a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Early Season Doe- To Hunt or Not To Hunt

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    144

    Early Season Doe- To Hunt or Not To Hunt

    So heres the situation-
    Where I live in PA there is a special early season for antlerless archery. No buck, just antlerless deer. Its a good opportunity to get some scouting in while hunting for a freezer queen doe. The question is, would you hunt your spots you hope to hit your big buck at for a month before regular season opens, hunt different areas, or just sit the early season out? I like the idea of meat in the freezer early, but I'm not so sure about putting all that scent down where I hope to see Mr. Big, or even worse getting busted. What would you guys do?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    9,645
    I never go out for the early season because I like shooting them when its alittle cooler out...gives me alittle more time to cut them up. Also I dont like hunting when its real warm. If you want to get out there and hunt maybe hunt some spots you normally wouldnt. Try and find new areas... You might find another big buck to hunt.

  3. #3
    Not hunt that season, you can shoot a doe during the time that you can shoot a buck too right? Then again I have no interest in shooting a doe.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    269
    Not sure if I'm in your area or not but I'm also in a part of PA with the early antlerless season-- I'll definitely be going out. Then again this is my first season hunting archery in a while so I'll be thrilled with any deer as it will be my first

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Posts
    1,378
    Quote Originally Posted by LXhuntinPA View Post
    I never go out for the early season because I like shooting them when its alittle cooler out...gives me alittle more time to cut them up. Also I dont like hunting when its real warm. If you want to get out there and hunt maybe hunt some spots you normally wouldnt. Try and find new areas... You might find another big buck to hunt.
    X2 on the hunting new spots strategy. Any day in the woods is a good one even if you don't let an arrow fly. I say if you have the time to get out early hit some new turf and see what you see.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    — Dr. Seuss (The Lorax)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    144
    LXHuntinPA- I never thought of that! Might get a line on another big buck while looking for that meat. Good thinking! I hear you about cutting deer when its warm though. We butcher all our own, and the warmer the worse for sure. We have an extra chest freezer in the basement, at least it gives us the option of skinning and quartering the deer and putting the quarters in the freezer to deal with over a few days.

    Timmy Big Time- PA has about 8 weeks of standard archery season, buck/doe concurrent. Special Regs areas have another 6 weeks, 2 of buck/doe, 4 of only doe.

    Seelye24- I'm in 2B.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    269
    Yea I'm in 2B also....hope I'm not invading your territory :P

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    144
    I'm new to the area, so if anyone is invading it'd be me! I know some other people have permission to hunt the same areas, but I don't know how many.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofZ3 View Post
    I'm new to the area, so if anyone is invading it'd be me! I know some other people have permission to hunt the same areas, but I don't know how many.
    lol well if you are hunting in areas you need permission, you're one step ahead of me and don't have me to worry about lol. I'm new to the area also but have just been on the little bit of public land I've been able to find

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    4,431
    Every deer taken with a bow is a trophy. Get out there early season and hunt.

    It will do multiple things for any hunter.

    There is less pressure to get that doe, get used to it and transfer the same calmness to bucks.

    Make a mistake on a deer that isnt a once in a lifetime.

    You can get to see where the does are and hunt those areas come rut for the buck, thats where he will more than likely be.

    lol, be cautious though, the doe around here are less cautious about where they walk but spooked easier than the buck when they come around to play.
    Team Whack'em & Stack'em pro something or other!
    Blacke Eagle Arrows, best on the planet.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    11,450
    Get out there..if you have different spots than your regular season spots..all the better.
    Ford 8n Pro Staff
    =============
    Vegetarians...What fun is it to hunt a vegetable! Anyone can sneek up on a carrot!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Ohio
    Posts
    11,141
    I would find a couple of good early season spots and setup in them. If you can find a persimmon grove or even just a single tree thats dropping fruit you will have no problem whacking a doe early.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    144
    We have a couple pear trees, but they're too out in the open to attract deer during the day. They get hit hard at night though.

    I have a couple spots in mind that I could try for an early season doe, but it seems like most of the other advice here is to stay away from a spot you have faith in for buck season.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,008
    Get out there and hunt.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,902
    Quote Originally Posted by arhassett View Post
    get out there and hunt.
    x2!!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    At a Drag Strip near you
    Posts
    6,505
    How about giving those does a break.I have a camp by Brookville the hunt use to be a lot of fun and would see plenty of deer,but not anymore ever since P.A. made doe season 2 weeks with buck season they just decimated the deer herd.It would be nice if they went back to a 3 day doe season after buck season

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    144
    No lack of doe, or deer in general, in the specal regs areas. Thats why they have the early archery antlerless season. No lack in the WMU I work in or in the one I spend deer camp in either.

  18. #18
    I'm not 100% sure how I feel about early doe. Come August and September I'm chompin at the bit to get in the woods. I have an early doe season I can hunt and have taken a deer each of the last 4 years during that time. It's great and I love being able to get in the woods before that full-on withdrawal symptoms hit. I also hate the cold and don't mind the warmer temps. It's usually pretty easy to pattern deer that time of year and if you stay between food and water you'll be golden. Does really respond to fawn bleats that time of year also...

    My problem is that I end up hunting SO much during the early season that come late November and December it's hard to get up in the mornings. Not only that, I hate the cold so sitting in a tree in the freezing cold when I'm already a little burnt out is hard to do for me... Much easier just to roll over in bed and ask my hunting buddies if they saw anything.
    '05 Ultratec / Tradtech Pinnacle II
    GoldTip XT 5575 / G5 Tekan II / Tru-ball S-n-S / Kwikee
    Copper John / Fuse Axium

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    youdapimp,idaho
    Posts
    4,420
    Quote Originally Posted by HOKIEHUNTER07 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure how I feel about early doe. Come August and September I'm chompin at the bit to get in the woods. I have an early doe season I can hunt and have taken a deer each of the last 4 years during that time. It's great and I love being able to get in the woods before that full-on withdrawal symptoms hit. I also hate the cold and don't mind the warmer temps. It's usually pretty easy to pattern deer that time of year and if you stay between food and water you'll be golden. Does really respond to fawn bleats that time of year also...

    My problem is that I end up hunting SO much during the early season that come late November and December it's hard to get up in the mornings. Not only that, I hate the cold so sitting in a tree in the freezing cold when I'm already a little burnt out is hard to do for me... Much easier just to roll over in bed and ask my hunting buddies if they saw anything.
    So your sleeping with your buddies.

    But to the op I'd hunt the early season but not real hard
    RIP ZAP 11-11-2010

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •