a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cons of the whisker biscuit

Cons of the whisker biscuit

Can you guys tell me some of the cons of the whisker biscuit.

not very good for your fletchings, but shooting tight groups dont help them either. slows down the arrow but not enough to worry about. so i guess its all in how you look at it. (my gf shoots with one)
    Bowtech Insanity,25.5" dl, 60# dw , Carbon Express Blue streaks @ 285fps, with Grim Reaper hybrids.
    HHA OL 5019 sight 4x lens and clarifier , Nap Apache, bling sling , Torqueless sideplates
    truglo stab with bowjax dampners , bowjax limb dampners and custom riser dampners .

you'll lose alittle speed..... only con I know..... might ask about the pros to one

I shot it, liked it, but have a drop away now. Why? several cons to the WB

Fletching contact.
    Draw on a deer on an arrow that has no coating (like Bemans have) and that deer could hear the draw of the arrow across the WB.
    I didn't know about this next one until a magazine shooter (Ulmer I believe) pointed it out

You have to execute very good follow though due to the arrow being dependent (so to speak) on that rest for the length of the arrow....IOW, you have to maintain pin on target until the arrow is clear of the rest.
    08 Guardian
    "We didn't get to where we are on the food chain by being vegetarian.
    Are we not all target archers by default?
    I harvest crops. I kill animals.
    When asked 'How can you shoot Bambi?', I say 'I don't shoot Bambi, I shoot his dad.'

Ive talked to several guys that use one and they all have nothing but good things to say about them. I can live with a little speed loss. I'm mainly concerned about accuracy. Do they really harm your fletchings? How about the life of the whiskers? How often do they need replaced?

Quote Originally Posted by redteamgo View Post
    I'm mainly concerned about accuracy. Do they really harm your fletchings? How about the life of the whiskers? How often do they need replaced?
    I have about 400 shots on my arrows and have had no issues with fletching at all. I think people have issues with bad fletching mounting. I would guess my WB has maybe 1000 shots on it...still looks like brand new. No signs of wear yet. Even when it does wear out...a new replacement whisker part is like $20.

I just switched to a trophy ridge revolution after shooting the whisker biscuit for about 7 years. I first got one when they were all black and had no cut-out slot to put an arrow in (had to feed the arrow tip through the hole. Switched to the droptine WB after a few years and loved it. Haven't switched the biscuit out in 3 or 4 years (but I don't shoot 100 shots a day, either). Pros: Completely contains arrow without the shaft rattling around; never had a failure to operate because of some rope or spring that didn't work right. Cons: minor arrow speed loss (like 3 fps); will damage fletchings (Blazers and Duravanes hold up well to it); You must use a straight or slightly offset fletching (helical is out);you can use feather fletching, but it wears down the outer edge of the feathers where they really make noise in flight; the arrow is in contact with the rest the entire draw length.
    The WB is a hunter's rest. Simple, straightforward and functional.
    The only reason why I switched is to tinker and I had 50 bucks of bass pro points I had to use or lose.
    Everyone always talks about shorter brace height bows being unforgiving because the arrow is in contact with your string longer, but the same thing holds true for a bow with a WB. If there's a flaw in your form, the WB won't be as forgiving as a fall away. But if you're shooting at a deer within 30 yards, an inch or three isn't going to make or brake the shot.

I have about 1000 shots through mine. I use feathers, and it wears them down a good bit, but I've noticed it less the more I've shot it. Very accurate, but you do have to follow through...but that's good practice anyway. Very simple. Hard to beat as a hunting rest. Slows my speed about 3fps.
    Hoyt Rampage XT, 60lbs, 28in DL
    470 grain Easton XX75 2314s, 245fps (slow and deliberate)

Oh, and the wrinkled vanes can be fixed using this guy's method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3SFS3DswaM
    It'll work once or twice before you still have to replace vanes, but it'll keep you shooting instead of messing with a fletching jig all day.

A properly tuned bow will shoot the WB just fine with minimal damage if any to your vanes.Going to a low profile vane like blazers works even better.I have shot them for years.I have tried a few drop aways but the WB is such a great hunting rest I keep going back to it.
    HOYT Carbon Element, Rip cord rest, Montana black gold flash point micro 4 pin, hoyt pro series arrow quiver, beman ics hunters, slick trick 100 mags
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse
    Team 31 Ridgetop Warriors 2010/2011 bowhunting champs
    2013-14 Magnificent 7 bowhunting champs

Best hunting rest ever designed. Shoot blazers and you have no fletching wear issues, vanes are another story.
    Loss of FPS is 2-3 at best.
    Not sexy enough for drop away fanboys.
    A Child doesn't remember their best day of Television.. Take a Kid hunting.

shoot blazers and you will be fine. I absolutely LOVED the rest when I was walking to/from stand or stalking. I never had to worry about my arrow falling off the rest....

I did see wear on 4" vanes...no wear on blazers or on the whiskers of the WB.
    08 Guardian
    When asked 'How can you shoot Bambi?', I say 'I don't shoot Bambi, I shoot his dad.'

As hoyt3 already said drawing a arrow makes NOISE. That eliminates them from my hunting bow if I can hear the draw so can the deer. Other people feel different they are the #1 selling rest.
    Energy 35 Max1 and Pulse Ninja because they work for me Waiting on a Ninja Victory

Have you shot your bow today?

For hunting whitetails in the East I can't think of any of con's. I think WBs are for hunting, drop aways are for 3D, out West hunting and range rats shooting deer on hopes and prayers.

Only 1 con. They contact the arrow and vanes at release. They also have 1 pro. Full containment. However, fall-away rests have come a long way since the WB came out, and there are many fall-aways that are well made full-containment rests that make no contact with the arrow or the vanes, eliminating noise and speed loss. If I have a choice I'm going to go with a fall-away.

Quote Originally Posted by Flydown View Post
    Best hunting rest ever designed. Shoot blazers and you have no fletching wear issues, vanes are another story.
    Loss of FPS is 2-3 at best.
    Not sexy enough for drop away fanboys.
    my hunting bows have never known a different rest, cons> after 2 or 3 seasons you may have to replace the biscuit part, as it wears very very slightly. but big deal
    The Best Never Rest
    13' PSE DNA

By the way, when the rope attached the the cable wears out, it only costs about a dollar to replace it.

Wife just started shooting with a biscuit, and it seems quiet to me. She has only about 100 arrows through it, and her vanes seem to be holding up well.
    Formerly known as "lowdrag"

i shot bisquit for long time after doing the original trophy taker experiment back in 02-03, then got the itch to try fobs this year so picked up limb driver and then limb driver pro, after a couple hours of installing fuzzy stuff inside and out on the limb driver pro-v i was convinced i could live with it, 100% silent, loading or drawing, but after shooting it a bit i decided i just couldn't handle the business and off it came and back on with the bisquit and couldn't be happier, i chronied it on my 2011 mr7 before and after and it was 2 fps difference, i shoot blazers with max offset

my body, and or clothing etc. generally makes more noise on the draw than the bisquit, then again i only draw when its time to shoot and hope that my movement noise or the minimal noise of a bisquit will stop them for the shot but end of day i end up having to grunt most things to a stop anyhow, although i did kill one whitetail buck i can think off offhand at about 2 yrds (right under my tree stand) and i didn't have to grunt him, he picked up enough noise on the draw to freeze for the shot

its the model 70 of rests, there is nothing better for hunting, noise is not an issue, the two fps loss for the gain in simplicity, containment, ease of set up, quick tuning etc. is well worth it

Here's a tip I got from another hunter to quiet down the draw noise associated with a biscuit. The fact is, in cold weather, the biscuit makes noise when drawing. What I do to quiet it is run a Q-tip through the hole a few times. The bristles will grab some cotton and quiet the rest noticeably. I keep several Q-tips in my pack for this very task.
    A Child doesn't remember their best day of Television.. Take a Kid hunting.

Con...Well it depends on if you enjoy shooting a bow w/a 0" brace height...I had one for years and loved it, but couldn't figure out the occasional flyer. Then someone mentioned to me that the WB zeroes out the brace height because it essentially keeps the arrow attached to the bow the entire time, so any little movement or form flaw upon release can still effect the arrow. Good luck.
    Core Archery Custom Bow Strings & Tuning www.core-archery.com

Buckeye Pro Shops http://www.buckeyeproshops.com

Black Eagle Arrows http://www.blackeaglearrows.com/

The WB is a great hunting rest. It will do nothing more than a good drop away will do and does it less efficiently. It also looks like a butt brush, and who needs that?
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by redteamgo View Post
    Ive talked to several guys that use one and they all have nothing but good things to say about them. I can live with a little speed loss. I'm mainly concerned about accuracy. Do they really harm your fletchings? How about the life of the whiskers? How often do they need replaced?
    ...then see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVbm7y6S5OM

Joe

"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"
    Mathews Switchback XT 28" DL
    MBG Radiant, Whisker Biscuit, String Splitter
    Strikers/Tricks/Blazers, Aero Hunter and World's Best Strings

that is an excellent suggestion.....about the q tips.....
    Last edited by hoyt3; July 5th, 2011 at 10:45 AM. Reason: quote
    08 Guardian

Can't shoot FOB's with WB.
    Finland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast