Thread: Beman ICS Speed Arrows

Beman ICS Speed Arrows

So, I have been tinkering around a lot with my set up this spring and trying a lot of new things. Today I went to the pro shop and the tech there recommended I try some beman speed arrows. They are pretty reasonably priced, so I figured why not and bought 6 of them.

I got home and shot them a few rounds through my Z7 and I love the way they are grouping. And man, they sure seem a LOT faster than the mayhem hunters I was shooting (2 grains lighter per inch).

So my questions are:
    Are they too light for the 70 lb bow? They are 28" arrows, 8.1 grains/inch. 100 points on them.

I know there is a lot of debate about speed vs weight, and I am not trying to reopen that can of worms. But assuming they are ok to shoot, then they should have plenty of KE for whitetails, right?

Thanks for helping a beginner out!

Rob

If you're just hunting deer, you should be fine with them. Same as a Maxima from CX and I know quite a few people that hunt with those. I would say, stay away from the shoulder bones on either side if you can help it.

Thanks for the response. Also, I always thought the cock vane was the one that is a different color (which I am supposed to be shooting up in my whisker biscuit). Apparently that is incorrect? The knocks on these are set so that the vane that is a different color is not parallel with the knock. So should I shoot them with the vane that is parallel to the knock up?

Thanks again!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by EDoubleNickels View Post
    Thanks for the response. Also, I always thought the cock vane was the one that is a different color (which I am supposed to be shooting up in my whisker biscuit). Apparently that is incorrect? The knocks on these are set so that the vane that is a different color is not parallel with the knock. So should I shoot them with the vane that is parallel to the knock up?

Thanks again!

Rob
    Are you sure the nocks don't twist? I shoot beman ics and the nocks twist. I'm not sure if they use different nocks on some of them though. Put one on your string and give the arrow a turn.

Didn't try...they were all oriented the same way though, so I guess I thought it was intentional. I absolutely LOVE the vanes on them though. I can see them SO much better than anything I have shot before.

Quote Originally Posted by EDoubleNickels View Post
    Didn't try...they were all oriented the same way though, so I guess I thought it was intentional. I absolutely LOVE the vanes on them though. I can see them SO much better than anything I have shot before.
    Yeah....they normally come with the cock vane facing out. You should be able to twist the nock though. Sometimes you can't turn them with your hand....I just put them on the string and give them a twist.

Cool, thanks. I started to do that but the mayhems I had were much easier to turn, so I wasn't sure if I was going to screw them up. I thought it best to ask the experts first.

Rob

The bemans definitely do not seem to pack the same punch as the mayhems, but man I sure like the way they fly. Decisions, decisions...

I can say one thing for sure - whatever arrows I wind up going with in the future are going to have these zeon (or whatever they are called) vanes on them. I am definitely hooked on these!

You should be in the neighborhood of 350gr when you add in nock, vanes and insert...You should be getting some pretty good speed out of them...
    The nock should rotate to set the cock vane up
    I agree with the others stay away from the shoulders with such a light arrow...double lung and they will slice through no problem...
    2009 Diamond Stud 65#, 29"DL, 270fps, 29" Beman ICS Hunter 340, 400gr, KE=70#, Momen=.49, NAP 100gr Spitfire, Broken Rack Archery Strings
    2013 TenPoint Titan Extreme 185#, 315fps, 20" TenPoint Pro Elite Carbon bolts, 425gr, KE=94#, NAP 100gr Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by OneScrewLoose View Post
    If you're just hunting deer, you should be fine with them. Same as a Maxima from CX and I know quite a few people that hunt with those. I would say, stay away from the shoulder bones on either side if you can help it.
    I would stay away from the shoulder bones regardless of arrow weight.
    SEABEES CAN DO!

Scrool down to the bottom of the page a run the numbers and check the k. energy.

http://btreviews.proboards.com/index.cgi?

They may not be my "final answer", but I like them so far plinking around in the back yard. I may want a compromise on weight vs. speed. I don't know if the Bemans are in, but I have pretty much decided the Mayhems are out.

The vanes are keepers either way. Thanks guys!

Rob

The mayhems were coming in at around 425 grains. The bemans were initially about 375. I decided that a good compromise for me seems to be right around 400, so I have been shooting 125 grain points. I really like the little bit of extra speed I get vs. the mayhems, and the penetration (even though it is just on the target) seems acceptable. I think I will audition the maxima blue streak selects too - roughly the same weight.

So my next noobie question is:

Is there a rule of thumb for how much of the arrow weight should be in the point? In other words, is it problematic in any way to have 125 grains of the 400 total in the point? They seem to be flying great...I am just wondering.

Thanks all!

Rob