Thread: Gold Tip vs Carbon Express........

Question Gold Tip vs Carbon Express........

Well i am interested in buying new arrows. I have had a bad experience with the HIT stuff that Easton has to offer and am ready for some new arrows. At the moment i have in mind the Carbon Express Maxima hunters or Gold Tip Pro Hunters but i am open to other opinions. I will use the arrows for a mix of hunting/3d,hunting of course being the more dominate event. I currently shoot at Hoyt maxxis at 55#/26" but that will be changing to around 58#/26.5". I know that you can use any arrow for 3d but am trying to find the most effective for both and still maintain good penetration in hunting situtations. Would like to stay under or around $120 bare shaft.

Also needing ideal opinions on what type and length of fletchings are most effective for a good 3d/hunting arrow.

Thanks,Mo
    Elite GT500 Ninja 62#/28"dl
    Easton FMJs 400 /HHA Optimizer/ QAD HDX/ Proline Bow Strings
    Life is like an arrow-->You must know where to aim at-->How to use the bow-->Then draw it to your head and let it go-Henry Dyke

Both of those arrows are very good, you won't be disappointed in either of them.
    Hunting for "Little Stickers" "Dagger" "Sweaty Palmation" and the always elusive "2hunde"

ttt
    Life is like an arrow-->You must know where to aim at-->How to use the bow-->Then draw it to your head and let it go-Henry Dyke

maxima's for me...I got them on sale in dec for about 120 i think, but I am thinking the reg price is closer to 160???

i can get em about 130 shipped

I have found the Maxims to be very nice arrows and some say the tolerance and spine is more consistant than the GoldTip arrows but, the price is alot more too.
    The old saying you get what you pay for I guess, With that being said I shoot GoldTips unsually the Expeditions or Velocity Hunters.
    (Cut and squared on both ends and I get my wt. in a dozen with 2 grains)

I am not a competitive archer and do not shoot alot of paper so for hunting and occasional 3D Goldtips suit me fine.
    New Breed Genetix- 60lbs. / 28.5" = 370 grains @ 282 FPS
    New Breed Eclipse- 65lbs. / 28.5" = 370 grains @ 291 FPS

Custom-Arrows. com , Carters Archery- "Get Crackerized" , Starrflight FOBs- "Fletchings Only Better"

thanks all i will be doing is occasional 3ds

I have used both, i have stuck with the GT 5575 expedition hunters lately because they are dirt cheap. The GPI on the 5575 and the old maxima hunters were about the same, so the total weight was about the same, but the spine was a bit stiffer on the maximas, my old bow liked that more, but when i shot them side by side with the 5575s and my new katera xl......there was NO WAY i was going to pay twice the money for the maximas.

I think that the GTs hunters are GREAT arrows........but i have been throwing around the idea of going back to maximas lately for some reason too.

cant go wrong either way, gotta see what the extra money is worth to you i guess

Joe

well i have heard the maximas have a better...oh what do you call it? lol straightness tolerance or whatever per dozen.(something like that) I have never shot carbon express though so im am not fond of them but i hve shot goldtip expeditions and they were great idk why i switched from goldtip

i have had both arrows and love my maxima hunters. amazing how much tighter of groups i shot with them.
    mathews drenalin 29/70
    spot hogg 7 deadly pins wrapped
    qad hd ultra rest
    axion stabilizer lost camo
    cx maxima hunter 350 with cx f15 fixed blade

I've shot both and prefer the gold tips. I found the maximas fragile and still have no problem holding grapefruit sized groups at 80 meters with the gold tips. The gold tips are one tough arrow.

Gold Tip pro hunters are the best arrow I have ever shot, hands down. I can't say how the maximas shoot, but I have shot other gold tips, beman, and easton. The pro hunters fly perfectly and group tighter than the others, plus these things are as tough as they come.
    '10 bowtech admiral flx, 72#, 29.5" draw, 31" ata, ripcord rest, Gold tip pro hunter 7595's
    2010 ninja GT500, 29.5/60, Easton flatline 400's, ripcord rest, HHA OL5519, doinker stabilizer. 3d rig

Quote Originally Posted by MOhunter13 View Post
    well i have heard the maximas have a better...oh what do you call it? lol straightness tolerance or whatever per dozen.(something like that) I have never shot carbon express though so im am not fond of them but i hve shot goldtip expeditions and they were great idk why i switched from goldtip
    Gold Tips Pro Hunters(.001) have a tighter straightness tolerance than the CX Maximas(.0025).

GT Pros are my vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest12 View Post
    Gold Tips Pro Hunters(.001) have a tighter straightness tolerance than the CX Maximas(.0025).

GT Pros are my vote!
    Bingo
    Alpine Nitrous N20 64# 28DL / Alpine Concord 60# 28DL
    Victory VForce V3 400 / Victory VAP V1 400 w/ Firenock AeroOutserts
    TruBall Short-n-Sweet
    Ripcord code red
    Apex Axim

Gold Tip as my vote.

Gold Tips Pro Hunters get my vote.

I'm currently shooting both the pro's and the CX hunters, both very good shafts.
    “Those who act like sheep, will be eaten by Wolves”

DNA

Gold Tip...Great in the field and the range!!!
    SWITCHBACK XT..GOLD TIP ARROWS..SLICKTRICK 125grn MAG ..COPPER JOHN SIGHTS..VAPOR TRAIL STRINGS

A buddy and I were just talking about this the other day. I shoot GT5575's. I also have shot CX Heritage but they are heavy. I feel the vanes of CX don't hold up as well. I use to shoot a WB. He changed to GT because they flew better. He said the spine was weak and to get a stiffer spine weight went up to much for his liking. I am CX makes arrows that would work. But why change when GT5575 are cheap, light, and fly great.
    07' Bowtech Ally 28"DL @ 55# = 392grns @ 250fps: G5 Meta,Sword Twilight Hunter,Limbdriver, Control Freak Stabilizer

150# Horton Yukon SL with Horton Multi Scope

I have shot both the Gold Tip Pro Hunters and the Maxima Hunters. I primarily use the Maxima Hunters for hunting now. They just seem to be a little more consistent and group a bit better at longer ranges, like 50-70 yards with broadheads. I've started shooting the Maxima Blue Streaks to compare with the Maxima Hunters. The Blue Streak Selects have tighter tolerences than the Maxima Hunters, are a bit lighter (about .6 gpi lighter) and are supposedly "dual spined" whatever that means. I do know that they shoot absolutely fantastic. They group even better than the Maxima Hunters with broadheads, and I didn't think that was possible. I fletch all of my own arrows and compared them with rt. helical Vanetec HP's and 2" Fusions. The Blue Streak Select Signature 350's came already fletched and wrapped with blazers in straight w/rt. offset. Even with this configuration, they shot my thunderheads and slick trick mag's perfectly. They are quite expensive though ($162/doz + tax). I believe I paid $140 for the Maxima Hunter Shafts, which was the same as the Gold Tip Pro Hunter fletched arrows per doz.
    '13 PSE DNA 30" 60# 315 fps, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575
    09 Elite GT500 29.6" 66# 307 fps -Stage 1 Strings - Tater Tuned!
    Maxima Hunter 350 - Blue Streak Selects 350 Summit Treestands
    Slick Trick Mags, Treelimb Premium Quiver,
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Maximas!
    2013 PSE DNA, HHA Optimizer, Tight Spot, Gold Tip Hunters, Grim Reapers, Ridgerunner Sling
    2014 TenPoint Shadow

Maxima Hunters - fly great for me - tough as nails - refletch with NAP shrinks and they still fly great (shoot almost exactly as well as right out of the box Mayhem Hunters)

mudhen
    "Lighten up Francis" Sgt. Hulka

I shot GT Pro hunters for years. Tough as nails for hunting. This year I'm trying GT Kinetic Pro. Slimmer shaft and has a little more ***** behind it.

I shoot the GT Pro Hunters and CX Mayhems, I always fill my quiver with the GT's.
    Only way to the father is through the Son!