Archery Talk Forum banner

Diamond Dead Eye Review

26K views 57 replies 40 participants last post by  muktownftbl39 
#1 ·
I've been waiting to shoot this bow since I first saw it advertised, and I finally got my chance today. My buddy ordered one about two weeks ago and it showed up Friday. He is out of town fishing for the weekend so I told him I'd take it and set it up for him haha. Well, I slapped a biscuit on just for a few shots.
Here are some things I noticed right away.
1- Bow is very top heavy. I had a Reezen which many people thought were top heavy, and this was definitely more so.
2- Cheap plastic grip
3- Very lightweight
4- Great fit and finish
5- All black looks SWEET on these

Before shooting a gave the string a little pluck and thought, man I bet this is gonna be noisy. Sure enough, with a 445 gr hunting arrow which I shoot out of my z7 it was a pretty noisy bow. My wife even said, did you shoot *****'s new bow? I could hear it all the way upstairs.

The bow also had some hand vibe, not terrible and it was to be expected after shooting the Outlaw and Fugitive. With some limbsavers, a good stabilizer and some cat whiskers I think it could be tamed some.

I back it off 2 1/2 turns, didnt have a scale handy but I imagine I was pulling ~63-64 pounds. Back wall is solid as a rock which I really liked. I feel like this bow, once all set up, would hold on target extremely well. With as aggressive as the new Throttle cam is, it wasn't a harsh pulling bow.

I wasn't blown away with the speed. Granted I did not have a chrono, but I shoot many different bows each week at work at the same yardage so I like to think I'm a pretty good judge between bows. It definitely spit them out there, but nothing to write home about.

I only shot it about 30 times, but that was enough to make hesitant of ordering one for myself. I was a little disappointed.

Just my opinions, shoot it for yourself and see. If you have, I'd love to hear what you think on it as well!
Matt

See less See more
#3 ·
Overall, I was pretty impressed with the bow. The grip is a little of a turn off but that doesnt stop me from shooting one. The speed is right where it should be (shot at 70#, 360 grain arrow, 29" draw and a loaded string) the bow shot 325. The machine work is very impressive...There is no $700 bow with this much attention to machining. The draw is peak poundage the entire way but it doesnt have any humps anywhere in it. I disagree with the with the loud claim...I shot this side by side with multiple bows and granted...It wasnt the quietest, it wasnt the loudest either. It was was some place in the middle. The wait was a little tuff to deal with but I think that it was worth it. There is a slight buzz in the bow but nothing terrible. For $700 it is impressive. The bow tuned right up and shoots well. Overall, it is gonna be a good bow.

#9 ·
Good Lord, that bow is beautiful! My wife is going to be awefully jealous for a long, long time to come!

Now I have that AC/DC song going in my head :cool:

Thanks for posting the pics btw

#19 ·
We have had a couple Outlaws at the shop and I have been messing with them. One thing I noticed is that the draw is not smooth at all. It's not "rough" but there is a HUGE jump at the end. Also, there is considerable cam lean on these things...

As far as the Dead Eye goes, I hated it. Same un-smooth draw, cheap grip, top heavy and a lot of hand torque possible. I would not recommend this bow to anyone.

#26 ·
After a while give us some more iknsight to what its like.

#28 ·
shot the dead eye at cabelas tonight. Wish i had waited before i bought the z7 extreme.
Bow was smooth, fast, dead in the hand, nice riser curves, limbs are awesome looking.

71 pounds
29 in draw
375 gr arrow
333, 331,333 fps
Yes! God is good!

#31 ·
Cabelas in Hamburg? Now y'all got me wondering whether I should go shoot it....On the Outlaw, we have one at work. Set it up and took a couple of shots. I thought that the throttle cam made the draw cycle especially brutal, I was not a huge fan. Good looking bow, priced right.

#34 ·
Shot this bow and loved it. We shot ours with cat whiskers installed off the bat, and I thought the bow was very quiet with no hand shock. It is top heavy for sure, but holds well. Not a big fan of the grip.

SPEED:
Tested Actual IBO via the backcountry calculator and came up with 340fps! Fast! And near right on with the advertised IBO. The valley and wall feel nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.