Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diy coil chrono build instructions

Diy coil chrono build instructions

Last month, I made a post on this forum in which I gave instructions for inexpensively building a chronograph for measuring arrow speeds, and how to use free software to read the results. Many people took interest in this project, and like other projects on the DIY forum, the input from other members helped the project to evolve into a much more user-friendly tool.

Of particular note, helsyeah decided to work on his own software called COIL CHRONO for using a DIY Coil Chronograph. He is planning to make this software available, along with instructions and source code, to the members on the archerytalk.com forums. I really want to thank helsyeah for taking on this project and for the enormous amount of time he put into making such a useful and effective program.

Because this project is so simple to build, almost everyone who has built one so far has come up with their own method using the materials available to them. In order to assist others who would like to build a coil chronograph, I decided to describe another version using inexpensive materials that are readily available. I do not claim that this is the best or cheapest method, but it does work well and provides a standard construction technique.

Attached is a .zip file containing a .pdf of the assembly instructions.

Assembly_Instructions.zip

amazing thanks for your hard work. think im gonna build me one.

WOW... This is amazing work. I am truly thinking this might be something I can do, and use if I start shooting ASA or IBO. Thanks for your hard work.

thanks ...

I received a PM from straddleridge about some testing he has done with his DIY Chrono, and with his permission I am posting it here.

Quote Originally Posted by straddleridge
    veni vidi vici:

I thought you might appreciate this. I made a general archery program and to check things I do a lot of shooting and take a lot of data. Of course one of the most important things is speed.

When I take speed data for a setup I always use my radarchron and the exact same arrow. It happens to be a 28" arrow with 2.8 inch vanes and a 100 grain field tip and weighs 388 grains.

I happened to switch the tip from a field tip to an ogive tip a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the ogive tip was always slower by about 3 fps. Doesn't make sense.

Yesterday on the same arrow I switched tips to 85, 100 and 125 grain saunders combo points. My radarchron had the 85 grain point slower than the 100 grain point. Doesn't make sense.

I dragged out my diy coil chronograph and made some measurements. Shot the arrows with the radarchron attached through the diy coil chronograph. Here are the results - average of 3 shots each:

-----------------100------100------100-----------125---------85
    ---------------field tip---ogive---saunders---saunders---saunders

radar----------235-------232-----231------------224--------233
    diy chrono----234-------234-----233------------225--------239

I think the diy coil chrono is more accurate.

OK dagnabit, now I'm going to have to build me one of these things.

Sweet instruction document really well done great post!
    NWSpinner,com
    Don't waste your time wrapping your servings by hand check out the NWSpinner!

Teach a kid archery, you'll be rewarded with a lifetime of smiles!

Ok this is awesome, really awesome thanks for the hard work and sharing the knowledge!!

Do you know if this would work with a gun?

This is great. It really looks like this has been close to perfected and I am going to take a crack at this again. My macbook is on the fritz so I am using a family member's PC laptop lately and this could totally work for me now.

Hopefully if I can get this put together soon, I'll post results and thoughts.
    2014 Martin Lithium :: 2007 Martin Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-Down
    REAL AVID Field Staff :: Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Did not work for me, I used 18AWG dog fence wire. Tried coilchrono and audacity and can not get either one to work. I am just about to the give up and buy a chronograph point.

Quote Originally Posted by edmondsmatt View Post
    Did not work for me, I used 18AWG dog fence wire. Tried coilchrono and audacity and can not get either one to work. I am just about to the give up and buy a chronograph point.
    Couple things for you to try:

• Do you have access to a multi-meter? If so double-check that you have a complete circuit through the coils (you should either get full continuity, or a fairly low resistance).
    • Have you tried magnetizing a field tip? I would assume so, but wanted to ask. VVV used a magnet and stroked it along a field point to get it magnetized. I just stuck my field points in the magnetic end of a socketed screw-driver and it worked for me.

I tried dropping a magnet right through the coils, give me a few minutes to snap pictures of what I have already. I also have some small rare earth magnets that I am getting ready to try. Complete circuit is good, my fluke confirms that my soldering skills are still ok.
    Last edited by edmondsmatt; July 17th, 2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Left out some info.

Quote Originally Posted by edmondsmatt View Post
    I tried dropping a magnet right through the coils, give me a few minutes to snap pictures of what I have already. I also have some small rare earth magnets that I am getting ready to try. Complete circuit is good, my fluke confirms that my soldering skills are still ok.
    cool, you may have to throw the magnet through the coils to see a decent pulse (the faster the magnet moves, the higher the peak of the pulse I *think*).

Here is the screen shot of the rare earth magnets free falling through. I might have to get some bigger RE Magnets though if I want to glue them to a point. The ones I have are very tiny (1/16" diameter and 1/31" thick disc) and so they are not very strong. One will not trigger the software, but 100 will.

Coil shot.PNG

ok i saw this awhile back and didnt pay much attention looked too complicated for me and i hate electrical work of any sort(hate tracing problems when you cant see them) but i want a chrono for testing the frankenbow i am making. i am going to give this a try cant wait to see the results. thanks for all your hard work guys.
    Proud Shooter of Breathn Built bows
    John's Custom Archery Killing Staff
    Stormy Hardwoods Camo

Ok, got everything lined out with the program and the coils. My problem was actually a self induced problem. If you are going to build a coil chrono, make sure you use a bow that is fast enough for the coils to pick up. I was trying to use a homemade PVC kids bow (94 fps) and had issues with the coils picking the tip up. After changing over to a much faster bow (291.9 fps) the signal came through crystal clear. If anyone is thinking about building one of these "Coil Chrono's" as Nike says "Just Do It." Mine was within 2 fps of the shop before adjusting the coil distance a little bit. Now it is in agreement with two light chronographs.

Thanks for the update, Matt. I'm glad it worked so well for you, and it's great that you are passing your lessons on to benefit others.

Wow that is alot of hard work done, thanks for sharing this info. gotta love AT.

OK, so it's now just over a year since I posted this. Has anyone else built one of these, and how is it working for you? If you haven't built one, summer is the perfect time to get your DIY on and give it a shot

Tried to download the software but the link appears to be broken??

Quote Originally Posted by figo40 View Post
    Tried to download the software but the link appears to be broken??
    Try sending AT member helsyeah a PM. He wrote the software and may not know that the download link is broken. If that doesn't work, I might be able to find the setup file and e-mail it to you.

lots of free hosts out there, just host it an link it up!

Sent via My Mobile Time Sucker
    Where do the bullets go in this thing?

I believe this is the latest version of the Coil Chrono software setup file. I hope it works for you guys.

CoilChrono_Latest.zip

Thanks for the link!

First off thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to having a go at making one of these. I went out in search of copper magnet wire today and went to a workshop that rewires electrical motors. He gave me three near empty spools of wire. By the looks of it just one will be enough to do the job as it has well over 100 loops of the 4 inch spool. Small quantities such as this appear to be too small for rewinding a motor so this gent was happy for me to take it away. No charge !!
    Anthony H

2010 Hoyt Vantage Pro
    Easton X10 Protour 520, Easton Fatboy 500s, NANO XR
    Carter Insatiable 2, Stan Black Ice

marking for later
    2011 Bowtech Destroyer 340 Stokerized HHA OL5500 W/third axis Octane batamweight Bowjax everything limbsaver Torqueless Competion grip
    Baldy's strings & tune g5 vaportrail limb driver pro v Carbon Express Blue Streak Select 350's Grim Reaper Razorcuts & Accunocks
    Tru Ball Beast Tru ball boss x 63 lb 30'' draw 358grain arrow @322fps

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast