Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Md, pa, wv, va

Md, pa, wv, va

Out of these 4 states which would you say has the best chance for killing a record book buck? Which state do you think its more likely to happen on public land?

Jason Smith

Back yard professional and hunter of bone.

There are certainly record book bucks on public lands here in Pennsylvania. You'll hear a lot of horror stories about how there are no deer left on public lands here in PA, but thats not the case. Some Gamelands get hit awfully hard during rifle season, but for an archery hunter there are a great deal of public land options. When you look at State Forest Lands, State Parks, State Game Lands, and public lands owned by counties or smaller government units a PA archer has a lot of prospective land to hunt.

I'm lucky enough to work in a PA State Park, and an archer took a deer that was easily in the 160's class just a couple hundred yards from the park office this past season. I've seen numerous deer that would score high within parks.

Not saying PA would be the best of the four, as I've never hunted the others, but the buck are here for someone willing to put the time and effort in.

Southern MD or Northern VA.
    2013 Pearson Stealth ll SD
    "Last year's hurdle can be next year's stepping stone."

Not sure about public but the bow only counties in southern WV are supposed to have some big boys.
    Current stable------>
    Martin Firecat 400 29/70
    Rytera Alien X 29/60
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix plus 29/70 #3 cams

Southern MD or the Eastern Shore of MD is the best place to kill one IMO. Here in Southern MD we had a the state record nt-buck taken that scored 268, then the next year in the same area there was a buck taken that scored between 240 and 250 non-typical. Eastern Shore is great too because the majority of the public land is covered in swamps and thick crap that the big boys love to hide in and grow big.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

my guess would be MD...
    Id turned into a (expletive) liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jack rabbit."
    -Marcus Luttrell

MD, WV or VA are all great choices. PA doesn't have any big deer on their public lands and I would prefer people keep thinking that

Athens Afflixtion - 30/71
    MBG Rush Sight / Trophy Taker SmackDown Pro Rest / Treelimb Quiver / Stealth Stabilizer
    HTA Harvester 300's tipped w/ 125gr. Shuttle T's.....435 grains moving @ 306 fps

LOL, Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by DesignedToHunt View Post
    MD, WV or VA are all great choices. PA doesn't have any big deer on their public lands and I would prefer people keep thinking that

Jason Smith

Back yard professional and hunter of bone.

Just ask Moondude. He killed a dandy Md buck last year!!

Didnt know there was any public land on the shore. I grew up there.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jmm83164 View Post
    Didnt know there was any public land on the shore. I grew up there.
    Mike
    Aw man there is a ton of public land on the Eastern Shore. Taylor's Island, Fishing Bay (like 30,000 acres), Wye Island, and Assateague Island to name a few.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Quote Originally Posted by DesignedToHunt View Post

A lot of people think that there is no big bucks in PA because the majority of the state is in the mountains. I know that I go to Frostburg State in Western MD and the guys here that hunt dont really see the big deer that are on flat farm land. I was one of those individuals until I saw some of the deer that came out of certain areas of PA.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

Here is a pic of the 268 buck taken in 2006

I know that both Basspro and Cabela's offered him ALOT of money for the original mount for their trophy deer museums and would make him a replica in place of it, and he turned both offers down.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

wv if you only hunt the 4 bow only counties
    Proud Shooter of Breathn Built bows
    John's Custom Archery Killing Staff
    Stormy Hardwoods Camo

Quote Originally Posted by DrenalinHntr View Post
    A lot of people think that there is no big bucks in PA because the majority of the state is in the mountains. I know that I go to Frostburg State in Western MD and the guys here that hunt dont really see the big deer that are on flat farm land. I was one of those individuals until I saw some of the deer that came out of certain areas of PA.

That's exactly it. Everyone thinks of the national forests and mountains and all and since those areas only produce a few nice bucks a year we just get written off. If only they knew how many farm fed deer we really have here and about some of the absolute GIANTS that call this state home. For the record, when I say GIANTS, I don't mean by PA standards
    Athens Afflixtion - 30/71
    MBG Rush Sight / Trophy Taker SmackDown Pro Rest / Treelimb Quiver / Stealth Stabilizer
    HTA Harvester 300's tipped w/ 125gr. Shuttle T's.....435 grains moving @ 306 fps

I think the most deciding factor would be the area you'd hunt in each of these states. Maryland Eastern shore is a steady producer. The bow counties of Southern Wv grow many, Virginia is a sleeper but produces P&Y and B&C class deer consistantly. My recommendation though would be Pa on a private lease that has been established for a few years. I have a good contact for a lease in Southern WV that is actually orienting a few new members this week on site. It is $700 a year with access to >5000 acres of bowhunting nirvana. Go to www.almostheavenoutfitters.com and you'll see what I mean.

The southern counties of WV, as well as small portions of it in the NW corner can produce big bucks. VA can also produce some pretty good deer consistently. I have seen some big ones taken there consistently. They take big deer consistently but they don't take huge deer very often... still a great place to hunt, for sure.

The SW and SE corners of PA have some great deer but hunting pressure is a problem I believe. They still have some great deer around I'm sure, I hear the suburban woodlots grow them big.

MD hunting is good. I have seen and taken some good deer. I am too biased in my opinion so I will not give you a definite answer.
    Tread softly and carry a big stick

In order (were you to go to top producing counties)...PA, MD, VA ............wv...LOL!

Maryland no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Live4Rut View Post
    Maryland no doubt
    I second this....Great bucks in MD

On my farm in Southern MD we had a MASSIVE 8 taken in 2009 that dressed out at 215 and scored in the high 160s. 26 1/2" inside spread and the longest tine was around 13" long. We had another 8 taken last year that scored in the 140s, and still have a big 8 that would score P&Y and two 10s that would easily score over 150 left at the end. I just hope that they will still be there this year. September 15th cannot get here fast enough.
    Hoyt Spyder 30
    MBG Ambush Ascent
    Trophy Taker Xtreme FC
    Fuse Carbon Blade

I know of 7 gross Boone bucks that have been killed in PA in the last two years and a 150 inch 6 pointer. Any record book buck killed on public land in any state would be like hitting the lottery, so it would be hard to predict that. I would say PA or MD.
    "my doggie turned to me and he said, let's head back to Tennessee Jed"
    "Gonna scare you up and shoot ya, Mister Charlie told me so"
    I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

Eastern shore of Maryland

Out of the states you have listed. PA. No questions asked. MD would be second.

We had a couple of big boys running around in my hunting locations last year. Just couldn't pin em down. They went nocturnal on us. They are around everywhere. You just have to have the land access and time to scout them. They sure as heck aren't going to walk up to the bottom of the tree and say shoot me, I am here. You gotta get out there and find them.

With that said, Pa and Maryland both have giant deer. Again, you just have to find em.
    2014 Elite Energy 32-Hunting Rig
    2005 Bowtech Allegiance-Back up rig
    Carter Releases/TRU Ball/Titespot/QAD/GoldTip/BeeStinger
    WinnersChoice/SlickTrick/NAP/Blazer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast