a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best bow for finger shooters?

Best bow for finger shooters?

OK guys....What is the shortest lightest bow I can get by with to bow hunt with fingers..
    I've shot bows for 50 years.Recurves...compounds with fingers...and tryed a release and don't like it at all.

I like the hoyt Katera XL, i wouldnt go any shorter and it is a pretty light bow.

I can't find the Katera on the Hoyt web site......What is the ATA and weight?

The Katera has been discontinued for a year or two...it was a 36" ATA on the XL model and about 4.5 lbs. mass weight. Anything along those lines would do fine for hunting...
    Draw length considerations may allow you something shorter if you have less than a 28' draw. If 30" or more I, personally, would look for something longer ATA, something 40-42".
    I personally don't like anything too terribly light mass weight-wise, the weight will make you somewhat steadier at the shot, unless you might have shoulder probs like some of us older far..., I mean archers, on here complain of.

I like Mathews myself and the Conquest Triumph is the new bow I want. 39" A2A with a 7" BH. If you have a long 30" or more draw you may want to stay longer A2A and BH.
    Finger Shooter-Mathews Conquest 3, Hoyt Ultratec, Mathews Rival Pro, Mathews Apex with a NAP Flipper and finger tab.
    Bows owned: Hoyt Ram, Mathews Feathermax, Hoyt Aspen, Martin Cougar, PSE XLR9000, Oneida, PSE Dakota, Reflex Caribou solid and split, Bowtech Constitution (should have kept).

Tell about cams for finger shooting

OK guys.....With ya'lls advice about ata and draw length,I'm looking at the Mathews Conquest Prestige...35" at 3.9 lbs or the Hoyt Carbon Matrix Plus...35" at 3.8 lbs.
    Tell me about cams for finger shooters....Which,if either bow would be my best choice?

My draw length when I shot a compound with fingers was 29"...That was when we all locked our bow arm in place....What should I do now that we are told it is best not to lock your bow arm?

Dont rule out the PSE Vendetta XL....I've shot both of Your other choices, and even though I am big fan of Hoyt bows, and Mathews bows also, the Vendetta XL would make a superb shorter, lighter Finger bow....The cams are a Hybrid design, have a decent valley, draw really smooth, and make excellent arrow speed, the bow is very quiet, and sweet shooting...A buddy of mine owns one, Ive shot it a bit, and highly recomend it for a hunting bow for a Finger shooter .....Jim
    Those who separate Politics, and Morality, will never understand either one....John Viscount Morley

I'm a big fan of the Martin, ShadowCat!

I will say the Conquest is a good choice though.
    Vandetta is a bit on the short side for someone shooting 29" draw, probably not a great choice for a long draw. PSE makes great bows but sincethey really have totally abandoned the finger shooters by not offering anything with an ATA in the 40's I would lean toward the other 3 manufacturers. (Martin, Hoyt, Mathews).
    NWSpinner,com
    Become a string maker but don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

I'm a big fan of the Martin, ShadowCat!
    What cam are you shooting?
    Finger Shooter-Mathews Conquest 3, Hoyt Ultratec, Mathews Rival Pro, Mathews Apex with a NAP Flipper and finger tab.
    Bows owned: Hoyt Ram, Mathews Feathermax, Hoyt Aspen, Martin Cougar, PSE XLR9000, Oneida, PSE Dakota, Reflex Caribou solid and split, Bowtech Constitution (should have kept).

I was at an archery shop yesterday and he had 2 new Mathews Drenalins...wanting to give me a deal because everyone wanted a shorter bow.
    Offered me either for $649..he said his cost..what do ya'll think for a 29" finger shooter...again I don't know which cam is best for finger shooters.
    The Drenalin is 37" ata & 7" BH....again I don't know which cam is best for finger shooters.

The minmax is the cam I like. It is not an option for you with that bow, but get the 65% let off. I have tried to shoot higher let off and do not have consistancy.

Can 'O' Worms anyone???
    Here goes... Shouldn't the question more properly be, "What's the longest A2A I can get and still get acceptable arrow speed?" The "shortest lightest" is what turns many finger shooters to the Dark Side...

OK...define "acceptable"
    one mans trash is another mans treasure. I much prefer accuracy over speed. There are alot of bows out there faster than my Barney's. There ain't a single one of 'em any more accurate! And speed...if you can't shoot it well... you just miss faster!

x2 on the Shadowcat. 41.25 ATA, awsome cams. If you can find one to shoot give it a try.
    Don.
    I shoot for...
    Louie Rangle-Gator Vanes
    Deer Crossing Archery-LD Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin ScepterV, Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

shoot whatever makes YOU happy....thats the best bow!

Quote Originally Posted by Plunker1 View Post
    OK guys....What is the shortest lightest bow I can get by with to bow hunt with fingers..
    I've shot bows for 50 years.Recurves...compounds with fingers...and tryed a release and don't like it at all.
    Depends on your Draw Length; finger shooters need the longer ATA bows to protect against finger pinch; so the longer your draw the longer your ATA.

example: 43" ATA for 29" draw

Bow Suggestions: Oneida http://www.cponeidaeagle.com/products.htm

I can't define acceptable speed for Plunker1, only he can, based on his 'normal' hunting situations. And in case you misunderstood me, I have 10 compounds hanging in the garage, and not 1 of them is under 44" ATA. The last year I hunted with a compound, I shot a PV Legacy (48" ATA) @ 80# with Prowheels....no speed demon by any stretch of the imagination, but for that 1 shot @ 6:30 AM with no warm-up, at a (most-likely) known yardage, I wouldn't trade it for a 350 FPS "shortest lightest" bow on a bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerdog56 View Post
    I can't define acceptable speed for Plunker1, only he can, based on his 'normal' hunting situations. And in case you misunderstood me, I have 10 compounds hanging in the garage, and not 1 of them is under 44" ATA. The last year I hunted with a compound, I shot a PV Legacy (48" ATA) @ 80# with Prowheels....no speed demon by any stretch of the imagination, but for that 1 shot @ 6:30 AM with no warm-up, at a (most-likely) known yardage, I wouldn't trade it for a 350 FPS "shortest lightest" bow on a bet.
    I agree completely... just wish I could still draw 80#! All the old and new bows I have(with one exception) are 44plus inches long. I have one old Pearson I bought a couple years ago for the riser, it is 39-40
    inches long. Oops, two exceptions...I have a Pro-Vantage FPS that is 43" long.

Everyone seems to be bragging about how "long" their bow is.I'm a hunting guide in Kansas.For my personal hunting I'm always in a treestand or Ground blind.The shorter the bow the easier to manuver around and especially in ground blinds.I feel like I'm getting my butt chewed for wanting to shoot a bow with less than 40" ata.I'm strictly a hunter,never shoot for recreation or tournaments...been there done that....
    I'm guess I now wish all 17 responders had just said I shoot this and really like it.I could see which bow got the most votes.

Time for my 2 cents .......... Shorter ata on a bow increases string angle, longer ata decreases string angle. These factors affect the " string pinch" effect on your fingers. ( note i said fingers not finger ) It is the general thought that the best string angle for finger shooting is achieved by shooting a bow with a longer ata ( usually 44+ inches ) . For hunting purposes you may decrease that length to 40 ata, giving up a little accuracy for some increase arrow speed and handling. If you have a draw length on the shorter side of 28 inches you may decrease that ata to less than 40 inches ( A little but not too much ) Shooting with one finger instead of two or three fingers will also allow you too decrease "finger pinch" and shoot with more letoff. The higher you go on let-off the less pressure you have on your finger(s). That pressure at full draw helps with a clean release and also helps prevent you from torquing or twisting the string at full draw. So try to keep your letoff closer to that 65 percent than 80 percent. So in a nut shell. For the average Joe finger hunting bow- Around a 40 inch ata- Keep the brace height at 7 inches or more- Don't go too high on let-off so the string can pull itself away from your fingers. There are many good bows out there that will meet your needs. I shoot a 29 inch draw Martin shadowcat at 60lbs with two fingers and carbon arrows.... Love it !!! Note.... A set up similar to the one described above should allow you to have reasonable accuraccy and handling with enough speed too use only one pin for everything 20 yds and under.......... IMHO

What's working for me is an Athens Exceed. 37"ata,28" draw,2 finger realease.It's a perfect blend of speed and accuracy for me,but what really sold me was the draw-smooth and seamless.

Hunter57, very well put; Fuelracerpat; I can't shoot 80# anymore either; Plunker1; No one's chewing anyones butt. If I came across that way, I apologize. I was trying to comment on what I thought was your "Quest for speed". Your need for a short bow isn't dictated by a speed requirement, but by the confined spaces that you hunt in/from. (including that requirement in the original post might have eliminated the need for this one) The "bragging" about long bows was to illustrate to FRP that I agreed with his philosophy on forgiveness/consistency versus speed, and that it's a fact (apparently not well known) that you'll get away with a whole lot more garbage in your release/form with a long ATA, high brace height bow than you will a short ATA, low brace height one. I could go on and on about rangefinders being the great speed equalizer, or having to make that 1 shot count after sitting motionless for hours, but I imagine you already plugged those factors into the equation. So good luck, buy the bow that gets the most votes and I'm sure you'll "get by" with it just fine...

Keeping in mind that a Parallel limb bow will achieve the same string angles as a longer bow, at a shorter A-T-A length...And some bows have shorter A-T-A lengths, but due to having larger eccentrics, will still have decent string angles for their A-T-A lengths...At my draw length of approx. 28", I wouldnt feel handicapped hunting with a 34"-37" Parallel limbed bow and shooting Fingers with it...I do drop one finger off the string, though...Personal picks would be a Katera XL or Vectrix XL or Maxxis 35 from Hoyt..And/Or a Drenalin LD or Apex 7 from Mathews, or a PSE Vendetta XL...The Vendetta XL would be the most likely choice, due to it's longer valley, and light weight...I'm shooting a Hoyt Vantage X7 right now, and at Approx. 41", and a little over 7" brace height, it is a wonderful all-round type bow for Me...Long enough, fast enough, smooth enough, and I'm pulling the Cam 1/2 Plus cams through my clicker...I would shoot 3-D and Bowhunt with this bow without any doubts in my choice of bow....Jim
    Those who separate Politics, and Morality, will never understand either one....John Viscount Morley

I love shooting the Athens Exceed. It is 37" ATA with 7" brace height. Very forgiving bow for fingers. I shoot it for 3D and for hunting. The price isn't bad either.

Rhody creek Archery (MT)
    Authorized Martin / Athens Archery Dealer: 406-564-8372

Martin Factory Staff, Bohning Pro Staff, Trophy Taker Pro Staff, Gold Tip Advisory Staff, Bust-A-Buck Sales Rep (MT).

I've just finished my first week with my Barnsdale Classic X, already set a PB, this has to to be best shooting finger bow in the world and I've shot lots

Custom built to my spec for the price of many mass produced bows

This has to be the bargain bow that you'll enjoy shooting .....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast