Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: What does GPI mean?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ottertail County, Minnesota
    Posts
    7,800

    What does GPI mean?

    Im shooting FMJ 11.3 GPI. What does that mean? Is it better to be higher or lower in gpi?



  2. #2
    grains per inch...just multiply number by length of arrow and you know how heavy it is.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    3,040
    GPI = Grains Per Inch. More grains means the arrow weighs more.
    PSE Source HD TT Smackdown Pro, B-Stinger,GT 55/75 Arrows, HHA OL-5519 Exodus Broadheads, JBK Strings

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chillicothe,Illinois
    Posts
    2,742
    11.3 grains per inch. Higher or lower in gpi means slower or faster arrow speeds from the same bow. It also means stiffer or weaker spine.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central Square NY
    Posts
    3,553
    Quote Originally Posted by deadx View Post
    11.3 grains per inch. Higher or lower in gpi means slower or faster arrow speeds from the same bow. It also means stiffer or weaker spine.
    GPI has nothing to do with spine being weaker or stiffer. Example, Easton FMJ 340 has a GPI of 11.3 and a Easton Flatline 340 has a GPI of 8.2 .
    Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Dakota
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilson48 View Post
    grains per inch...just multiply number by length of arrow and you know how heavy it is.
    Yep! What he said. Has nothing to really do with spine. Just weight.

  7. #7
    As a general rule, arrows of the same model, from the same manufacturer, such as Gold Tip, will have a higher GPI with the stiffer spine, and therefore they do weigh more as the spine goes up. That does not neccessarily apply when comparing arrows between different manufacturers or even different model arrows from the same manufaturer.

    Mike
    Shutup and Shoot!

  8. #8
    Higher GPI arrows will weigh more at the same length. So more energy, less speed, but probably in the end more penetration. FMJ's are getting up there as far as weight goes.

  9. #9
    Ok I shoot Easton flatliners 400 7.4 gpi What does the 7.4 gpi mean? Thanks

  10. #10
    it means if you have a 30" arrow the carbon weighs 222 grains before insert, nock, vanes, glue, etc.
    2014 Obsession Phoenix
    Samick Journey recurve
    If God didn't want us to eat animals, then why did he make them out of meat?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chesaning, MI
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgavilan View Post
    As a general rule, arrows of the same model, from the same manufacturer, such as Gold Tip, will have a higher GPI with the stiffer spine, and therefore they do weigh more as the spine goes up. That does not neccessarily apply when comparing arrows between different manufacturers or even different model arrows from the same manufaturer.

    Mike
    Very well put
    2014 Prime Alloy 29.5/60

    I sting like a butterfly... And punch like a flea, Jack!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by r.petty.12532 View Post
    Ok I shoot Easton flatliners 400 7.4 gpi What does the 7.4 gpi mean? Thanks
    It means the arrow weighs 7.4 grains per every inch

  13. #13
    Ok thought so

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •