a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QAD HDX review

QAD HDX review

First off, please, please, please ignore the strings on the bow. The bow came like that and I have a set on order from Breathn.

QAD HDX

Included:
    -2 Launcher arms
    -Horizontal spacer
    -Laser cut Felt
    -Cable clamp to install without serving into cable

Set Up:
    Set Up was a breeze and took about 30 minutes from start to bullet holes. Got the rest screwed on to the riser and noticed I needed it to move a little more to the shelf. I installed the spacer (hard to see but if you look at the arrow pointing left, you will notice it doesn't actually butt up to the horizontal adjustment lines). One thing I think QAD could have done was place another arrow on the spacer so that it would meet the adjustment lines. The spacer is not threaded but it is tight enough on the screw that you actually have to turn the screw though the hole. This is a good thing because it leads to absolutely no slop with the spacer, therefore the arrow placed on the spacer would be consistent if QAD qould add it. Moving on, I did not like the camo cord that came with the rest (just due to how I wanted my bow set up, nothing wrong with the actual cord itself) and immediately wanted to change it. After doing so, I attached the cable clamp to the downward cable with the cord pulled through it. I tightened the screw to the point that the clamp would still slide up the cable, but the pull cord would not move. I found it easiest to do this by running the pull cord in through the bottom of the clamp. I placed an arrow on the rest, cocked it, and drew the bow back. As you draw the tension on the pull cord will cause the "full draw" lines on the rest to line up. The clamp will then move up the cable to the position it needs to be. I let the bow down and then tightened the clamp screw. That's all I had to do. Now when I drew my bow back, the "full draw" lines, lined up when my draw stop hit. The nice thing about this was it did not put any further stress on the cable so I didn't have any trouble with the cams being out of time. I took the bow outside and within a couple of shots, had it shooting bullet holes through paper from 2-15 yards.

Noise:
    I compared the HDX to the two rest I already had, the Limbdriver and an original QAD Ultra Rest (the one before they started separating their quality and just made a **** good rest). To me (IMHO) the HDX was quieter than the Limbdriver by a noticeable amount, BUT was not as quiet as my original QAD. I think this is due to the internal lockdown feature of the HDX.

Solution:
    Now I know some people had a problem with the original QAD not dropping fast enough for them. Luckily for me (or unlocky depending on how you look at it), with only having a 26.5" draw my arrows were never too fast for the original QAD. My Problem with the original QAD was that the straight containment arm across the top of my rest caught my Blazers every time, so I sawed it off, which caused me to lose the full containment feature. The QDX has a curved containment arm which solved this problem. So in order to get full containment, with the quietest possible rest, I changed the gear (can't think of a better word, but I am referring to the bottom part of the rest) on the QDX with my original QAD, seeing as how they were interchangeable. Now I have what I consider the ultimate rest. Plus if something happens to my original QAD gear I can just pop the HDX gear back on.

Conclusion:
    The HDX is a great rest. It is quiet and I will say it seems to drop very fast. The lockdown feature is a plus, but I never had a problem with bounce back with my original QAD. Like I said above, the curved containment arm is a big plus when dealing with clearence issues. I just shoot cock vane up with the shorter launcher and my arrows come out cleanly (this was tested with lipstick, don't tell the wife). Changing out the cord is a bit of a pain until you find out how to do it. The cable clamp makes timing a breeze. If you serve the pull cord into the downard cable the set screw will come in handy with timing, but might require drawing the bow back a couple of times to get it set just right. I won't say it is better/worse than the Limbdriver. IMHO I believe they are on par with each other, just depends what you are looking for. Price I paid was $112 shipped to my house from BowhunterSuperStore via Ebay, which makes it comparative to other rest. I know this has been long but figured someone might be looking for just an average Joe's thoughts on this rest.

Here's some pics of how I have it set up for now. I plan on serving the pull cord to the cable when my new strings get in.

Correction, when talking about the spacer I ment to say the vertical adjustment lines

Up for the morning viewers

is the containment arm touching the cable guard?

No, it's just they way the picture made it look, the containment arm sits on the inside of the cable guide rod.

Nice looking set up, I'm thinking about putting one on my CE. The pic helps me understand how it will fit.

Nice review, I recently replaced a limb driver with the QAD HDX on my Pure Black riser/snow limbs. I do not care for the camo cord and had thoughts of trying to dye the cord with a black permanant marker pen???? Other than the cord color I am very happy with the cockiing option on the HDX and full containment. I have a 30" draw and after 3 adjustments while paper tuning I had perfect holes. The drop away timing is right on, enough to support the arrow for my long draw but fast enough drop to clear my 2" blazers.
    Your thoughts on trying to dye the cord with out taking it off??

qad

Quote Originally Posted by vnhill1981 View Post
    No, it's just they way the picture made it look, the containment arm sits on the inside of the cable guide rod.
    why is your thumb wheel lever so narrow????? different model, not a ultra?
    here's what mine looks like

by the way nice review!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by killerloop View Post

by the way nice review!
    I was wondering the same thing. I've got a HDX and all the ones I've seen so far have the rubber thumb wheel. I wonder if it's the new hunter model? Or maybe the LD?

Nice review. QAD makes excellent rests and speed will never be an issue regarding arrow contact with launcher arm. If contact is ever made with the launcher arm then timing will be the issue...other than a very rare mechanical failure. And, I believe you folks are correct in assuming the rest he has is an LD...IMO.

Mine has a thumbwheel like killerloops. Love my HDX like the other QADs I have had.
    "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

by the way nice review!
    I put the "gear" (can't think of a better word for it) from my original QAD Pro (bought in 2005 when they first came out) on it. The original had a smaller thumb wheel. Since I shot it for years, it being small matters not to me, since I am used to it. Here's a pic of what I mean:

the rets is an HDX, but the gear (lower portion) was made before QAD started making different quality rest like the HD, LD, HDX, and Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by huntnjim View Post
    Nice review, I recently replaced a limb driver with the QAD HDX on my Pure Black riser/snow limbs. I do not care for the camo cord and had thoughts of trying to dye the cord with a black permanant marker pen???? Other than the cord color I am very happy with the cockiing option on the HDX and full containment. I have a 30" draw and after 3 adjustments while paper tuning I had perfect holes. The drop away timing is right on, enough to support the arrow for my long draw but fast enough drop to clear my 2" blazers.
    Your thoughts on trying to dye the cord with out taking it off??
    I would just take it off, I'm working on a picture tutorial, which shows how to change the string in about 5-10 minutes, if that.

I also have the large rubber thumbwheel. Maybe it is bowhuntersupply?

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession11 View Post
    I also have the large rubber thumbwheel. Maybe it is bowhuntersupply?
    No!!!! Look at the pic above, what I did was take the entire lower part of the rest off (which has the larger thumbwheel), and replaced it with the lower half of my original QAD I bought in 2005.

I have two, one red, one blue. No complaints out of the red one, and the blue one is going on a bow that isn't even out of the factory.
    I highly recommend them.

No!!!! Look at the pic above, what I did was take the entire lower part of the rest off (which has the larger thumbwheel), and replaced it with the lower half of my original QAD I bought in 2005.
    but now doesn't that defeat the purpose of the HDX or am I in left field again?? lol

but now doesn't that defeat the purpose of the HDX or am I in left field again?? lol
    I would say yes and no. The HDX is a fine rest by itself and the only mechanical feature it had over the original rest is a lockdown feature. This should be very helpful to some when dealing with 300-340 FPS bows, but mine will never be that fast. However to me it was louder the original rest that QAD put out, so I put the original gear on the new rest. My only issue wth the original was my Blazers hitting the containment arm. The HDX addressed this in a big way by making a curved containment arm that gave me just the little more space I needed. Like I said earlier though, the HDX with no modifications is quieter than the Limbdriver, but if you could get your hands on an original QAD you will see what I mean by the rest being super quiet.

Also I really do like the set screw feature on the HDX, along with the bigger thumbwheel, but like I already mentioned, I have shot the original QAD for so long that the smaller thumbwheel no longer bothers me.

Sweet review. I'm happy with mine.
    2011 Excalibur Vortex.
    2012 PSE Brute X.

Good review.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

Someone asked for a reason why I changed the bottom part of the rest. Here's the reason:

Because the original QAD was the quietest rest I ever put on a bow but I kept getting contact with my fletchings due to the straight containment arm so I combined the two rests. Don't get me wrong the HDX is a great and if I didn't have both rests to interchange them I would have been perfectly happy but since I had both I figured why not.
    ‎5000 years ago, Moses said 2 Israel, "Pick up your shovels, mount your asses & camels, & I will lead you 2 the Promised Land." When Welfare was introduced, Roosevelt said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, & light up a Camel, this is the Promised Land." Now the government has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels & mortgaged the Promised Land to China

Someone asked for a reason why I changed the bottom part of the rest. Here's the reason:

Because the original QAD was the quietest rest I ever put on a bow but I kept getting contact with my fletchings due to the straight containment arm so I combined the two rests. Don't get me wrong the HDX is a great and if I didn't have both rests to interchange them I would have been perfectly happy but since I had both I figured why not.
    Just wondering if you've thought about or actually have taken the bottom part of the "New and Old" rests apart to see what the internal differences are? Not that it makes a whole lot of difference because it's not like I can go and buy a new rest with an old gear mechanism, but I'm always curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast