Thread: Swarovski vs. Zeiss vs. Leica vs. Meopta

Swarovski vs. Zeiss vs. Leica vs. Meopta

Ok folks, I'm done wasting my money on cheap glass..... time to buy the best and never look back. I'm really liking the Zeiss victory RF just because I'd like to not have to carry a separate rangefinder just to simplify things.
    So please educate me and point me in the right direction so I make the right choice. I'm dead set on getting 10X's so that's not a factor.
    obviously the factors that weigh in on my decision is:
    clarity, light gathering, warranty, customer service, weight, durability, ease of use and adjustment.

Thanks in advance!
    I came into this world kicking and screaming while covered in someone else's blood and I have no problem with going out the same way...... ~me

I had swarovski el's and now have leica geovids. My opinion is that the el's are a little brighter but i love having the rangefinder of the geovids. The draw back of the leicas are they are heavy and the button for the rangefinder is on the left side, so if you have to range something quick with bow already in hand, you will have to swap the bow over, if you are right handed. Warranty and Customer service are good for both. I have no experience with the zeiss or meopta. Hope this helps
    Hoyt Vectrix 28/70 350gr/301fps 462gr/265fps
    Elite Z28 28.5/70 350gr/305fps
    Hoyt Alphaburner 28/70 420gr/300fps

yes, any info is helpful! thanks

looking forward to hearing more
    I came into this world kicking and screaming while covered in someone else's blood and I have no problem with going out the same way...... ~me

I have the swarovski 15x56 for serious long range glassing. They are awesome from a tripod. I also have Leica 10x42 BN model. They are fantastic! My range finder is a leica CRF900. Also fantastic. I have leupold Katmai 8x32 that I use for turkey and early season bow. They are clear and small but do not hold a candle to the european glass. With glass you definitely get what you pay for. I have heard swarovski service is second to none.
    Predator in the woods

I just got the Swaro 10x42 SLC and I love them! They are amazingly bright and clear. I see better with these than my 15x56 Vortex Kaibab.

If you can, compare them side by side. You'll see the differences. I don't own any of the others, but Swarovski is AWESOME!!

The Swarovki EL's are amazing glass.... I've NEVER looked through anything that compares! One of the best investmments a serious hunter could make. Also, they are one of the few accessories that will last a lifetime!
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

Meopta makes great glass as well, the Euro series from Cabelas are renamed Meopta. Definitely worth a look. I just can't justify paying $1800 for binos.

I have the Swaro 10X32 ELs and they work real well and are not that heavy.
    My range finder is the Leica 900, and it orks well also.

My experience with Swaro's has been amazing....I have not tried the others and don't intend to.
    Living today like there's no tomorrow!

I want a bino and rangefinder all in one. For that go with the Zeiss or Leicas. Plus these 2 are top of the line optics, but so are the Swaros. I own the Leica Geovoids and they are great. Only negative is the button is on the wrong side. I would go with the Zeiss just because of this. Either one of those 2 are really good though

don't have as much experience with the Zeiss binos, but I do have a lot of time behind Zeiss and Swaro scopes and in that regard the Zeiss is head and shoulders above the Swaros. The Swaro binos I have used didn't seem to be that much better than some of the Vortex's and Hawkes that I have used. If I were you I would go with the Zeiss.
    Sometimes nothing is a really cool hand.
    Semper Fidelis to all of my fellow Marines, past and present.

Authorized Dealer for PSE, G5 Prime and Strother Archery

I have swaro's and I can say the warranty is great. Sent my 10 year old slc's in becuase I dropped them and when they came back I thought they were new ones for about a half hour till I noticed a place on the glass that I did. They changed everything on them. Took about a month.
    Let him go so he can grow

I have a pair of Leica Ultravid 10x42. They are not the HD model, but they are great. I have not looked through the Leica Ultravid HD's or the Swarovski EL Swarovions, but I'm sure they are impressive. The next time I go to Cabelas I'm going look through the Swarovski EL 12x50 Swarovisions just to see how good they are. I have heard several accurate statements on expensive Binocs, like only a rich man can afford cheap binoculars and I've never heard anyone say they regretted buying good glass.

any other opinions?

I was in the boat as you earlier this year. I wanted the best glass period. I looked through them all side by side and walked away with the Swarovski El's. You can get Leupold RX1000 which has angle compensation which the other don't and still be under the total weight of the Leica's or Zeiss's with the rangefinder built in.

Matt
    Elite E35---Easton Axis arrows, Ramcat's, HHA 5519, QAD HDX rest, Scott release

Kahles was best for optical quality and affordability but the old man died and I don't know what happened to the company.

Doug
    but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....Romans 8

I have the Swaro 10x42 EL HD. Don't touch them unless you are ready to throw down 25 benjamins.
    I'm not an inspiration; It's just the situation I'm in and I'm doing my best......

I have the swaro 10x42ELs and they are awesome glass and I have 10x42 meoptas that are excellent glass but a little heavy but if you can afford the swaros go that route.I would not get binos with a rangefinder just because electronics change so fast and in a few years outdated and if it breaks down your stuck with really heavy binos and you have to carry a rangefinder anyways.I also have a pair of the compact zeiss and they are super nice and clear and even with the small objective lens they do well in low light , go check them all out and pick the one you like best.

I still prefer using a seperate small handheld rangefinder as they are manouvered easily in close situations, currently I use the Leupold RX 1000 in conjunction with my Leica Duovid 8-12 x42 binoculars which are in my opinion the best of both worlds!
    Elite Archery Pro Staff - Winners Choice Pro Staff - Muzzy Pro Staff - Tightspot Pro Staff
    Professional Hunter & Guide - Outdoor Editor

Rangefinders...I've owned most...if you want a Bino/Rangefinder, I'd go with the Swaro 8 X 30...it is crystal clear and a great rangefinder! But, if you want a pocket sized rangefinder for just that purpose, I feel the Leica is one of the best you can get! The only reason I'd pick the Swaro over Leica/Zeiss Combo models is cost. The thought of a 2000.00 rangefinder would have me spoiling it so much I wouldn't get enough use out of it!

Hope that helps

Reg

I own Swarovski and love them; the warranty is the best in the world.
    I consider Leica Ultravid HD, Swarovski Swarovision, and Zeiss ED glass even in quality.
    But...that's where the comparison ends on equal terms.
    Leica uses better lens mounts, a heavier duty housing, and has the best built adjusting barrel assembly ever made.
    If you want the overall best binoculars in the world in terms of both lens quality and construction, get a pair of Leica Ultravid HD's and be done with it.
    I have looked through all of the big 3's optics and see zero difference in them.
    If someone tells you different, maybe their eyes see one or the other as better so I won't call them a liar but I see zero difference.
    Not a biased report at all, I do not own Leica !
    If I were buying new and money were no object, I would definitely get a pair of Leica Ultravid HD
    If I wanted the highest quality best built binocular for the money with ED glass, I would get a pair of Kowa Genesis XD 44mm.
    Kowa is not Leica but they're pretty nice.
    Bowman Accu-Riser I and II...Greatest built American bows of all time
    Hamskea Versa Rest, Hogg Father sight, Paridigm stabilizer.
    Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares
    Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars...simply superb

The first thing you need to realize is that everyone’s eyes are different.
    What’s best to me might not be best to you.

That being said, I have compared Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski side by side, many times.

Swaro EL vs. Ultravid vs. Zeiss (forgot the name) and SwaroEL HD vs. Ultravid HD.

Optically, the Leica Ultravids won every time

Ultravids over Els and Ultravid HDs over EL HDs.

To me, the difference was obvious.

Before you spend upwards of two grand, I highly suggest you go to a big optics dealer or trade show and make the comparison your self.

I spent a year and a half going to shows and dealers, boiling it down. In the end, I got a pair of Leica Ultravids. That was before they (both) came out with the newer “HD” versions.
    The HDs (to my eyes) are even better.

leica, zeiss, swarvoski are all awsome. i would get the one you can get the best deal on, because the difference b/w them all is
    so small, if any, that i can't tell. i doubt you will either. that is what i did. we (wife and i have alot of binoculars):
    Minox BD 15x58 ED BR
    Swarvoski EL 8.5x42
    Leica Ultravid 10x42
    Pentax SP 8x43
    Hawke Frontier ED 8x43

i have had alot over the years, i just like playing around with them. I like 8x alot more than 10x though. they are just alot easier on the eyes,
    if you are looking for extended periods of time. less shake, better field of view, not having to refocus as much, and brighter than 10x. i have never
    once had my 8.5x's and said boy, i wish i had my 10x's. numurious times, i have had a 10x and said, boy i wish i had a 8x. if you walk into a store and
    compare a 10x to a 8x, you are going to like the 10x better. what you need to do is go outside and look for like 30 or 45 minutes between the 2, then you will see what i am talking about.
    2011 HOYT CARBON ELEMENT ROCKING RKT CAMS
    2013 BOWTECH EXPERIENCE

Quote Originally Posted by dougedwards View Post
    Kahles was best for optical quality and affordability but the old man died and I don't know what happened to the company.

Doug
    kahles is a parent company of swarvoski optic. it used to be directly imported into the us, by swarvoski optic usa. it is no longer done this way. i think
    it seperated b/c in a way they were competing against themselves, who knows. i have had kahles binoculars, they are good, but not great. their riflescopes, though are top notch. i have a older kahles helia c 56mm scope, and would not trade it for anything. i think they are the oldest maker of riflescopes, and have heard that swarvoski, did not even make rifle scopes until they bought kahles.
    2011 HOYT CARBON ELEMENT ROCKING RKT CAMS
    2013 BOWTECH EXPERIENCE