a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Dan Quillion recurve???????? Any thoughts?

Dan Quillion recurve???????? Any thoughts?

Hey all, I just picked up a couple of recurves today and one of the is a Dan Quillion takedown. I shot a couple of arrows through it, it seems alot quicker than my Super Kodiak which is higher poundage by a few pounds. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone in cyber-woods had some background info on the Quillion bows? The other bow is a Damon Howatt Hunter that I am going to clean up and post. Have a great day.
    MPscout

Last edited by mpscout; February 3rd, 2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: mispelling of title name

Dan Quillion is a full grown archery legend around these parts. He is given credit for getting Georgia an archery season way back when, and many advances in bowhunting.
    Dan is still selling some bows on Ebay now. He had a nice shop in Athens, Georgia for a long time and sold it a good while ago.

I believe he designed most of the bows and contracted out to someone else to make them. His recurves used to be made by Jeffery(sp)Archery. I am not sure who makes them now.

I know his Longhunter longbows and Canebreak and Patriot recurves were well thought of and still seen for sale pretty often.

I have heard,but can not swear to, that his newer longbows still shoot good but are not that much on looks. I really don't know if he still makes a recurve or not.

Quillian

Thanks for bringing this up - i have been looking for a lefty canebrake (45-55#) for a while now but have had no success. Anyone interested in selling theirs?

thanks

That really helps, thank you. The bow I have is a Patriot MMCX takedown. I have shot it and it seems to be very fast compared to my Super Kodiak. On the bows upper limb it has "archery traditions" silk screened on it.

Yes, That was dan's shop. It was sold and reopened in Athens Georgia. They use to be a big traditional dealer but someone told me they had expanded to gold clubs and compounds. I am not 100% sure if they are still operating or not as it is over an hour+ away and I am rarely in that area.This was/is their info.

Archery Traditions

Traditional archery equipment & accessories

City Athens , GA
    Country USA
    Toll Free Phone (888) 872-7769
    Phone (706) 543-1893
    Fax (706) 543-4300

I've had a Canebreak one piece for abut 15 years, very very fast about 70 LBs no problems whatsoever. I'm going to go to Athens tomorrow and see what the new owners are offering I stopped in a few years ago and they seemed like a good bunch and still were selling the same bow designs Dan came up with. I really haven't shot the recurve that much because I bought one of his longbows ( red elm longhunter about 68 lbs) a few months after I bought the recurve and have shot the heck out of it ever since.

I went in there last year. They have moved it to where Franklin's used to be, on Hawthorne. More of a golf shop now with archery in the back. They were carrying Mathews, AR and maybe PSE if I remember right. Very little inventory to speak of. I woudn't make a special trip to see it.
    Joey