Thread: Missouri and Crossbows

Missouri and Crossbows

Does anyone have any info on wether Missouri is going to allow crossbows during regular archery season?? Conservation was going to vote on it this year I was told but I have not heard anything further about the subject.
    God Bless,
    Mark

Mark -

I talked to a contact I have at MDC that I used to work with the other day on this exact topic and he said he hasn't heard yet either. He did hint that it's more likely to be voted on next year. Nothing has come down on it yet. Also, he said it did pass for hunting in Illinois.

Nick

We need to get organized and start pressing MDOC for full inclusion. I could care less what the MBA and UBM think about it either. One more moron from UBM give me grief about shooting a crossbow and i will be the face of the full inclusion agenda.

We all have to remember something about the MDC. It's not known as the Missouri Department of Communism for nothing. With their sales tax income, they don't need any of us, no matter what organization we belong to. Tags, fees and licenses don't compare to the sales tax initiative. Name another state with multi-million dollar centers all over it like Powder Valley and the others. We need to sweet talk them into it. Brute force or a large show of hands won't work when they have a bank account that overflows into other state projects.

I am glad i have my permit to hunt here in Mo. they are a tuff nut to crack fer sure!
    Miss Vixen Blk. T-hole model Terror of all Tick Toters
    Marie Laveau Matrix 355
    Dark Lady Exocet 165
    Banshee MXB 320
    vixenmaster strings

A lot of people want to hunt here but say it's too expensive since they live out of state. Actually, the joke's on them. We're a reciprocal privilege state. What they don't realize is we charge them exactly what their state charges a Missouri resident to hunt in theirs. It's all programed in to the computer system for licenses and tags. The MDC really does stand for Missouri Department of Communism. Every time an agent runs into us when we're enjoying the outdoors, we have to show them our "papers."

Who controls ... the makeup of the MDC? And, what type of people are on the "committee?" How'd they get there? (just curious about accountability)
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE,
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks
    Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor.
    NRA Life Member 1971 Join up and fight to regain your rights!

The Director and Board Members are appointed by the Governor. Basically, political affiliations. There has been (in the past) people from all walks of life that vary tremendously. One may be a wife of a large contributor all the way to an actual field agent. People from all walks of life. Just like a president's cabinet.
    The main problem is a true contradiction of good and evil. We have a state sales tax if 1/10 of 1 percent of all state sales tax goes to the MDC. Doesn't sound like much until you start adding it up from the sale of everything from a candy bar to a new car or truck purchase. Missouri was the first such state to do this.

In all honesty, with this kind of revenue, they have brought back some species that were virtually extinct in Missouri from market hunting and poaching. Deer and Turkey are perfect examples. In other ways, they also do a great job of regulation and research. With that kind of money, they can do almost anything. One example that comes to mind ( I was told this by a member of the State Highway Patrol ) is that they paid for the Interstate Mile Markers that mark every Interstate Highway every tenth of a mile. This was paid for under the Conservation budget and not the Highway Department budget so it was easier to report and find game carcases along the highways. They also publish a free magazine for any Missouri resident who requests it simply by calling them and asking for a subscription. It's actually a pretty good publication. Let's not forget also that MDC owns a lot of public hunting and fishing land too. Public hunting areas are all over the state. Same goes for shooting ranges, fishing lakes, information centers, biology research programs, etc., etc., etc.

What it all comes down to is that with that kind of income, they are not dependent on just tags and licenses for their programs. Overall, it is a great organization and they do listen to sportsmen and sportswomen as to their wants and needs. However, the MDC is not solely dependent on our contributions for their budget. It is a great source of income for them but they have an even better one that we have nothing to say about. Remember that the power to tax is the power to destroy. So far, we've been lucky on this point. The way some of us here look at it is that we can put pressure on the organization for what we want but they only have to listen to us with one ear, not both.

I don't want to give the impression that it's not a great organization without qualified people. For the most part it is. We just wish that they would listen to us more than they do.

Sounds like ... it's working pretty well. As said, the way to steer that ship is probably best done with convincing persuasion. LOL
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE,
    Zeiss 3-12x50mmDuralyt, CamX Accuspine arrows, 100gr RamCats or Spitfire Maxx & Firenocks
    Swarovski, Leica rangefinder, Surefire & Fenix lights.
    Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor.
    NRA Life Member 1971 Join up and fight to regain your rights!

That's exactly right. It may take some time but I'm sure we'll follow our neighboring state's eventually.

By the way, I don't know if this has been posted yet but I fell that someone should throw it out there. Under the Missouri Bowhunting regulations, no one is to be in possession of a firearm while using an archery tag while in the pursuit of game, period. Technically, this makes the PSE TAC-15 and TAC-10 illegal in the state of Missouri. The AR platform or receiver is the controlling part that makes it illegal in Missouri. It IS designated as a firearm.

To be legal in Missouri, you must use the TAC-10i or TAC-15i to be legal if you want to use a PSE TAC product to hunt with during archery season along with your valid disability or handicapped exemption paperwork. Of course, during the firearms, muzzleloader, antlerless deer or special hunts (not designated as archery only) the PSE TAC system with an AR lower is perfectly legal. Agents here do not have much of a sense of humor and follow the rules and regulations usually to the letter. They can not only cite you for the violation, they can confiscate the weapon also. An agent for the MDC has more power in this state than any other law enforcement officer (including federal). They can also conduct warrant less searches almost anywhere. Remember, with the MDC budget, there are a lot of them too out there. Their sting operations conducted during the fall dove hunting season are legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick559 View Post
    Mark -

I talked to a contact I have at MDC that I used to work with the other day on this exact topic and he said he hasn't heard yet either. He did hint that it's more likely to be voted on next year. Nothing has come down on it yet. Also, he said it did pass for hunting in Illinois
    Nick
    What "passed in Illinois"?

Apparently, crossbows are now legal for deer hunting in Illinois during the archery season. I was told this by word of mouth by an MDC employee. It's most likely true but I'd like to see it in writing first. I'll see if I can google something up on it.

Apparently, crossbows are now legal for deer hunting in Illinois during the archery season. I was told this by word of mouth by an MDC employee. It's most likely true but I'd like to see it in writing first. I'll see if I can google something up on it.
    I would appreciate knowing what you find out. I and a few of my friends hunt Illinois.

Just checked. There is a bill (1603) in the Illinois legislature that would legalize crossbows for all of the archery season. Right now it has re- referred to the Rules Committee. I was aware of the effort , but had not seen much progress. I thought maybe it had busted out.

I found that too but nothing yet that says everyone. I did see that if you're 62 or older it's legal without a handicap exemption form. I'm wondering if that was what he was referring to.

please let me what you find out willie or nick,,, I posted here just the other day about ILL., thanks !
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    LS 390 HHA, Vortex
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Will do

Quote Originally Posted by randyxx75 View Post
    please let me what you find out willie or nick,,, I posted here just the other day about ILL., thanks !
    Still dreaming I see....lol
    Strike Zone 350, Hawke XB30, Gold Tip Lazer III, Lumenoks, NAP FOC Broadheads
    Strike Zone 350, Gold Tip Lazer III, Lumenoks, NAP FOC Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalasports View Post
    Still dreaming I see....lol
    lol... better quit pickin on me !!! we went to the moon..... I might make it to Illinois!...lol
    LS 390 HHA, Vortex
    NRA Member !

Quote Originally Posted by randyxx75 View Post
    lol... better quit pickin on me !!! we went to the moon..... I might make it to Illinois!...lol
    They will pass the legislation I am sure.....and when you get the buck of a lifetime....I want you to shout and thats one giant step for man kind....k....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Capitalasports View Post
    They will pass the legislation I am sure.....and when you get the buck of a lifetime....I want you to shout and thats one giant step for man kind....k....lol
    you're a nut ! more like... houston we have a problem !
    LS 390 HHA, Vortex
    NRA Member !

lol....now your sounding like someone who has my luck!!

I found that too but nothing yet that says everyone. I did see that if you're 62 or older it's legal without a handicap exemption form. I'm wondering if that was what he was referring to.
    I don't think so... That has been in effect for at least two years..

Well, maybe the Communist legislators from Northern Illinois will show up some day and vote on it. Since it's not a firearm it might actually pass.