a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Does anyone shoot a lightweight target bow anymore?

Does anyone shoot a lightweight target bow anymore?

I have always liked a light weight bow for shooting targets and have tried to add weight but it never feels right. Everyone seems to have increased their bow weight and stabilizer weight tremendously these days. I dont really have a problem holding my bow steady with the single stabilizer out front but I am always looking for an edge and cant help but wonder if adding weight would help. Over the past couple of years I have tried more than once to play around with vbars and different weights and I always end up going right back to the single front rod and thats it.

centralohiocoonhuntersassociat ion.com

I like all my bows to be very lightweight. Thats why i went back to Elite... Not leaving this time...

i also like a lightweight bow .. i have a carbon matrix and thats about as light as they get.. i also tryed playing around with longer front bars and playing with weight up front but always went back to the shorter bar with little weight . i have a 20'' b-stinger with 3 oz on the front and it shoots great . my problem now is trying to get my backtension release to work for me.

I do understand the concept of "heavy is steady" but maybe I am just too weka to hold it up or something. I have buddies with bows that have 20+ ounces of weights spread out over several stabilizers. I can barely lift these bows let alone shoot them and hold them steady at full draw. I can see where it may hurt me in windy conditions though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3-d buster x4 View Post
    i also like a lightweight bow .. i have a carbon matrix and thats about as light as they get.. i also tryed playing around with longer front bars and playing with weight up front but always went back to the shorter bar with little weight . i have a 20'' b-stinger with 3 oz on the front and it shoots great . my problem now is trying to get my backtension release to work for me.
    I hear ya man. I shoot a shrewd De-vibe thats about 25-26 inches long with 1 ounce on the front and thats it.

This is where you're finding it's all personal preference. Frankly - everyone is different.

-Steve
    My Bows-'14 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL/Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Wife - '06 Hoyt UltraTec/'09 UltraElite
    Son - '09 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/'13 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/'14 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX
    USA Archery National Judge/ Level 4 NTS Coach

Quote Originally Posted by drtnshtr View Post
    I have always liked a light weight bow for shooting targets and have tried to add weight but it never feels right. Everyone seems to have increased their bow weight and stabilizer weight tremendously these days. I dont really have a problem holding my bow steady with the single stabilizer out front but I am always looking for an edge and cant help but wonder if adding weight would help. Over the past couple of years I have tried more than once to play around with vbars and different weights and I always end up going right back to the single front rod and thats it.

I take notice and see more and more adding weight. Everyone different and it amazing how and where they place the weight.

Buddy has 38oz on the backside of his bow and no weight on front stabilizer. He out shot everyone this weekend and it works for him.

Wears me out watching Reo lean back with all his weights.
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    I take notice and see more and more adding weight. Everyone different and it amazing how and where they place the weight.

Buddy has 38oz on the backside of his bow and no weight on front stabilizer. He out shot everyone this weekend and it works for him.

DB
    Ouch. That's 2.3 pounds on the BACK BAR? Painful just thinking about it.
    My Bows-'14 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL/Two '09 Hoyt Ultra Elite/'10 Athens eXceed 300
    Wife - '06 Hoyt UltraTec/'09 UltraElite
    Son - '09 Hoyt UltraElite GTX/'13 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX/'14 Hoyt ProComp Elite GTX
    USA Archery National Judge/ Level 4 NTS Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post

DB
    yeah i love to watch reos bow when the shot breaks, its like he has a bowling ball on the end of his stabilizer and its all he can do to keep it from hitting the ground, lol. but man he sure is still on target. i dont see how he holds that much weight up, he must be able to bench press 500 lbs or something. lol

Actually, if you have the bow balanced out correctly you don't notice the weight as much. The bow will also steady faster.
    ~ Hoyt Pro Elite ~ Hoyt Spyder 34 ~

The concept is the more weight you have , the harder it is to move. Take a 1lb weight in your hand and swing it around. Pretty easy right ? Now take a 10lb weight and try the same thing. It moves much slower. That's why we add weight . Now you don't want to add weight to the point that you cannot finish a round . You want enough to slow your pattern but not wear you out . It takes some trial and error and all bows are not built the same . If you can hold steady enough to hold solid on the Vegas face and shoot lights out then by all means , shoot your light setup . I have a friend , pro staffer for PSE , Ray Tenbrook who shoots a real light setup with his moneymaker and won the flights a couple years back at Vegas. Light works for some people and not for others .

Quote Originally Posted by adoonan2 View Post
    The concept is the more weight you have , the harder it is to move. Take a 1lb weight in your hand and swing it around. Pretty easy right ? Now take a 10lb weight and try the same thing. It moves much slower. That's why we add weight . Now you don't want to add weight to the point that you cannot finish a round . You want enough to slow your pattern but not wear you out . It takes some trial and error and all bows are not built the same . If you can hold steady enough to hold solid on the Vegas face and shoot lights out then by all means , shoot your light setup . I have a friend , pro staffer for PSE , Ray Tenbrook who shoots a real light setup with his moneymaker and won the flights a couple years back at Vegas. Light works for some people and not for others .
    I understand that concept but it seems when I add even the slightest bit more weight my pin wants to keep bobbling down. I am shooting a Conquest 4 right now with about 24 inches out front and only 1 ounce on it. Have been experimenting witha 12 inch back bar with 2 ounces but it seems to make my pin move around. My pin without any additional weight than my front bar and 1 ounce holds pretty steady but Im always looking to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by clo650 View Post
    Actually, if you have the bow balanced out correctly you don't notice the weight as much. The bow will also steady faster.
    I have experimented in the past where more weight on the back bar actually made the bow feel lighter. Maybe i should try a little more weight on it.

Nathan Brooks shoots lite on the weights with his stabs I believe.

I have seen High Country Archery (HCA)'s X10 with stabilizer and shoots great in competition.

It is the lightest bow in physical weight (only 3.5lb), so any stabilizer weight added is lowering the center of gravity even more.

What's your holding weight? I mean if you have only 11/12 pounds then a bow over 6# will feel like a load to most people. Maybe try changing holding weight AND mass weight and see what you come up with.

That ideal ration of HW:MW is a little different or for everyone (mostly due to strength, endurance, conditioning and so on), but there is a balancing act there and if we each learn our ideal ratio it makes holding steady a lot easier.
    Sent via my Nokia Windows phone...I finally upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by drtnshtr View Post
    I understand that concept but it seems when I add even the slightest bit more weight my pin wants to keep bobbling down. I am shooting a Conquest 4 right now with about 24 inches out front and only 1 ounce on it. Have been experimenting witha 12 inch back bar with 2 ounces but it seems to make my pin move around. My pin without any additional weight than my front bar and 1 ounce holds pretty steady but Im always looking to get better.
    And at what angle do you have your side bar. Basicly you can eliminate some left,right misses with your weight on your side bar.
    The weights you put on are "in balance". Just use this formula: lenght front x weight front : lenght side = weight side.
    Im using a doinker platinum 34" 5oz and a 15" 12oz on my dominator pro, holds like a rock!
    Give it some time, and experiment with the angle.