a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitzenburger Dial o Fletch

Bitzenburger Dial o Fletch

Hey again, really hoping for some help with this one, i was expecting that the dial o fletch came with offset degrees on the dials or some way of telling, anyone have any ways of telling or tricks up there sleeve? Thanks again, Jake

Take an old arrow that is fletched with the off set that you like. Put it in the Jig, then put the clamp on jig with it being held open. Adjust the off set until the clamp is in the right spot, on the fletched arrow. Hope this makes sense. It will take a litlle trial and error but it will work.
    Enjoy the hard times in the field. You have all year to heal.
    Hoyt Vector 35
    340 FMJ
    QAD
    Spot Hogg

makes sense, thanks!

I love the guys on here that say something like "Well I use a Bitz jig and I put exactly 8.72 degrees of helical on my vanes"...Give me a break.
    I just do a dry run with mine and keep putting helical on them until the vane doesnt want to lay down on the shaft...I shoot Blazers all the time and I try to get all I can on them.
    John's Customs Pro Staff Manager
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 Snow, QAD Hoyt HDX, Sure Loc LW Max, Fuse Quiver, B-Stinger stabs, GT Pro Hunter arrows

Quote Originally Posted by J-Daddy View Post
    I love the guys on here that say something like "Well I use a Bitz jig and I put exactly 8.72 degrees of helical on my vanes"...Give me a break.
    I just do a dry run with mine and keep putting helical on them until the vane doesnt want to lay down on the shaft...I shoot Blazers all the time and I try to get all I can on them.
    "supposedly" mine is set at 120 degree with a right wing jig. whatever it is works for me. these flex fletch vanes are great too. even thru a wb. what cracks me up are the guys that say a helicle thru a wb takes speed away. at 320 fps its hardly noticable.
    "The Arrow is everything"
    "Never Give Up........Ever"
    "I Call, They Come, I Kill Them" Gregg Stevens
    "Not all Elk Encounters are Created Equal" Paul Medel aka ElkNut1
    "The Rockies are no place to find out you are not in shape" Trophyhill

Quote Originally Posted by J-Daddy View Post
    I do measure mine, but can only see well enough to estimate the twist to the nearest tenth of a degree.

"supposedly" mine is set at 120 degree with a right wing jig.
    that's the vane spacing, not the offset or helical.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    I do measure mine, but can only see well enough to estimate the twist to the nearest tenth of a degree.

that's the vane spacing, not the offset or helical.
    i got ya. how do you estimate your twist or degree of helicle? still new to building my own arrows but it's kind of cool actually. the owners manual says i can do a 4 fletch with it too. have you ever done 4 vanes?

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhill View Post
    i got ya. how do you estimate your twist or degree of helicle? still new to building my own arrows but it's kind of cool actually. the owners manual says i can do a 4 fletch with it too. have you ever done 4 vanes?
    4-fletch is for Utards.

Getting the degree is a simple matter of measuring the amount of offset and the vane length. For a blazer (any of the 2" vanes) every 1/10th of an inch of offset is about 3-degrees offset. Doesn't really do me much good other than to be able to recreate 4-year old arrows.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

I've been building my own arrows for decades and not once have I measured or felt concerned about the actual % of offset, twist or what ever. I just set them the way I want and it's no trouble to produce consistently fletched arrows from one batch to the next. It's easy to experiment with various pitches of angle and twist.
    It's not like I'm producing a product for a clientele that expects a specific product based on specifications.
    Otherwise, it can be measured if needed, but why?
    Rod
    ---------------------------------
    If we weren't meant to eat them, they wouldn't be made out of meat.

The older I get, The better I was.

All the degrees on the jig equal up to 360 degrees. Bitzenburgers do 3 fletch, or 4 fletch (used to shoot 4 fletch). If you try the method I spoke about from above as a starting point, you can always add a little more twist in the vane by adjusting the back end. After you make your adjustment, take a ungluesd vane, put it in the clamp, then attack it to the jig, and see how well the base of the vane sits on the shaft. Make your fine adjustments from there.

The offset clamps are for target shooters who want maximum speed, with some stability. The Helical clamps are for broadheads because they get the arrow spinning sooner to help stabilize the arrow. But I always use a helical on all my arrows reguard less if they are hunting or target arrows.
    Hoyt Vector 35
    340 FMJ
    QAD
    Spot Hogg

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post

Getting the degree is a simple matter of measuring the amount of offset and the vane length. For a blazer (any of the 2" vanes) every 1/10th of an inch of offset is about 3-degrees offset. Doesn't really do me much good other than to be able to recreate 4-year old arrows.
    so it looks like i have a minimum at 3 degrees which is fine by me.

Firearrow
    View Profile
    View Forum Posts
    Private Message
    Add as Contact
    The Helical clamps are for broadheads because they get the arrow spinning sooner to help stabilize the arrow.

and that was my reason for buying this jig. not to mention that when i had the kid at the shop fletch my arrows they wouldn't last too long until a vane would come loose on the back side.

Just got my Bitz today. Do all the clamps hit front and rear with about 3/32 daylight in the middle ? or is it just mine ?
    Rigginuts

"Take away a mans dreams and you will take away his soul" me

Quote Originally Posted by rigginuts View Post
    Just got my Bitz today. Do all the clamps hit front and rear with about 3/32 daylight in the middle ? or is it just mine ?
    If you're not hitting in the middle, then you have it pitch too much.
    Another tip is, if you're using 2" vanes like Blazers, it's best to slip another vane in the clamp just above the one you are gluing to the shaft. This aids in keeping an even grip on the vane with the clamp. Otherwise the clamp will be looser at the butt of the vane and cause you problems with getting it properly glued to the shaft.
    Rod
    ---------------------------------
    If we weren't meant to eat them, they wouldn't be made out of meat.

The older I get, The better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by slickstalker View Post
    Another tip is, if you're using 2" vanes like Blazers, it's best to slip another vane in the clamp just above the one you are gluing to the shaft. This aids in keeping an even grip on the vane with the clamp. Otherwise the clamp will be looser at the butt of the vane and cause you problems with getting it properly glued to the shaft.
    Good tip!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    — Dr. Seuss (The Lorax)

Quote Originally Posted by slickstalker View Post
    I think it's just the opposite. I need more pitch to get the left side of the clamp off the arrow shaft. Hope that makes since.
    Rigginuts

Take picture so we can see what you see. Do you have a vane in, or no vane with day light?
    Hoyt Vector 35
    340 FMJ
    QAD
    Spot Hogg

Quote Originally Posted by trophyhill View Post
    so it looks like i have a minimum at 3 degrees which is fine by me.

Firearrow
    View Profile
    View Forum Posts
    Private Message
    Add as Contact
    The Helical clamps are for broadheads because they get the arrow spinning sooner to help stabilize the arrow.

and that was my reason for buying this jig. not to mention that when i had the kid at the shop fletch my arrows they wouldn't last too long until a vane would come loose on the back side.
    What does this mean. Not sure where you are going with this. Did I piss someone off again?
    Hoyt Vector 35
    340 FMJ
    QAD
    Spot Hogg

Quote Originally Posted by Firearrow View Post
    Take picture so we can see what you see. Do you have a vane in, or no vane with day light?
    I tried it doesn't show up very good. If I put the clamp on the shaft with no vane the clamp will touch on the ends with about 3/32" of daylight in the middle.
    Rigginuts

What does this mean. Not sure where you are going with this. Did I piss someone off again?
    no not at all. i simply said my reason for going to a helacle was to help stabilize broadhead flight. i was agreeing with you you're not one of those guys that go around pissing guys off now are you lol

I tried it doesn't show up very good. If I put the clamp on the shaft with no vane the clamp will touch on the ends with about 3/32" of daylight in the middle.
    mine does the same thing so i think it must be the norm. doesn't seem to affect anything once i push the vane down onto the shaft

The clamps have bit of "arch" in them because they're made to fletch "around" an arrow, including long fletches going on big fat aluminum shafts. Use that old stuff and the clamp actually high centers if you have lots of helical.

If you have to have extra "pinch" to get the left side of the vane to make good contact you probably need to center the clamp better.

I would say that your clamp might be a little not right. Try with a vane in, and there should definatly be no light. This is just my take though. Also put the bottom of the vane on the third line from the bottom, on the clamp.
    Hoyt Vector 35
    340 FMJ
    QAD
    Spot Hogg

OK, I just looked at mine, and it has the gap.
    Hoyt Vector 35
    340 FMJ
    QAD
    Spot Hogg

I would say that your clamp might be a little not right. Try with a vane in, and there should definatly be no light. This is just my take though. Also put the bottom of the vane on the third line from the bottom, on the clamp.
    I line the end of my vanes up with the end of the jig where it turns down. This gives me about 3/8 from vane to end of carbon for added stability.

Does your arrow start to pillow (ass end wobble) at longer distances? Never set it that far back before. Well it must work if ya if you are still using that set up.
    Hoyt Vector 35
    340 FMJ
    QAD
    Spot Hogg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast