Thread: Broadheads that fly like field points?

Broadheads that fly like field points?

Out of these 3 broadheads which best fly true like field points....

1. Rocket ultimate steel (75 grain)
    2.wasp hammer sst (75 grain)
    3. Muzzy mx3 3 blade (75 grain)

First off, is your bow tuned? If so, they should all fly like field points, but some bows just won't shoot certain broadheads
    1 Timothy 2
    2013 Hoyt Charger "blacked out"

of the ones listed the only one i have heard of that does is the wasp, but i ahve not shot any of those to know for sure,, but tuning is the key to flight along with the proper fletching

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechfanatic1 View Post

I've shot #1 and #3 but in the 100 grain model. They both hit right with my field point. But as pointed out below the important thing is having your bow tuned - and mine is. I can basically shoot any broadhead I want and it hits with my field points.

I have shot the wasp and think that they fly really well, I have not shot the other ones though

all of them

All or non of them, it has little to do with the broadhead and everything to do with a well tuned bow and your ability to make a consistant shot. Obviously a big fixed blade BH will be tougher to tune that a tiny one but it still come back to tuning and the shooters ability.

Quote Originally Posted by IL 88 View Post
    all of them

cant use under a 100 gr here..........under 100 is like magic. arrow doesnt try to swap ends

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechfanatic1 View Post

Wasp SST always shot close for me.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

all of them should if your bow is tuned, although thier are some heads that just dont want to fly well.
    Hunt/target: Bowtech Insanity, MBG accent w/ vengeance head and dovetail, limb driver, Paradigm carbon hammer and QD, Black eagle
    trad: Hunterbows 3 piece hybrid longbow, bear kodiak
    paradigm archery field staff

Buy some Spitfires...worry's gone
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix ld
    Hoyt UltraElite & Pro Elite

The ones that I've tried that fly like field tips are 1) Slick Trick Standard 2) Slick Trick Razor Trick 3) Shuttle T LOC.

The shorter ferrule broadheads are generally easier to tune than longer heads.
    A few suggestions and personal experience.
    1) Some of the lighter 75 grain heads have less steel in the blades (thickness).
    2) The WASP have proven over the decades to be consistently built. The Hammer has killed many dozens of deer for myself and family members. The WASP Boss is a shorter head with thicker blades and flies great. I use the 100 gr Boss.
    3) I've used the 100 grain MX-3 and had it flying great. It's shorter than the regular Muzzy and has consistently been easier to tune than the regular Muzzy.
    4) I'd lean away from the bigger heads and heads that have steep blade angles for penetration reasons with your set up.
    5) I bet the Wasp Hammer with it's longer blade length and less angled blades will out penetrate either of the 2 you mentioned on deer. There's no real magic to penetration and it's incredibly difficult to measure using real world materials (animals). Foam is a terrible material to measure penetration.

I think the WASP is the best valued head on the market for deer hunting. On your rig the Wasp Boss would be my choice for flight, strength and durability. Their cost makes them a steal!
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    PSE Phenom, Supra ME, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

Along with the bow being tuned, another thing to consider is overspined arrows with that light of a BH. I have shoot the 90gr Muzzys for years but never been as light as the 75s ANy of them should do well with proper set up...
    ----08.5 ELITE GT500 ----- ASAT- NATION
    TUFFSAK bag targets
    MAGNUS BUZZCUTS /GRIZZ TRICK II /RAGE HYPO

I think the Rocket and the wasp fly better than the muzzys.

Guess I'm in the minority....I've never shot a BH that would fly the same as my field point. ALL required some tweaking/tuning......the only one that ever came close was the Rocket Steelhead 100's.....
    [COLOR="Red"]**John's Customs ProStaff**
    ______________________________ ___
    I don't trust a man that doesn't hunt.
    David E. Lewis

If the head spins straight on my arrow I've never found a broadhead that didn't shoot identical to my field tips. Like several
    guys have already said it all depends on how well you tuned your bow.

Quote Originally Posted by COATED View Post
    Guess I'm in the minority....I've never shot a BH that would fly the same as my field point. ALL required some tweaking/tuning......the only one that ever came close was the Rocket Steelhead 100's.....
    Your not in the minority, your in the majority. Field tips are easy to tune to a really tight group, but even at that level of tuning it would be just plain luck to not have to do ANY tuning to bring in fixed blade broadheads.

G5 Tekan T3's shot some the other day for tuning and found out that there was no tuning necesary. Although that is just how it happened for me may not be the same for others