Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Speed Nocks, pick up 6 fps and gain 5 yards on your sight pin placement

DIY Speed Nocks, pick up 6 fps and gain 5 yards on your sight pin placement

Hello Everyone, I was curious about these speed nocks used on high performance bows for faster arrow speeds, while reducing string vibration.

Yesterday I took my 2008 Hoyt ProElite X2000, Cam 1/2 with a draw weight 56 # and 29.5 draw length as well as fletching some new Bohning Blazers on my 28.5 inch V6 Victory 400 Arrows to the range.

I also brought a dozen brass nocks (0.50 cents) usually used to hold your arrow in place on the string and keep the arrow from sliding up or down the string.

I also took my freshly calibrated Chronograph. I shot my bow and my arrow speed registered 275 feet per second (fps).

My experiment was to prove whether speed nocks are worth the effort in increasing arrow speed and reducing string vibration.

After some trial and error over 30 minutes placing a number of nocks starting right at the end of the serving below each cam, and shooting my arrows through my chronograph to record any speed increase and adjusting the nocks up and down the serving for the optimum sweet spot to gain as much speed as possible I gained close to 6 fps and quieted my bowstring oscillation in the process.

I am now shooting between 281.6 and 282 fps. To some that may not seem a big speed increase, but for me when shooting 3D I am usually within 8 points of a perfect score, and come either 3rd place, sometimes 2nd place and rarely 1st place.

So to me a 5 to 6 fps increase is huge, especially since I gain 5 yards on each pin sight.

My top pin sight used to be 0-20 yds, now with the speed nocks my top pin sight is 0-25 yds.

My second pin sight used to be 25 to 30 yds, now it is 30 to 35 yards.

My third pin sight used to be 35 to 40 yds, now it is 40 to 45 yards.

My fourth pin sight used to be 45-50 yds, now it is 50 to 55 yds.

Lastly my fifth pin sight used to be 50-55 yds, now it is 60-65 yds.

Certainly proof above I now have a flatter shooting arrow which I hope will get me a few more points in a 3D tourney and put me in more 2nd place finishes with a few more 1st place spots.

Now I am in the process of changing my Cam 1/2 to a C2 cam on my ProElite and I am confident I will break the 290 fps barrier without increasing my bow weight from its current 56 pounds to 60 pounds.

Today I will back at the range with my FITA bow which is another 2008 ProElite, but was heavily customized and machined by Jim Posten, hence not a out of the box Hoyt.

One exception between my 3D Hoyt bow and my Fita Hoyt bow is my Fita Hoyt is a X3000 limb and is cranked up to 59 pounds and shoot 305 fps with 28 inch Victory Nanos, with Bohning fletches.

I figure with the addition of speed nocks I should pick up about 6 to 10 fps on my Fita bow.

I will let you know in a future post what those results bring.

So attached are the photos of the DIY of this process with proof in the pudding for those who want to take 30 minutes and get the same results as I have received.

No Chrono, no problem, fire a dozen arrows from different distances like 20,30,40,50 yards and mark their location with golf tees.

Once you put on the nocks in that sweet spot on the serving, fire another dozen arrows are the same distance like the first time, then compare your original arrows placement with your new and improve nockified arrow placement and you should notice your arrows are anywhere from 4 to 6 inches higher than your originals.

Happy Shooting
    Hoyt ProElite 08-3000X,Hoyt ProElite 08- 2000X,1982 Martin Cougar Magnum,
    Bohning Archery-Bohning Staff Shooter,Bohning Pro Staff Field,T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter,Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Field Shooter,Don't Choke Archery Field Staffer.

DIY speed nocks

Here is the sequence I followed to get the additional arrow speed and flatter trajectory and silencing my bow string oscillation. These photos show my bow performance without putting nocks on the bowstring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bohning Archery-Bohning Staff Shooter,Bohning Pro Staff Field,T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter,Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Field Shooter,Don't Choke Archery Field Staffer.

Here are photos on how to install your nocks and see an improvement in arrow speed.
    Place the nocks just above the bow string serving, a few inches below each cam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very interesting. I have used the G5 Speed Studs but have only gained 2-3 fps...maybe i should try putting 2 speed studs on the top and bottom for a total of 4.
    Tall Tine Bowstrings : www glaciallakesarchery com
    Carbon Tech Arrows, Hot Shot Releases, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, S4 Gear
    Elite Archery Dealer
    Ninja Engery 35 Hunting & Ninja Tour Field/3D

Great work illustrating what a speed nock can do.
    NWSpinner,com
    Don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

Thanks Guys, just remember the nocks go on the serving, not the string, and check that you have enough clearance from the cams.
    As for Animal killer, You will need to fire a minimum of a dozen arrows during each test with these nocks.

I added 2 nocks at each end at first and only gained 2 fps, 3 nocks at end got me to 280 fps, 4 nocks on each end got me the sweet spot at 281-282 fps.

Adding 5 and 6 nocks on each end brought me to 278 fps.

The main thing is string oscillation is greatly reduced allowing more energy directed towards arrow speed.

Like I said I will bringing out my other Hoyt, weather permitting and doing the same with this bow.

I would surmise if you already have a 300 fps bow that adding nocks may increase the speed up to 10 fps. That is what I am looking at finding out this afternoon.

I think the best part is if you look at my photo of my sight markings, a flatter shooting bow says it all when I can gain 5 yards on a pin sight, less chance for error.

Gotta agree with the nocks. I have been adding them to all of my bows when I change out the strings. The Vulcan required 5 starting 2 inches from the cam, the AM only took 4. I have also done a few other things with my bows that have improved the performance. I made sure that I am close to 5 grns/lb for my arrows. I also overrotated my cams a little bit. I am 29.75 so used the 30 inch mods and then shortened the string 1/4 inch. My strings are now 452x, 24 strands on the cables and 22 on the string. AM is running 320 and vulcan is 315.
    bear aka barrie

Cool !! great write up !!
    Custom powder coating for my AT friends Cerakote coating for my AT friends
    Bowtech RPM 360 Lightning Fast Easton HEXX 330's
    HOGG FATHER W/ Classic archery scope 4x lens
    Vaportrail Micro elite LD, Carbofast 24" Front 12" Back, Tony219er Custom threads !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by animal killer View Post
    Very interesting. I have used the G5 Speed Studs but have only gained 2-3 fps...maybe i should try putting 2 speed studs on the top and bottom for a total of 4.
    Just FYI, I weighted the G5 speed studs and they weight the approximately the same as four red nocks, 30 grains. It may have been your placement rather than the weight. The problem with the speed studs is you have to put them on the string not the serving. So, if your serving comes down say three inches from your cam, that is as close as you can put them. I have read many posts on speed nocks and Kevin Strother recommends placing them 4.25" from the axle. Many other posts say two inches from where the string contacts the cam (which turns out to be about 4.25" from the axle). I know that on most of my bows, I could not place the G5 speed studs close enough to the cam to hit the sweet spot because of the serving. Also, I noticed the speed studs will move if not served in.

You're the only other person that I've seen on here that likes the V5 sight for 3-d. I think it works great for bracketing the "in between pin" shots. Great read on the speed nocks...

Nice job, Barry! Super cheap way to pick 6fps and flatten trajectory. It would be interesting to see this done with a single cam bow for comparison purposes.

Has anyone done any experimenting with speed nocks on a Conquest 4?
    This is the most fun I've had since I started dating!!!!

Heat shrink over the nocks works great.

I can't see how gaining 6 fps will equal out to picking up 5 yards. A different nock height could easily get a couple inches but 6 fps can't reduce trajectory that many inches.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    PSE Phenom, Supra ME, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

My UltraTec has three on each end, the middle one being 4" on center with the axle. That's the way the original string was. It didn't occur to me to use a fourth nock.
    -Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Dave View Post
    Nice job, Barry! Super cheap way to pick 6fps and flatten trajectory. It would be interesting to see this done with a single cam bow for comparison purposes.
    My Buddy has a single cam bow, but we will have to wait till he gets new strings, with enough serving at the cams in order to fasten the nocks.

Once he does I will post the results.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstigall View Post
    I can't see how gaining 6 fps will equal out to picking up 5 yards. A different nock height could easily get a couple inches but 6 fps can't reduce trajectory that many inches.
    I don't even know where to begin answering your question!

Perhaps reread this post would be the best way to answer your question.

How did you calibrate your chrono?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhorne View Post
    How did you calibrate your chrono?
    I use an oscillator , as a physicist I am fortunate to have a wide array of testing equipment in my lab.

Oh and by the way, my chrony is accurate to 3% or better.

Sorry to ruin your mojo but I know guys that have been doing that on their hoyts for years!!!
    PSE, GoldTip Arrows, CBE, Scott Releases, Bohning Archery, Feather Vision
    Toxic Twist Bow Stings
    Deer Crossing Archery

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Regan View Post
    I don't even know where to begin answering your question!

Perhaps reread this post would be the best way to answer your question.
    I'm not arguing since I have no real training in determining trajectories. But near the end of your first post you say your arrows should be 4-6 inches higher while earlier in your post you say you picked up 6 fps. I've tinkered with bows and they've had a variety of speeds. I've never heard anyone say a gain of 6 fps will change trajectory 4 - 6 inches. I suspect the 4 - 6 inches is coming from the change in how the string is reacting at the shot. The end result being the arrow is leaving the bow at a different angle causing the arrow to hit significantly higher.

Also your results show your pin gaps are the same at both speeds. Which generally supports that the difference in trajectory between 275 fps and 281 is very small even at 50 yards which any archer that has fooled with many bow and arrow combination knows.

I admit I may be missing the whole point of your research and I suspect I am. The conclusion I draw from your testing is that weight located on the string can effect arrow speed a bit and change the way arrow leaves the bow hence the "tune".
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    PSE Phenom, Supra ME, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

Quote Originally Posted by dw'struth View Post
    Has anyone done any experimenting with speed nocks on a Conquest 4?
    I got 5fps more out of my C4.
    This is the most fun I've had since I started dating!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry O'Regan View Post
    I use an oscillator , as a physicist I am fortunate to have a wide array of testing equipment in my lab.

Oh and by the way, my chrony is accurate to 3% or better.
    Your a what???? WOW...then why are you messing with nocks and not trying to make a better or faster cam????
    YOU GOTTA KILL IT BEFORE YOU GRILL IT!!!

In answering your question, using a few nocks near the upper and lower cams reduces string oscillation near the cams when the bow is shot. Reducing oscillation in this area seems to reduce thus improve in preventing the bow strings tendencies to go back and forth upon release, much like a string stopper prevents the centre mass of the bow string to move farther towards the riser upon release. I am sure you can find a youtube video on slow motion capture of a bow being fired and note the string movement.

On another note, you are correct, my sight pins remain in the same position in the photo. By using the same pin sight position I am showing my arrow placement on the target at a set distance (say 50 yards) before I installed the nocks near the cam. At 55 yards my arrows would drop a few inches using the 50 yard pin. The arrows are then shot at 55 yards using the 50 yard pin sight when I added the 4 nocks on each end of my bowstring near the cams and the results show my arrows are placed in the 10 spot at this distance versus my previous results which showed my arrow drop of a few inches at that range using a 50 yard pin at 55 yards without the nocks installed, verified as well on my chrono showing a faster speed with the nocks installed, both which result in a faster arrow, flatter trajectory with less drop.

I hope that answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by THE BULL View Post
    Your a what???? WOW...then why are you messing with nocks and not trying to make a better or faster cam????
    Yes, we all would like to do what we really want to do, but unfortunately bow and arrow tinkering does not pay the bill, mortgage and food on the table.

My post was to show the average archer how to achieve a faster speed, though minimal, and a flatter longer trajectory with their equipment without breaking the bank, or getting way too complex in mechanical theory and physics in getting there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast