a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Martin Mamba arrived. Love it! :-)

Martin Mamba arrived. Love it! :-)

I drove it to an indoor range about an hour away so I could spend some time setting it up. Set up time turned out to be about a minute. Strung it up and it didn't need any adjusting. I thought the rise might be a little low but the guy at the pro shop showed me how they used to measure the right rise by winging out their thumbs and pinkies and measuring to a bottom knuckle and said I could give it a try as is, and I think he was right.

Took the bow and my existing 29# arrows to the range in the back of the shop. The first shot, my jaw literally dropped and I felt like war-whooping - the smoothness of the draw and the power of the bow compared to what I've been shooting was just incomparable. The arrow actually made that quiet laserlike "zzzzzzzzzziiiii" flight sound that I've heard from others but never mine and it punched the target really hard. Felt pretty awesome. I shot about sixty arrows back there before my draw started to get weak, which I was pretty happy with what with the biggish change in poundage. Left shoulder is a little clicky today but I was maybe death-gripping the bow a bit.

Got home and my half-dozen carbon arrows were waiting for me - will be shooting those today and can't wait to give them a whirl!

The grip on the Mamba is so slender, compared to the Polar, btw. Not sure I can even go back to shooting the Polar after this. I can't even get my hand wrapped all the way around the Polar grip, and the Mamba fits me so well it's like it was made modeled after a ball of clay I squeezed lightly in my hand. It feels pretty good. I love the way it curves into the palm, really think it's going to help me keep a straight wrist. Bow itself is light as a feather compared to the Polar, too.

Do believe I may sell that Polar and get a #30 bow on ebay for additional target shooting as I condition into the #40.

Thanks to all who have given insights and thoughts about the Mamba and all this in the last week, much appreciated!

hey congrats, if it feels great in your hand it will soon become part of you and will always be a pleasure to shoot

Very cool it's got to be one of the high points of anyones day to get a new bow and shoot it. It is for me! It'd be cool if you could post a picture of the bow, the bow!

Awesome!!!

Glad you like it. I like the grips on those Martins....just about everyone of them I've held has a good grip/. Sounds like it fits you good.
    Good idea about getting you an 30 lb to get conditioned.

Sounds like you are really enjoying archery. I think its a great hobby an there,s always something new to learn. I know I will never master it but fun trying. I got a new to me madog longbow coming this week Just trade my midsize maddog recurve for it. Great bow but stack at my 27 inch draw lenght. It,s always fun an exciting getting something different to try. Best of luck with your new martin.

The higher weight and lighter arrows are going to make that bow seem like its shooting laser beams

You will find that you have to shoot with a much larger gap now unless you move your anchor up. On the flip side you will find that you probably don't need to aim over the 30yd target anymore and longer ranges will get a lot easier!

-Grant

Congrats. If interested, PM me what you want for your Polar. I may be interested.

I had read some of your earlier post with interest, because of my personal history with the product line since the 70’s. It’s good to hear your enthusiasm with the new bow (…kinda proves the often said, “Try ‘em before you buy’em”) and I also appreciated your remark regarding performance: “it punched the target really hard”.

As I’ve mentioned in other posts, Martin purchased Damon Howatt in ’76, so I suppose it would be correct to say the bow is a Martin made at their Damon Howatt facility. If you go the Martin website route (http://www.martinarchery.com/2011/mamba.php) there is the Mamba...and if you go via Damon Howatt http://www.damonhowatt.com/mamba.php you’ll find the same bow.

Be that as it may, my point is that an outstanding characteristic of the Howatt bows I’ve owned (…just have to call them that), 3 Hunters and 3 Super Diablos, is that they are hard hitting bows…so I was pleased to hear your assessment was consistent with my own. They deliver a hunting weight shaft with authority and anything lighter gets a bit scary. Ooo Ooo…makes me want to take one off the rack right now! Happy Shooting…Enjoy, Rick.
    The best book I ever read on human behavior was about training dogs. Critical to their social outlook and wellbeing is a heightened ability to sense the level of insecurity in others…man or beast…and the ability to measure their own in every situation they encounter.

MM,

If you can, post a photo of your Mamba fully strung. I bet the bow is a beauty.

Thats Awesome!! The Mamba is a great bow!! scout4<><

Congratulations on the new bow! Martin sure makes some great shooters.

For some terminology (I think you're referring to this as 'rise'), archers used to measure the height of their bow string from the riser/handle by making a 'thumbs up' with their hand, placing the bottom of the hand to the riser, then making sure the string was at the end of their thumb. They called it 'fistmele':
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fistmele

Now we call it 'brace height'. Fistmele is a good rule of thumb (ba-dum, ching!), but most manufacturers recommend a certain brace height setting for their bows (like 7 1/2" = 9"). Did your 'Mambo' come with a booklet? You could probably find the info in there. Enjoy the new bow!

Congrats on the new bow. Pretty soon you're going to be researching custom recurves with fancy wood. Welcome to the slippery slope...

Quote Originally Posted by Leafwalker View Post
    They called it 'fistmele'...Now we call it 'brace height'.
    Thought I’d add a footnote because fistmele is an ancient the term that occassionally reappears. Checking brace height with the “thumbs up” was a more relevant practice for longbows of that era…which typically had a brace height more consistent with that means of measurement (...and why armguards would be all the way to the wrist). That said, it is a practice I have long followed to get a rough idea of no significant change in brace height since last using the particular bow. My personal guestimate with recurves usually ballparks about 1½” above the thumb…or sometimes I’ll just carry an arrow with some brace height markings on it, for more precision. Enjoy, Rick.
    The best book I ever read on human behavior was about training dogs. Critical to their social outlook and wellbeing is a heightened ability to sense the level of insecurity in others…man or beast…and the ability to measure their own in every situation they encounter.