a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzy 3 blade or grim reaper

Muzzy 3 blade or grim reaper

Which one would you shoot this year? I have good flight from them both. Do I go with the mech. or with the Standard Muzzy 3 blade 100? Convince me of your favorite...

gotta love the muzzy standard 3 blade nothing wrong with it has a good cutting hole and accurate why change

Have written and read nothing but good things about GR and will support them for a long long time

Sent to you live from the field on my DROIDX using Tapatalk.
    BowFreakZ Archery
    Sticking it to them one shaft at a time!!!
    Check us out on the web!!!
    NRA - VCDL - GOA - SAF

Reaper Razotips.

What are you hunting? If it is whitetail, I would go with the GR. Your flight will be better at longer ranges, less potential deflection from brush due to lower overeall profile, thicker blades with better steel, and much greater cutting diameter. On top of all that, you get to "Watch em Drop!"
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

Quote Originally Posted by OUTOFLUCKBUCK View Post
    Which one would you shoot this year? I have good flight from them both. Do I go with the mech. or with the Standard Muzzy 3 blade 100? Convince me of your favorite...
    Man, Im in the same dilema that you are! Been shooting Muzzy 100's for a long time, and theyve never done me wrong until this past year when I made a good shot on a doe and was able to watch her drop for the stand (ran 40 yards through 5+ft grass), however, I was surrounded by other deer until after dark and didnt want to spook them all by getting down. I went to the spot I had shot her at, and couldnt find any blood...nothing. Not a single drop of blood the whole time I was trying to find her. I ended up locating her buy making a spiraling circle through the general area she was in, and I ended up smelling her (not a gut-shot smell, but the blood loss/death smell).

After that I started thinking about switching back to a mechanical head. I shot Spitfires for a few years but was always nervous about quartering away shots because the blades extend so far forward. I think GR's will be my choice this year!
    Active Duty Outdoors Pro Staff - Click the link to our Facebook page!
    Scent Blocker VIP
    Hoyt Maxxis 35
    Gold Tip Arrows

cant go wrong with either! both will get the job done if you put it in the right spot. You might as well go with the GR itll fly better in the wind and watch em drop. Althought muzzy "Bad to the Bone" is also awesome too. I've sot both. Was a muzzy 3 blader for years and tried out the GR's and just never got going back to muzzy. Not that there was anything wrong with them. Curiosity i guess.
    "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."
    I become a transparent eyeball- I am nothing; I see all.

Muzzy can take a little bit to get to fly perfect out of some bows. But, once it is hitting good, it is a fantastic head! Its very durable and plenty sharp. You will get better penetration with the Muzzy. I once killed a doe at over 40 yrds with these heads. I was impressed. And the price is reasonable.

The reapers fly great! They leave great big holes and excellent trails when used by hunters with good KE and correct arrow spine. If you have a bow that is tuned less than perfect and ya dont feel like messin with it, then shoot then reapers.

Overall, Id pick the reapers.

Good luck with your choice!
    Mathews Switchback XT and Darton Vapor 70# @ 28"Wisker Biscuit Rest, Sims stab.
    Viper Sights, Gold Tip arrows, NAP Spitfires/ Slick Tricks.

I would, without a doubt, shoot the Muzzy any day over a mech. But I prefer GrizzTrick 125's over any other bh on the market.

Skeet.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

My setup......E35, 60# with a TorqueLess Grip, JBK strings, QAD rest, Tru Glo sights, and a cheap, light weight stab.

I was a Muzzy 3bld 100gr fan for years killed many deer with them, I got tired of making them fly with my field tips. So I bought a pack of Grim Reapers got the best of both worlds tocar tip , and fly great I have only killed a small pile of deer. I watched all the deer I have shot fall except one, my fault I hit her to far back but she didn't go much past my field of view.

Grim Reapers are an excellent head, but then again, I am pretty biased!

Muzzys are good heads, but, are made of all aluminum if I am not mistaken and from my experience are a beast to spin tune, as many of them are not made with quality in mind.

I would recommend a Grim Reaper RazorTip!
    Looking for the best strings, cables, and rests in the archery industry?
    --Look no further than www.vaportrailarchery.com--

muzzy has provent themself for a long time and also you take the possibility of mech. failure out of the equation. i would go muzzy personaly!
    The culture I stand for is sometimes lost into today’s society, when in fact society was built on the culture of THE HUNTER. A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider…a caretaker…a leader. I will never make excuses for who I am..

Grim Reapers cannot fail, it is impossible.

Shooters, on the other hand, are not perfect at calculating wind and also have been known to shoot with less than perfect form.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew_ View Post
    muzzy has provent themself for a long time and also you take the possibility of mech. failure out of the equation. i would go muzzy personaly!

Quote Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post

Shooters, on the other hand, are not perfect at calculating wind and also have been known to shoot with less than perfect form.
    Nothing is impossible. Im a fan of the Reapers but anything can fail. Especially if they are not put together right. To the OP my vote goes to the Grim Reapers.....

Quote Originally Posted by Viper69 View Post
    Nothing is impossible. Im a fan of the Reapers but anything can fail. Especially if they are not put together right. To the OP my vote goes to the Grim Reapers.....
    I agree with you on this one, last year before the remade the grim reapers with stronger blades and threads, i had 2 if them snap off at the threads, but i called them up and they gave me another pack of the newer ones with stronger threads and blades for free, great customer service. Every deer ive shot with them i've watched them drop.

ttt

Reaper.....Big hole vs. little hole

Although many shooters get into trouble with less than perfect shots, the Grim Reapers apparently can fail. Didn't Whitey have one basically come apart on him recently in his testing over on the Western Bowhunting Forum?

Grim Reapers are an excellent head, but then again, I am pretty biased!

Muzzys are good heads, but, are made of all aluminum if I am not mistaken and from my experience are a beast to spin tune, as many of them are not made with quality in mind.

I would recommend a Grim Reaper RazorTip!
    So... what are the Reapers made of?? Last I checked mine are aluminum
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

Grim Reapers can fail my vote goes to muzzy they fly just as good and the reaper hole isn't that much bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by reflex shooter View Post
    Reaper.....Big hole vs. little hole
    really? muzzy has always left a paint bucket trail for me to follow, and a great hole.
    Unless your referring to the muzzy
    2009 Martin Scepter
    2011 BowMadness XL
    2011 PSE Moneymaker

Blades are steel. Tip on the RazorCuts is also steel.

Quote Originally Posted by JG358 View Post
    So... what are the Reapers made of?? Last I checked mine are aluminum

The 75gr. one had the best penetration of the expandable bunch, save the Steelhead I do believe. It also stayed in one piece as well.

Mind you, the 100gr. that came apart missed the target the first time and hit a bunch of other stuff I do believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Roskoes View Post
    Didn't Whitey have one basically come apart on him recently in his testing over on the Western Bowhunting Forum?

Blades are steel. Tip on the RazorCuts is also steel.
    Blades are steel on the muzzy.... so is the tip
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

The 75gr. one had the best penetration of the expandable bunch, save the Steelhead I do believe. It also stayed in one piece as well.

Mind you, the 100gr. that came apart missed the target the first time and hit a bunch of other stuff I do believe...
    Then he rebuilt it with parts for the razor cut and shot it again. Didnt fair as well as the 75 gr head you sent him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast