Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoyt turbohawk speeds?

Hoyt turbohawk speeds?

Do any of you guys get above 285 fps with your turbohawks, and if you do, what is your set up?
    Thanks

To achieve the speeds they post about bows, they are all done the same, 29" draw, 70#, and a 350 grain arrow---from the tip to the nock,,, so if you can get closer to any of these numbers you speed should improve, i asked my bow shop owner about the same thing, my turbo hawk wasnt shooting above yours

Actually it's 30" draw, but ya. And when they say that it's a 350 grain arrow, do they mean that it includes the weight of the fieldpoint, or is it 450 grains with a fieldpoint?

I just went to the archery shop and shot it through the chrono. I got 277 fps at 67 pounds, and 28" draw with a 419 grain arrow (including 100 grain fieldpoint). Now it's at 70 pounds, and I'm going to be getting some lighter arrows, which will put it close to 300 fps.

Here's my bow...

26 DL pulling 61 lbs
    309gr arrow
    280fps
    Hoyt Spyder 30

That arrow weight inlcudes the field point weight right?

I have a 28.5" draw length at 70#. Through a crono it shot 288. That is with 386gr Victory V3 350 arrows.
    Hoyt Turbo Hawk 70# 28"
    NAP Apache, TruGlo Carbon XS, Carter, Victory Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Savers Stabalizer

Quote Originally Posted by Dredster747 View Post
    That arrow weight inlcudes the field point weight right?
    Yep with a 100gr tip. Total wt 309gr.

Hoyt Spyder 30

My wife shoots a turbohawk at 27.5" and 52# and gets 283 fps. I am not sure of the exact weight off the top of my head but it is not far above an IBO weight arrow.
    Strother SR-71 60# 28.5" VT limbdriver Pro V
    Custom candy orange Strother Infinity 28.5" 51.5#
    Prime Impact 60# 28.5" G5 Expert Pro
    PSE Evo 7 60# 28.5" Pro V

Quote Originally Posted by buckfever24-7 View Post
    To achieve the speeds they post about bows, they are all done the same, 29" draw, 70#, and a 350 grain arrow---from the tip to the nock,,, so if you can get closer to any of these numbers you speed should improve, i asked my bow shop owner about the same thing, my turbo hawk wasnt shooting above yours
    Here is a good read from Hunter's Friend on on IBO -
    To really compare two bows, the industry uses an "Apples-to-Apples" method of comparison. Manufacturers generally rate their bows using the same IBO (International Bowhunting Organization) Standard. To get an accurate IBO Speed rating, manufacturers must test their bows under the same preset conditions: setting the bow for exactly 70# Peak Draw Weight, exactly 30" Draw Length, and they must shoot a test arrow that weighs precisely 350 grains. This levels the playing field on basic settings, so the differences in IBO scores reflect other design attributes (brace height, cam aggressive, bow efficiency, etc.). OK, fair enough!

However, since most manufacturers rate their own bows - they'll usually give themselves a few added advantages by testing the bows with a bare arrow shaft (no fletchings), a naked string (no nocking point, peep sight, or silencers), the lowest possible let-off setting, and with a drop-away style rest. This helps to maximize storage and eliminate friction so it's possible to squeeze out a few extra fps, but it doesn't necessarily reflect realistic shooting conditions. Manufacturers can also squeeze a few more fps by shooting the bows from the hard-wall (forcibly drawing the bow back a little too far) rather than from the soft valley (more on wall and valley concepts later). And finally, the manufacturer's IBO speed is likely to reflect their "best" test, rather than their average test.

Since the industry has no independent testing authority to actually scientifically verify each of the manufacturers' claims, most bows end up with advertised IBO speeds that are optimistically high, and nearly impossible to duplicate. After all, most consumers don't have the benefit of a chronograph, and few people actually shoot 70# DW, 30" DL, and exactly a 350 gr arrow. And even if they did, there will always be some percentage of variance among scales and chronographs to help dismiss any claims of discrepancies. So there's really no way to hold manufacturers accountable for their exact IBO speed numbers. From our experience, they're all guilty of a little IBO speed padding. But in all fairness, most are careful not to get too carried away. A little padding and outright fabricating are different things.

As such, we recommend you consider the manufacturers' ratings as a high-estimate. In most cases, the IBO speed is still a reliable method of "Apples-to-Apples" comparison among different bow models. We just have to accept that manufacturers invariably doctor-up their apples to be a little sweeter than they actually are. It's just part of the game. So don't assume something is "wrong" with your new bow just because it doesn't shoot as fast as it's posted IBO Speed. Very few, if any at all, bows do.

the arrow weight must be below or right at at total weight of 300 grains for that speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraMtns View Post
    Yep with a 100gr tip. Total wt 309gr.
    wow thats a really light arrow

My TH (stock strings, no peep, no weights or silencers, with D-loop and teflon cable slide) measures:
    29 DL (stop set in "C" hole of 28-30in cams)
    59.2lbs (maxed out)
    345gr arrow (GT 5575 with 85gr tip and 3 3in feathers, GT nock)
    271fps

I had a turbohawk unfortunately I had to pawn it for money so now I'm looking for a new bow. My bow was at 80 pds. arrows were 27 inches, I used Gold Tips lights which are awesome and affordable, 100 gr. Crimson talons broadheads. Muzzy rest, and Spot Hog Hunter sight, with spider silencers. I shot it several time through a crono and I was getting 312. I found that when it comes to fletchings burnt orange and pink are best at low light!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dredster747 View Post
    I just went to the archery shop and shot it through the chrono. I got 277 fps at 67 pounds, and 28" draw with a 419 grain arrow (including 100 grain fieldpoint). Now it's at 70 pounds, and I'm going to be getting some lighter arrows, which will put it close to 300 fps.
    thats respectable with 28" draw and that arrow weight for sure!!! think if you were a 30" and getting 300 with that weight??? LOL love being a longer draw so i get full potential LOL
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

What would you say I could hunt with it, that is within it's appropriate killing range. Like I know you could hunt deer with it,

Quote Originally Posted by williamworth444 View Post
    What would you say I could hunt with it, that is within it's appropriate killing range. Like I know you could hunt deer with it,
    Ya I plan to this fall and so should you.

Quote Originally Posted by JONEZ24 View Post
    My wife shoots a turbohawk at 27.5" and 52# and gets 283 fps. I am not sure of the exact weight off the top of my head but it is not far above an IBO weight arrow.
    I'd like some of what your smokin, theres no way at 52# with 27.5 DL she's getting 283.

Quote Originally Posted by rancilio View Post
    My TH (stock strings, no peep, no weights or silencers, with D-loop and teflon cable slide) measures:
    29 DL (stop set in "C" hole of 28-30in cams)
    59.2lbs (maxed out)
    345gr arrow (GT 5575 with 85gr tip and 3 3in feathers, GT nock)
    271fps

#2 or #3 cam??? and is the module xtr- C Just wondering???
    I would like to thank my sponsors
    OutBack Archery
    Gold Tip, Extreme Archery Products

"Instant success is not handed across the counter with the purchase of a bow."
    CHEAP IS NOT GOOD & GOOD IS NOT CHEAP

My set up is -
    2010 Hoyt TurboHawk
    26 DL 50# DW
    d-loop,whisker biscuit, peep,cat whisker silencers
    VictoryV1 500 - 327 grain arrow
    235 FPS

My husbands setup is -
    2010 Hoyt TurboHawk
    29 1/2 DL 64# DW
    d-loop,rip cord drop away rest,peep,string leeches
    Victory HV 350 - 326 grain arrow
    303 FPS
    Last edited by bow up; April 25th, 2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: revise
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Hoyt Carbon Spyder

Mine is 28in draw 65lb 325grn arrow 307fps I did install speed nocks on my string.
    If any man be in Christ he is a new creature old things have passed away behold all things become new 2Cor 5:17. BowTech Destroyer 350 Black Opps,Bear Attack shadow finish black death, Hoyt Dorado recurve, apache drop away, QAD, easton and GT arrows, Jim Fletcher and truball releases, Muzzy, carbon xpress and swacker broadheads,sword sights and BCY trophy. Rush archery custom bowstrings! Add some bling to your string!!!!!!

I got mine shooting 292 with a 324 grn arrow, 61 lbs, 28.5" draw. arrow was 28.5" as well. With only a peep and d-loop on the string.

i got 330 at 85 pounds 28 inch draw
    id rather be quiet and accurate at 260 than a fast miss at 320

Quote Originally Posted by buckhunter12345 View Post
    i got 330 at 85 pounds 28 inch draw
    what weight arrow?

MOBOW#1,

My TH has XTR #3 cams (28-30in DL) with the module pin position in hole C. #2 XTR cams are 26-27.5in DL only.

Quote Originally Posted by MOBOW#1 View Post
    #2 or #3 cam??? and is the module xtr- C Just wondering???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast