Thread: DIY Hog Hunting

Cool DIY Hog Hunting

A couple of buddies and i are looking for a good DIY hog hunt for july-august (yes i know its gonna be hot) From what i have reseached i keep comming accross Oaky Woods WMA as being loaded with hogs. We all are very expierienced woodsman and have killed many,many deer but never got the oppertunity to hog hunt. None of us want a guide. we are cheap college kids looking for a good time.

So folks with expierience on public land, what is the best Public land to hunt? were not looking for monsters, just lots of pigs and oppertunitys. looking to hunt like a fri-monday or something. From what i understand Georgia is about the cheapest about tags and such. So whats our best chances fellas?

Thanks ahead of time for the responses,
    Dalton

"If you are 20, and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you are 40, and not conservative, you have no brain." -Winston Churchill

Gen. 21:20- "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer."

You know those southern hogs have been known to attack poor college kids.
    I am in TX and we are covered up by hogs. But we do not have decent public hunting opportunities. What state are you in?

PICT0007.jpgPICT0079.jpg
    My Gear: A bow, some arrows, and some accesories...all of which I probably spent way too much money for.

We live in Boone, NC, you know, where appalachain state is? you know the guys that beat michigan a few years ago in football
    "If you are 20, and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you are 40, and not conservative, you have no brain." -Winston Churchill

Gen. 21:20- "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer."

Quote Originally Posted by huskyarcher View Post
    We live in Boone, NC, you know, where appalachain state is? you know the guys that beat michigan a few years ago in football
    LMAO... I love it! GO Mountaineers...
    Id turned into a (expletive) liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jack rabbit."
    -Marcus Luttrell

Quote Originally Posted by huskyarcher View Post
    Who is Michigan? Never heard of them. Definitley not in the Big XII, nooooo BIG XII minus II, but still called Big XII, whatever !?
    My Gear: A bow, some arrows, and some accesories...all of which I probably spent way too much money for.

Here is another pic to get you fired up to go shoot some dirty hogs...
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL ehh gash we gotta get out there the rut is on!!!! hahaha

ttt no hog hunters in the south?

im from georgia. hogs are more plentiful in southern GA. hogs are listed as a nuisance animal so they can be taken all year long and as many as you want. dont require tags for instate boys. not sure about out of staters. new laws have been passed recently also about baiting hogs. not sure about the specifics so i would look into that if i were you
    PSE Axe 6
    Hoyt Rampage XT
    Trophy Ridge Pursuit
    Victory V-Force Pink Arrows Tru ball diamond pro
    Trophy Ridge Revolution rest

Thats what ive found out threw research. aparently oaky woods wma is covered up in them. I think that is were we are going to end up, but weregonna try to talk to some farmers first. Im goingto call them tommorow to get the low down. You have any info on Oaky woods, or that area?

Oaky Woods is good,Horse Creek is good also.Check the regs on the wma's to be sure hogs are legal on your hunting dates.Most small game seasons they are legal.

Greenwood South Carolina But love Bowhunting the Midwest
    Armanti Edwards is from my hometown Greenwood South Cackalacky

He was a big man in a small body and one heck of an athelete

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPY DAD View Post
    Armanti Edwards is from my hometown Greenwood South Cackalacky

He was a big man in a small body and one heck of an athelete

He plays on my softball team lol. Really good guy, and my God is he fast.

So is it like other states if another season is in its in? thats why im going too call tommorow.

Could somebody please ezplain these seasons, so confusing. when can you hunt hogs with a bow on these wmas?

ttt

Georgia has special hog hunts on WMA's even when there aren't any other seasons in. Hunts usually last a week. Any legal hunting weapon can be used so blaze orange must be worn for special hog hunts. Outside of special hog hunts something has to be in season on the WMA and you have to have the appropriate license. You can hunt hogs when small game season begins with only a small game license and a WMA stamp. Wma's are open for small game/big game hunts at different times according to a schedule they(GA. DNR) puts out. If the WMA is open for deer hunting you have to have a big game license to even hunt hogs. Sometimes they have period when the WMA's are not open to hunt anything. Chickasawhatchee WMA had a hog hunt open Tuesday that ends Sunday. I am taking a three day weekend just to hog hunt. Hope my explanation helps.

Thanks Warchild, will there be any way to hunt hogs at oaky woods wma or tuckahoe, from mid july to august 12 or so? out classes start August 18 so its gotta be before then. thanks again

good luck in the hunt and if you decide to hunt with archery equipment then make sure you use very sharp heads and by all means put it in the right spot! cause they can get mean in a hurry. i know i have killed several in tenn.