a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Penetration Test #4

Hybrid View

Penetration Test #4

Testing has concluded for test 4.
    Results up around 10 pm, my, PST, time. Family in town, gotta entertain, lol.
    Some surprising results.

Hurry!!!!!

cant wait to see how the slick tricks did

Did you get any grim reapers? I'm having a tough time believing their penetration comparison videos.
    Mathews is an advertising agency that also happens to make bows...

Quote Originally Posted by bullfisher View Post
    Did you get any grim reapers? I'm having a tough time believing their penetration comparison videos.
    Not yet, but they are on the way.

OK, this one doesn't seem to be to the scale of the others for some reason, but informative none the less. Also in this one I shot a field point tipped arrow to establish a baseline of sorts, which I haven't done previously, but going forward I am going to start. The heads tested in this one were going to include two more heads, but the Wac 'Em Exit had a run in with a cinder block on it's confirmation run. I can't explain it, but all the others tracked straight down the middle and this one went 2 feet left and centered the block and took out my arrow too, lame. Also the Wasp Sharpshooter wouldn't tighten down for some reason, I will play with it some and figure out what happened.
    Tested today:
    Slick Trick Standard
    VPA Terminator
    NAP Hellrazor
    NAP Thunderhead
    Rocky Mountain Blitz

Once again the test bow is a 71# Bowtech Tribute with fast mods, drawn 29".
    Test arrows are a 28.25" Easton FMJ 340 with the standard insert, with a 100 grain point weighs 455 grains

Here is the field point. It went clear through the first shoulder, all the gelatin, and barely poked through the second.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Contrary to popular belief, there is a difference between sharing knowledge and forcing your opinion.

This is the VPA Terminator, sorry O.C., didn't get it. It only achieved 11" of penetration, but it did make a nice hole through the first bone. I did notice that this is a well built head and there was no damage from passing through the bone, other than dulling the blades. This head was new out of the package.
    Contrary to popular belief, there is a difference between sharing knowledge and forcing your opinion.

Now for everyone's hero, lol, the Slick Trick standard. This head came to me relatively sharp, but I sharpened it up very well before I shot it. One thing I did notice about this head, other than very accurate flight, was the inflight noise, seemed to be quite loud comparatively speaking. It also only achieved 11" of penetration, of the 13.5" possible. Other than dull blades, there was no damage to these heads as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey375 View Post
    Now for everyone's hero, lol, the Slick Trick standard. This head came to me relatively sharp, but I sharpened it up very well before I shot it. One thing I did notice about this head, other than very accurate flight, was the inflight noise, seemed to be quite loud comparatively speaking. It also only achieved 11" of penetration, of the 13.5" possible. Other than dull blades, there was no damage to these heads as well.
    It's a head with considerably more cutting surface than any other in your test. I would think the penetration would be expected. If a guy has the momentum (or KE) and the arrow is consistently passing through animals, I would always choose the BH that does the most damage. The noise makes no difference on game, by the time it's heard the shot is there.
    Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal.
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
    University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum

Quote Originally Posted by slim9300 View Post
    It's a head with considerably more cutting surface than any other in your test. I would think the penetration would be expected. If a guy has the momentum (or KE) and the arrow is consistently passing through animals, I would always choose the BH that does the most damage. The noise makes no difference on game, by the time it's heard the shot is there.
    By cutting surface, do you mean the total length of the blades?
    Ex:
    Slick Trick 4 blades @ .75" long each = 3"
    VPA 3 blades @ 1.25" each =3.75"
    Hellrazors 3 blades @ 1.4" each = 4.2".

Or did you mean diameter?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey375 View Post
    By cutting surface, do you mean the total length of the blades?
    Ex:
    Slick Trick 4 blades @ .75" long each = 3"
    VPA 3 blades @ 1.25" each =3.75"
    Hellrazors 3 blades @ 1.4" each = 4.2".

Or did you mean diameter?
    I am talking about the total blade cut.

Ex:
    Slick Trick 4 std. @ 0.5" + 0.5" + 0.5" + 0.5" = 2"
    Hellrazors 3 blades @ 0.5625" + 0.5625" + 0.5625" = 1.6875"
    2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)

Also, going forward, I won't be dying the gelatin. Makes it rather hard to see in the pictures. I thought it might look cool, but, not so much, lol.

OK, my surprise for the day, Rocky Mountain Blitz heads. Personally I never thought too much of these, with the steep blade angle, being much of a penetrator. They do fly well, however they gave the ST's a run for their money in the noise department. They got a full 13.5" of penetration, which I thought seemed fishy due to my own misgivings about them, so I shot them again, same results. Two of the blades bent after the second go round, but didn't break.

This is the NAP Hellrazor. This head also came to me rather dull, but I put an arm hair shaving edge on it before shooting. I have always liked the looks of these heads and appear to be very stout. Very quiet in flight. They got a full 13.5" of penetration also, which I almost expected from these. There was also no damage to this head.

Now for everyone's favorite, carnage. The EPIC FAIL, or the confetti, award of the day goes to...... the NAP Thunderhead. Again this head came to me in need of some TLC, so I resharpened the tip, sharpened the blades, shot it into my 18n1 to make sure it was going to go where I aimed, touched up the blades, double checked it, and shot it again. Well, something happened, and I didn't hit were I wanted to. Instead I shot an inch too high and, while still hitting bones, I missed the gelatin completely. This head absolutely came apart. While all of the three blades went through the first blade still attached, only one made it through the second one and promptly fell out. Why? No idea. I found the blade on the concrete 10 feet away from the sled, and still can't find the other. There was also quite a bit of deflection between the blades

There it is guys. Have fun with it. Yes, I will be doing an expandable only test here when they show up. And some further fixed testing also.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I was shooting at 30 yards. My expected initial velocity was about 280 fps.

Cool test, always makes me wonder about cutting diameter vs cutting surface. I believe the Tricks have more cutting suface than the Terminators but a smaller diameter? You would think more cutting surface would create more resistance, especially with a chisel vs coc but this shows otherwise. I think I have some of those Blitz heads and I also thought they would suck on bone especially since they have helical added to the blades, I was surprised at how well they flew for me, killed a couple sheep with them too.

Keep it coming.

where the 242inch 28 point buck was shot. Fremont, wisconsin
    good testing i like to see that. But you have way to much time on your hands
    PSE FIELD STAFF
    PSE MILITIA:
    PSE Dominator Pro
    PSE DNA
    PSE Dominator pro 3d

Quote Originally Posted by kaj4 View Post
    good testing i like to see that. But you have way to much time on your hands
    I know, I am laid off right now.

cool stuff. interesting results. thanks again for sharing whitey.

id be interested to see you turn your bow down to 60lbs for a shot or 2, since alot of people including me shoot 60lb bows.

Awsome job though!

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnboi View Post
    id be interested to see you turn your bow down to 60lbs for a shot or 2, since alot of people including me shoot 60lb bows.

Awsome job though!
    The first three were done with 60# bows and one 65# bow.

Great testing you do here! Ive been torn between Slick Trick standards, NAP Thunder Heads, and Muzzy MX4's this year. Id say the NAPs are out of the equation now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailBryan View Post
    Great testing you do here! Ive been torn between Slick Trick standards, NAP Thunder Heads, and Muzzy MX4's this year. Id say the NAPs are out of the equation now.
    I have tried Thunderheads twice. Both times I had problems with the blades staying in. They sucked for me too. Plus, they flew kinda crappy.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast