Thread: Shooting one arrow into another.

Shooting one arrow into another.

How common or uncommon is this. I was out shooting on Monday afternoon at about 20 yards. When I walked to retrieve the six arrows I was kind of starring at the target. In my mind I was saying why is that arrow so long. Then I noticed that the nock on the first arrow was completely gone and the second arrow was about 4 or 5 inches into the first. The carbon was obviously splintered.

The arrows are Beman ICS Hunter 400

It's something we call a "robinhood" maybe not a true robinhood but pretty cool none the less.

it's fairly common, around here anyways.
    The Original Bling Sling. www.hnsarchery.com
    I make the Bling Sling
    NASP "Homeschool Team" Leader
    Level 2, USA Archery Instructor

A robinhood I see. Good work.

Nowadays it happens pretty regularly.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

That my friend is a robin hood. They happen not all the time but frequently. The more you shoot the more of a chance of getting one. Congrats.
    2013 Strother Rush XT, 2010 Elite Judge
    Plus a bunch of other bows
    I just love to shoot. Isn't that what its all about?

Best thing about a robinhood is how happy your pro shop gets when you have to get two more arrows: )
    Nice shooting.

Cool nice shooting!!
    Hoyt contender elite (orange)
    Hoyt vantage elite (green)
    Matrix plus ( max1)
    Bstinger, truball, shrewd, axels,
    Need strings? Shoot the best get R strings!!

Good shooting is what I call it! Then next I call it $$$$$!

That's a trophy. Keep it.

At 20 yards a good shooter will Robinhood an arrow once in a while, break a lot of nocks and tear lots of fletchings. Shoot at different spots to save your arrows.
    Genio 7 by W&W Black, CXL-55 by Carbon Express, Sure Loc Supreme sight, Extreme scope, Ripcord Code Red, Stan MagMicro 3, Cartel Carbon Stabilizer

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by." Douglas Adams

Nice shooting. The more you shoot, the more it happens. After the first one it just plain gets expensive. A lot of guys use either pin knocks or uni-bushings to keep from ruining their arrows.
    '13 Elite Answer
    '13 Hoyt Carbon Element

Happen to me yesterday. Carbon Express Blue Streaks.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo7735 View Post
    Happen to me yesterday. Carbon Express Blue Streaks.
    Those are really cheap arrows, its not a big deal

Congrats to the OP, it happens on occasion, now try to do it at 30yards!
    Nothing to see here

I did my first about 30 years ago............. I've only done a few since that time because I don't shoot groups inside of 35 yards and from 35 - 40 i only shoot 2 arrows at a spot. HOWEVER, I tubed a Carbon Express CXL with a pin nock at 45 yards last weekend! I've never Ron Hooded or "tubed" a pin nocked arrow. By the time these arrows are built they are at least $12 a piece so I actively try not to beat them around.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    PSE Phenom, Supra ME, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

As you practice and become a better shot, you will do it more and more until you realize how much it's costing you.

Then you will do like the others and start shooting at different spots.

There is one guy at our club that likes doing it and gets one every couple of weeks or more. He says he can buy as many arrows as he needs but he can't buy the enjoyment of a robinhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstigall View Post
    I did my first about 30 years ago............. I've only done a few since that time because I don't shoot groups inside of 35 yards and from 35 - 40 i only shoot 2 arrows at a spot. HOWEVER, I tubed a Carbon Express CXL with a pin nock at 45 yards last weekend! I've never Ron Hooded or "tubed" a pin nocked arrow. By the time these arrows are built they are at least $12 a piece so I actively try not to beat them around.

That's hard to do for sure!

I've had one (maybe two).
    First was on a 3d course. Buddy was in the 12 and I told him I was going to aim at his arrow. Wouldn't have been so funny if I hadn't told him I was going to aim at his arrow.
    Second was at 30 yards in my backyard.

I only shoot 3 arrow groups to help avoid this type of thing. Now I shoot pin nocks to protect my arrows.
    All for HIS glory! / Hunt hard or go home!
    09 Elite GT 500 Ninja / 08.5 GT 500 G1 camo
    T.R.U. Ball Shooting Staff / Vapor Trail Shooting Staff
    Steves Archery / Twin Oaks Archery

Unibush & Pin Nocks don't always work...

IMAG0186.jpg IMAG0182.jpg
    1st Arrow of 1st Scoring End @ recent comp.
    Arrow embedded a good 2-3 inches.

Unibush & Pin Nocks don't always stop it happening, but it does make it a little less likely to damage.

Easton Axis FMJ into XX78 Super Slam (If I remember correctly).

Not only do the pin nock bushings usually protect your arrow shaft from damage they can kick out someones's arrow that hits it on a 3d target. I like them just for the protection though.
    Team PSE, PSE Militia, DS Advantage sight Team FeatherVision

Quote Originally Posted by iammarty View Post
    Nice shooting. The more you shoot, the more it happens. After the first one it just plain gets expensive. A lot of guys use either pin knocks or uni-bushings to keep from ruining their arrows.
    ...or just quit shooting groups...

The more you shoot the more often Robinhoods happen. Shooting different dots becomes a good idea after you shoot a couple. I just shot one with a bare shaft a couple days ago, that was worth the $12

We had a guy at or local shop shoot a "double" Robinhood not to long ago. He was trying out the CE blue streaks. I will try and get photos later. its about 6' long 3 arrows lost that was expensive

Congrats on the robin hood
    Monster MR-7 31"DL @ 70# Carbon Tech Rhino 300's
    Axcel Vision HD 5 pin with Carter 2 Shot Release

Shooting one arrow into another.

There is an arrow at one shop I go to that has a double Robinhood that was given to them by a guy that won the tournament. If my brother or I go to Mack's Praire Wing's tomorrow I'll get a picture of it.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor 30 blackout on order
    Bow A Constrictor press
    2012 & 13 Elite Answer
    2014 Elite Energy 35 Black

That is cool, would love to see pics.

Quote Originally Posted by segbert View Post
    We had a guy at or local shop shoot a "double" Robinhood not to long ago. He was trying out the CE blue streaks. I will try and get photos later. its about 6' long 3 arrows lost that was expensive

Oh yeah, forgot to congratulate you on the robinhood, good shootin.

Quote Originally Posted by RepOfTX View Post
    How common or uncommon is this. I was out shooting on Monday afternoon at about 20 yards. When I walked to retrieve the six arrows I was kind of starring at the target. In my mind I was saying why is that arrow so long. Then I noticed that the nock on the first arrow was completely gone and the second arrow was about 4 or 5 inches into the first. The carbon was obviously splintered.

The arrows are Beman ICS Hunter 400

Did the same thing about 3 weeks ago with the same arrows. I was so proud of myself I jerked it out of the target to go show everyone before I could take a pic of it in the bulls eye. I told my wife just 10 min. prior that my goal was to shoot at least one of them in my life. Anyway, congrats!!!

A youth in our weekly league shot his first one last week, a few ends later he shot his second one ever, it does happen frequently.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary---it's the stupid ones that need the advice."