Thread: Proper length to cut arrows?

Proper length to cut arrows?

Is there a rule of thumb for the proper length to cut your arrows?

Matt

No shorter than one inch past your rest at full draw.

The rest depends on the bow, what type of tips you will be shooting and preference.
    GONE HUNTING - be back at 0'dark 30

PSE X-Force DS GX

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd_Shot View Post
    No shorter than one inch past your rest at full draw.

The rest depends on the bow, what type of tips you will be shooting and preference.
    How long is too long? Personal preference? I understand the longer the arrow, the more weight, the slower, the blah blah blah, I just mean as far as tuning.? I have been told that longer arrows are easier to tune but i have never tested it. Is this true?
    Matt

Length of arrows in general doesn't make it easier or harder to tune. The key is spine and FOC. Typically with the binary cams a stiffer arrow seems to work better. So use the arrow charts or even better some type of arrow selection software to determine the right spine/length combo for your setup. Even then it isn't perfect but a good place to start.
    "Suprised!!! I wouldn't be more suprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet."

I usually cut mine a quarter inch shorter than my draw length, had good luck with it so far.
    Elite Energy 35, 50-60, Black/Max-1, Trophy Taker Smack Down, MBG Ascent, B-Stinger, Axis 400's w/Axis Deep 6 inserts, W.C. Strings and Cables, Elite quiver, Scott, Deep 6 Trocars.

There is no "right" length. Best thing to do is to find what length lets them spine and fly the best, but this takes starting with them long and gradually shortening a couple until you find the sweet spot. Whether it's 1/4" in front of the rest or 5" past your riser doesn't matter, as long as they fly properly.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

Quote Originally Posted by PA_ENGR View Post
    Length of arrows in general doesn't make it easier or harder to tune. The key is spine and FOC. Typically with the binary cams a stiffer arrow seems to work better. So use the arrow charts or even better some type of arrow selection software to determine the right spine/length combo for your setup. Even then it isn't perfect but a good place to start.
    This ^

Mine is cut @ 28 inchers 1" shorter than my draw length. I could go shorter but when testing different lengths I found that the 28 inch length grouped better than longer or shorter. I put the numbers in the software after the fact and found that the numbers match my findings almost exact. Guess if I switched arrows I would have to re-test and use software to find the best length again.
    GONE HUNTING - be back at 0'dark 30

PSE X-Force DS GX

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd_Shot View Post
    This ^

Mine is cut @ 28 inchers 1" shorter than my draw length. I could go shorter but when testing different lengths I found that the 28 inch length grouped better than longer or shorter. I put the numbers in the software after the fact and found that the numbers match my findings almost exact. Guess if I switched arrows I would have to re-test and use software to find the best length again.
    Always been told 1" shorter then ur draw length.
    Hoyt/Athens

everyone has already given you good advice, I'd just add that if you want to shoot fixed blade heads I consider it a good idea to keep the blade out past the riser shelf.
    TEAM ELITE!
    ENERGY 35 & 32
    GOLD TIP ARROWS, CBE SIGHTS
    BERNIES CONTROL FREAK, TRU BALL
    AIRBORNE!