a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: best sock material for cold weather?

best sock material for cold weather?

well, i bought a pair of $100 rubber camo insulated boots a couple years ago and the first year i wore them i was dragging out my 10 pointer and got an antler thru the side of them. they were expensive boots and my friend said he could fix them with some roofing stuff, it worked. then next season came and the seams of the boots started leaking and i do have to cross a creek every day going to my favorite spot. so my new plan is to throw out the $100 boots and buy some of the regular uninsulated black rubber boots from wal-mart for $14 (wont hurt so bad to throw them away when they start leaking) and find some of the best cold weather socks money can buy! ive heard cotton is the worst but does anyone know whats best? and do i need to layer up to get good warmth? Thanks, Dennis

ONE SHOT ONE KILL

Dennis, I dont know what the best is, but I have been using SmartWool socks fro several years and am very happy with them !
    NRA Hunters Rights Site *HSUS Watchdog Site* Join the USSA <- click here
    As of 12/31/2010, HSUS had a net worth of $187.5 million. - They want to stop ALL hunting ! GET INVOLVED TO STOP THEM!
    NJ Hunters, Join The NJ Outdoor Alliance - Click Here http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/ for more info

Thumbs up

Thinking more about this...is there a way you can patch the good boots? And get a pair of these which are awesome ! Even if your boots start to leak again, your socks will stay dry ! These are really good ......

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=&cmCat=search
    NRA Hunters Rights Site *HSUS Watchdog Site* Join the USSA <- click here
    As of 12/31/2010, HSUS had a net worth of $187.5 million. - They want to stop ALL hunting ! GET INVOLVED TO STOP THEM!
    NJ Hunters, Join The NJ Outdoor Alliance - Click Here http://www.njoutdooralliance.org/ for more info

I tried some of the "Under Armour" socks this year under a pair of heavier wool socks and my feet stayed toasty.

You can find the Under Armour stuff on EBay or in some of the sporting goods stores (ie Dicks etc).

Jon

The key is to wear a light pair of wicking socks under the heavier socks. I wear something called Ultimax for my light layer and they are superb at wicking. My over layer is a wool blend, might even be 100% wool, from Filson. Works pretty well for me.

You might also consider getting the cheap rubber boots and just wear them to walk in and cross the stream. Then put your leather boots on to hunt. I use to hunt aplace that required hipboots to get to and that's what I did. Just left the boots at the stream side.

No Cotton

Do not use cotton next to your skin, especially in socks.

Most recommend a light wicking sock of man made material. Thorlo, Wigam, Rocky and several others offer wicking socks under a number of trade names (Ultimax, Capilene, etc) Then use a newer high tech or wool sock over the wicking sock. If you are able to wear wool against your skin without irritation try Merino wool or Smart Wool without the wicking sock.

I prefer the wicking sock with a Thorlo high tech wool over it. These aren't inexpensive socks but they do work and they don't sag down.

I would also suggest two types of inexpensive boots from Sportsmans Guide. One is an over shoe type from Lacrosse with a felt liner that sells for about $15. I wouldn't recommend this first one if your planning on lots of walking.

The other is a regular rubber boot with felt liner and only sell for about $34 called Baffin -40's (end of season I've seen these go for $25). I had a pair of these for years before the rubber "thinsulate " boots got to be the big thing. They will really keep your feet warm.

Both are decent inexpensive boots to wear on stand.
    Hoyt 2007 Trykon (Ol' Deathwind), Drop Zone (Target), Easton Axis, Rage 2-Blade

Thanks for the replies guys, thats some great info. by the way i did try to fix the seams on the 1200gr thinsulate rocky's with some siicone sealer and it didnt work to well, just seems like rubber boots tend to dry rot or crack along the seams. might even be from the rubber getting stiff in the very cold weather, not sure, but i am sure i dont want to get new $100 boots every year or two. im going to keep an eye open for some of the forementioned socks above. Thanks again, Dennis
    ONE SHOT ONE KILL

I agree

Smartwool socks are the warmest i've ever worn,here it can get very cold and in 4 years of wearing smartwool socks i've never had cold feet.They wick moisture away fairly well,now my feet stay dry too!

Up here in the great white north its wicking socks under wool or wool blend. Never, ever cotton. The other key to warm toes is circulation. If you boots fit tight then your feet will get cold much faster. My question about the rubber boots is how much do your feet sweat? If they sweat then you need to only wear them crossing the stream and get some boots that will breath. The other option is to change socks once you get to your stand.
    Snoopy.
    Put down the rifle and step away from the pickup! Its time to hunt!!

http://randolphdj.smugmug.com/
    http://www.camospace.com/user/djrandolph/
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff

Smartwool

I agree with the smartwool. I've used them for 3 years and have never had cold feet since!! They offer many different weights....I use the hunter weight. I saw these listed for $9.99 on sierratradingpost.com. They usually go for $17-18

How do the new XScent socks work? They are made with xstatic and are thermodynamic.

XScent socks:
    Fabric: 82% cotton, 10% Nylon, 5.5% Spandex, 2.5% X-STATIC® (5% in foot area)

How do they really do at wicking away your perspiration?

I used to wear rubber boots in and then put on oversized light weight running shoes with extra socks.
    Depending on your treestand be careful with heeled boots. It's easy to get sore feet or twist an ankle.

Lacrosse ankle fit boots aren't too expensive when caught on sale. At least get the ankle fit type of whatever make. I wore myself out walking in sloppy fitting cheap boots, ONCE!
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    Supra ME, BowMadness 34, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

I picked up a pair of Muck Woody Max boots this year and I recommend them to anyone who wants to try something other than the norm. They are a rubber bottom boot with a neoprene upper lined with moisture wicking fleece on the inside. On my feet I'll agree with the Smartwool guys...it works great for wicking and that is what keeps you warm....dry feet. When I get to my stand...if its ultracold...I'll slip on Arctic Shield Socks over the smart wool. The Arctic Shields will trap your body heat inside the sock so will NEVER have cold feet again. If it's 0 or -anydegree I'll go a step further and slip on my Arctic Shield over boot warmer if I plan on sitting all day. I used this system a few days this year and I never thought about my feet....just the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilfan
    How do the new XScent socks work? They are made with xstatic and are thermodynamic.

XScent socks:
    Fabric: 82% cotton, 10% Nylon, 5.5% Spandex, 2.5% X-STATIC® (5% in foot area)

How do they really do at wicking away your perspiration?
    I know nothing about them but at 82% cotton, I'd run like a scalded dog away from them. Cotton is for when you have a date or going fishing. Has no purpose in deer hunting.

I too like the Muck Woody Max. Been well pleased with mine for two years.

X-scent uses pure silver fiber to eliminate (or reduce) bacteria and thus stink. The silver also circulates body heat in cold weather. I have a pair of X-Scent liner socks I got from Fox River that don't have cotton in them. They work well for smell, but I haven't worn them in particularly cold weather, so I can't attest to their claimed cold weather functions.

I'll second all the comments about Smartwool. Actually, this is Merino wool with some synthetics mixed in (spandex for stretch, nylon for wicking). Merino wool has very fine fibers and stands up to abuse much better than ragg wool (which is cheap, but wears out quickly). Spend the extra dough upfront on merino wool socks, and you'll get years out of them if you properly care for them. Wigwam, Thor-Lo and Patagonia all make excellent merino wool socks.

As far as socks I wear a silk sock then regular heavy cotton. I also have a insulated sole in the bottom of my rubber boots. For the most part I wear my not so insulated rubber boots for all seasons, only to get out my insulated for only extreem temps. I have used the same pair of boots for at least 8 years with no leaks. I think the trick is the same as waders. Not to leave them in a car exposed to direct sun light or in something like a trunk. As long as they retain their shape as mine have just store in a cool dry area. If they start to sag or fall over need to hang them.

As said above;
    material - Merino wool
    Brands - Thorlo or Smartwool

use a liner sock

make sure the boots fit good and you have good circulation.

Ll Bean Hicking Sock

They come in 3 weights, are merino wool and have the polypropylene (wicking) liner already built in. I used to wear the liner and outer sock but this does the same job without the hassle of the liner sock slipping and moving around.

The heavyweight version keeps my feet warm and dry while on stand. They are expensive but I have not yet found anything better. I own multiple pairs in all 3 weights.

HUNT SAFE !!!! . . .

Merino wool socks with a wicking interior liner, work great. A couple weeks ago it dipped to -40, -50 with the windchill and the only thing on me that was warm were my feet. All I was wearing over top were my Danner patrol boots. I use the ones made by Mgenius, you can get them through Cabelas.

thanks, i went with the merino wool socks, i found a great daal on ebay 3 pairs for $15 shipped. got 3 for me and 3 for my dad. heres a link if anyone is interested. they have more. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=74006
    ONE SHOT ONE KILL

Polypropolyne liner sock and the most pue merino wool sock you can find.
    Make sure when you are shopping, look carefully at material contents. I have seen many "wool" socks having less than 15% actual wool, and remainder is nothing more than acrylic. Acrylic is good but nowhere near wool, in regards to wicking.

Obviously it will be almost impossible to find 100% wool socks and have elastic fit...so look for the highest content wool you can find and go with them.

Stay away from cotton period.
    Just another hunter in the woods

Get yourself some Seal Skins socks to put over your regular socks. They are 100% waterproof but they dont breath well.

Wear Wigwam Ingenius socks inside of Smart wool socks. The Ingenius wick and are warm. The Smart wool are very warm. You can get both of them here.

http://www.sockcompany.com/

tonite i went to a meijers store to check out their close out stuff and i found a pair of winchester camo boots with 200gr thinsulate on clearence for $19.90, and when she rang me up she took another 20% off that dont know why, but any way im sure these will be better than the black wal-mart boots because they atleast have ankle fit and some insulation. btw way i also saw some merino wool socks by woolrich on clearence for $5 but they were only 32%. i think ill be alright with the new boots and and 72% merino wool socks.... now only 7 months to go before i get to use this stuff i sure hope the time fly's cuz im already dying to get back in the woods and hunt! thanks, you guys really helped me out again Dennis
    ONE SHOT ONE KILL

Your boots should be about 1 1/2 size bigger than normal.
    Use wool socks only. No cotton.
    Merino wool is my first sock,the second one is pure heavy wool. Like rag wool.
    If your boots with heavy sock are too tight you will get cold.
    It works for me in Wisconsin where I bowhunt in temps from 70F to 0F.
    Vodekz
    WZ