Archery Talk Forum banner

How much to hunt Alaska?

2K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  SheepStalker 
#1 ·
How much money does it cost to hunt in Alaska? Ive got some money (a pretty good amount) burnin a hole in my pocket and I really wanna hunt there cause I think it would be fun and I think I may enjoy it more being young. Just curious

#3 ·
it all depends on what you want to hunt. if your a non res you have to pay a guide for brown/grizzly bear, goat, or sheep. As far as the rest of the animals it's all on the location you want to hunt them in. a tag for a caribou will run you 350 plus another 85 for the hunting licence itself. a moose i think is a shade over 400 plus the same 85 and that is before you have left the town or anything. if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

#4 ·
It will cost you a upwards of a grand to fly there from GA to get to a hunting spot. That includes the big plane and a puddle jumper to get you into a good location. Then if going DIY you have rental of a lodge, forestry cabin, and or a truck or two weeks. I spent $2,500.00 on that. Eats and gas/fuel goes on top of that bill also; both are more expensive in Alaska. Plan on paying extra to get the meat and hide back on the plane with you, as it will be extra baggage. All total it cost me around $5,000.00 to do a comfortable DIY black bear hunt by the time I landed back home. I could have done it cheaper out of a forestry cabin, but you can't freeze your meat and they don't have running water to shower off with. Go while you have the time and inclination, and have fun.

#8 ·
Well Im not really sure about which animal. I think that would determine if its guided or not. Any suggestions on what animal would be most fun to hunt? I kinda thought grizzly unless there is something more fun to hunt.

Just wonderin but how much does it generally cost to hunt Africa? I figured it would cost more cause its out of country and the mounts and stuff would cost more, unless its like half the price or something

#17 ·
I lived there and shot moose, carribou, deer, sheep, black bear, goat, and tons of small game. You can have a diy hunt and that would be your airfare to Anchorage and go from there. You don't need a guide for some things and where you plan to hunt. For example: rent a car and take a ride out to Sarah Palins area. You scan an open area for moose, and when spotted you stalk. Or get out in the woods and call and get ready. My second moose I shot there, came running in at 17yds. Alaska is a very big state with a lot of animals but have a lot of room that they share with no other. PM if you want more info and certain areas. Not counting air fare I think a diy would run between 700.00 to 1000.00

#18 ·
Contact Alaska Fish and Wildlife to get the info or go to their web page. It will give you the list of species that require a guide or first of kin to be able to hunt with. Caribou and Black Tail will be your cheapest hunts. After 16 year here I can tell you its not easy to score a true trophy animal every year. Alaska is huge, the terrain is either swamp, tundra or steep mountains. Hire a guide your chances are much better. Even paying to have someone drop you into a secluded spot means nothing. I have been flown out for 10 days and came home with nothing. Its all luck, but it is the prettiest place in the world to hunt, and you will have lasting memories. Good luck to you and feel free to give me a shout if you would like some more info. I spend on average $2000 a year hunting and I am a resident, just to give you an idea.
Best wishes

matt

#19 ·
find someone that lives there to take you around.

then invite them to your state to hunt and stay with you.

that is what i am doing for pheasant hunt in so.dakota and he is coming to my home for week in pa for bear hunt.
only cost is getting here and licenseand your food .

#20 ·
I to encourage my members to do this, I leave for AK. on June 17th. & will be there till July 22nd. I'll be fishing the Keni & Kasilof rivers for reds & trout my first 2 wks. & off to Wasilla for the remainder to fish Silvers & reds with the vice president of my hunting & fishing club. The whole trip air fare & all for $1000.... We trade out the guide service, so no charge there! My last trip in 2006 I fished 8 days & caught 168 salmon.

#21 ·
Thanks for all the help and info yall. Just wanted to bump this back up and see what others thought

Also Ive got a few suggestions already but if yall could go up there right now what would you hunt? Whats really fun to hunt up there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.