may attack in any direction!"2014/2015 Team 43 Backwoods Beatdown.

Fine then, 17" (ear width.) If kids have a chalenge, they will keep interest. I know I did. It took me 6 years to kill my first dear. Until that day, I had seen nothing but does. Not even a spike buck. First deer was a 145" 10 point.
    17" ear width ? i have a 16 pter on the wall 24" spread and his ear are only 15" you must have dumbo deer in your neck of the woods

I'm not so much for antler restriction, or size restrictions on bucks. I think that is something that will happen as the hunter grows and gets more experience. As for the earn a buck, NO THANKS!! If they want more does killed then lower the prices on Doe tags.

Quote Originally Posted by mac2549 View Post
    I'm not so much for antler restriction, or size restrictions on bucks. I think that is something that will happen as the hunter grows and gets more experience. As for the earn a buck, NO THANKS!! If they want more does killed then lower the prices on Doe tags.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast