a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: What choke do you use to duck hunt?

What choke do you use to duck hunt?

I want to buy a new choke tube to hunt ducks with this year and since i dont have the money to buy 3 or 4 and see which one patterns best with my gun I want your opinion. What brand(if aftermarket) and is it mod, full, etc... Also what kind of hunting do you do i.e. flooded timber, open water, etc.. and what shells do you shoot. Last year I shot my stoeger m2000 with the factory modified choke and I feel like I could do better with an aftermarket choke.

I shoot a Benelli SBE II with factory chokes. I find myself using the modified choke most often, but will sometimes tighten up if the ducks aren't coming in close. Most of my hunting is done over flooded fields and I've had good luck with Winchester XPert Hi-Velocity steel shot. I've tried several more expensive shells, but never noticed a benefit over the cheaper Winchester ammo.

ttt

I hunt with a Xtrema 2 with factory IC choke for decoying ducks, Mod for pass shooting ducks and geese . It may be cheaper to use your stock choke and buy many different shells and pattern the gun.

Got an older Benelli M-1 with a Terror Choke I bought six or seven years ago. Great, consistent patterns... most shots are within 35 but I've crushed them at 50+

Rem choke, in full
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff
    Elite Z28 30/60
    Chief Arrow Stick Out

I have a Stoeger model 2000 as well and i shoot Winchester Xpert HV steel in 3" #4 shot exclusively. I shoot improved cylinder and i hunt over decoys in an open marsh so i occasionally have a pass shot as well. That gun is deadly out to about 60 yards with that combo and has destroyed a few that got a little too close in to the decoys.
    HCA Iron Mace 62#@30" G5 LE, Meta Peep. Limbdriver,FMJ 400@28 1/4" FOB's Slick Trick 100gr:Bowtech Allegiance 60#@30" G5 ME, Meta Peep,Limbdriver,A/C superslim 340@29" Slick Trick 100gr:Alphamax 32, 29 1/2" 60# G5 XR, Meta peep, Limbdriver,a/c superslim 340, Shuttle T-locs 100gr:82nd Airborne 30" 60# Axcell Armortech,Meta peep, Limbdriver, Axis .300@29" Slick Trick Mags 100 grain:

SX2 with an invector plus LightMod Midas choke. I mostly hunt open water now, but i've used that choke for everything from flooded timber to field hunting and its always produced well for me. I used to swear by kent faststeel 2s...but i've since been shooting winchester Xperts in #3 and its been a sweet round for me. its patterned real well for me out to 40yds. so i use it for everything from goose to sodak pheasants.

In my 20 ga I run Mod over IC. In the SBE II usually use IC. Factory chokes in both.
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

I shoot a Benelli Super Black Eagle II. Kent 3" 1 1/4oz #3s for everything.
    LM (light mod) Trulock Choke for Woodies (short range)
    IM (Imp mod) Trulock Choke for Open Water Divers (long range)

I have patterned every choke in the market and for my gun and shells, trulocks pattern the best.

Every gun/choke combination patterns different, and it is important that you pattern your gun with several chokes to gain confidence.
    2011 Elite Pure 31" DL 70# AT ~ Doinker 10" Hunting Stabilizer ~ Tilt Tamer ~ HHA XL-5519 ~ Ripcord Code Red ~ Tightspot Quiver ~ Carter Chocolate Lite ~ G5 Striker 125gr ~ Easton Axis 300 ~ Bohning Blazers

remmington full choke works for me but thinking of getting a patternmaster

I have several shotguns and it definately depends on the gun. Pattern your gun for sure before you make a purchase. I have a stoeger 2000 as well and mine didnt pattern well with the mod choke but the full was pretty tight esp for those closer shots. It all depends on what your doing. For field hunting and longer distances full is usually the better choice. but if your hunting in a spot where your shots will vary consistantly close to far then mod might be a better choice. I upgraded to a mod carlson tube on my stoeger and it definately patterned alot better. my remingtons patterned about as good as it gets with their stock tubes. all depends on the gun man. good luck to you.
    ~~~Fire up the grill cuz bowhuntin ain't catch and release~~~
    Ninja'd Carbon Element G3, QAD Bone Collector, AXT Primal XD
    Gold Tip NTG, Silent Knights, Game Changer Quiver, Rage Chisel Tip 3 blades

I shoot a Benelli SBL II with three and half inch #3 shop Xperts with factory chokes. Most of the time we hunt over flooded fields and I use a improved cylinder. We also hunt open water and I still use a IC. Sometimes if they want to land wide I will change to a Mod. but this works for me and it's my go to setup I have used expensive shells with expensive chokes and what I have found is that I kill more with this setup, and your gun may, and probably will, pattern totally different. If I were you I would ask all my hunting buddies to give up a shell or two and see what factory choke patterns the best with different brands and shot size. In my struggle to find a good choke I found that my factory chokes were just as good if not better than aftermarket. You may find out that your new $70 choke wont pattern your brand of ammo any better than your factory chokes.
    I also like to stay with the same brand of ammo I can't hit diddle jumping back and forth from diffrent brands with different fps.

I shoot a Browning sitori lightning with mod choke over and full under for geese with 3 1/2 steel # 2 and BBs dumps them good to 50 yards
    on ducks I use #3 in 3 inch and a mod choke on divers, when we hunt dablers I use #3-4 3" with IC as most shots are inside 25yds
    We (myself and my buddys) have also shot heavy shot and the so called cheep shot and like some others on this tread we now use almost exclusivly the e-pert or fed. shot my advise to you is shoot the fastest steel you can get that patterns in your gun also steel does not shoot like lead shot and does not hit as hard so if you are used to lead my rule is if go up 1-2 size on shot IE 4 lead use 3 or 2s on steel this rule also depends on shooting distance the closer may not need bigger.

Love my Super NOVA and Kick's extended full combo!

Patternmaster or kicks hi flyer for me out of a winchester sx2 and xpert ammo knocks flat at insane distances
    2013 Elite Answer 70# 28" Easton FMJ Injexion Rage Hypodermic Axcel ArmorTech HD Pro

Rem 870 full choke over flooded rice with winchester expert hi velocity 2 shot. Shots are from point blank to 50 yards.