Thread: Refinishing a Recurve?

Refinishing a Recurve?

I am about to come in to possession of a Darton recurve. The previous owner painted camouflage on the riser and part of the limbs. I was wondering if you thought it would be safe to sand off the camouflage and stain or varnish the wood once I have it down to bear wood. Is this safe or would it hurt the integrity of the bow? Any adivce or experience would be a ppreciated.

I would not encourage anyone to try sanding down a paint job on the limbs that isnt very familiar with the process. There are folks that specialize in refinishing bows and that might be a better option if it is a must that it be stripped.

http://www.prairietrad.com/page8.html,
    this outfit does this all the time check out his website and look at some of his restoration jobs he has done, for a home project i would research articles on Gunstock refinishing, it would be the same, as far as taking the camo off, if you could strip the camo off the finish under may be good, if it has any laminates on it be careful not to get any stripper on them it eats the stuff like crack, if it is a all wooden Recurve i would get some stripper and strip away, and try it, always always remember to fill the grain until it is solid and your finish will look great, i don't know what your funds are if it was me and i had a extra $120.00 i could spare i would send it out and have the BowDoc refinish it and it will look as good as new or (yes) better and then your resale value would be up, he can trim weight from the limbs and retiller them at the same time, i added a couple of pics for you to see of his work, i will buy bows that i over looked because of the finish, to get a end product like that, so it opens up new options, if you are not a member of tradgang you should join up just to see the reviews over there, hey pm me anytime i have done some Gunstocks i.e. filling the grain it is time consuming at the least, but you can see how tight the grain is on the after product, that bow looks better than when it was new or give me a call 207-595-5826 Armand
    Fargnoli__Nick_-_Bear_Kodiak_Hunter.JPGFargnoli___Bear_after.JPG
    Paramadness Bow Slings, Survival Bracelets, Binocular Straps, Key FOB's, Release Laynards, Custom Braiding Available,
    B-50 Flemished Strings, 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
    "Bear TD A-Riser, Kodiak Hunter 45#, Super Magnum 50#, Kodiak Magnum 45#, Kodiak Super 47#, "

I am glad I asked! I guess I will wait and see when I pick it up today and decide what I want to do with it.

Depending on the type of paint used, you may be able to remove it with a solvent. I have used laquer thinner to successfully remove paint and old glue/tape without even hurting the finish. Try a small area first. Do not have the rag dripping, just wet. You dont want to saturate the surface. It takes a while to do an entire bow (you have to changes rags alot) but it will sometimes work.

I picked it up and contacted Darton to get the year and any recommendations that they have. I may try to lightly sand/steel wool it or use a paint stripper. I only paid $40 for it so it isn't a big investment at this point.

Don't use the strippers with methyl-anything in them, you could compromise the adhesive holding the bow together. If there are any nicks in the finish on the edge of the limbs (very common on old bows) the stripper could get in and cause trouble. The orange-type strippers shouldn't be a problem, though.

Have a look around Droptine Traditions website.

Refinish bows

I agree with Arrowood. I have added in a pervious post that I (now stupidly) used Methel Hydrate to remove a name. I used very little on a cotton ball and got instant finish removal down to the bare wood.
    Good luck

Agree, paint stripper is nasty. Seriouly, try a little laquer thinner on a cloth.

Can't edit my post above, so just to clarify, I was thinking of the old methylene chloride, dichloromethane aka DCM strippers.

Holy smokes....that picture of the Prairie Trad bow....wow. I'm calling that dude right meow.

ya they are real nice job, and i want one too, it opens up a whole new prospect of buying used bows!
    Paramadness Bow Slings, Survival Bracelets, Binocular Straps, Key FOB's, Release Laynards, Custom Braiding Available,
    B-50 Flemished Strings, 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
    "Bear TD A-Riser, Kodiak Hunter 45#, Super Magnum 50#, Kodiak Magnum 45#, Kodiak Super 47#, "