Page 1 of 262 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Stryker 350/380/390

Stryker 350/380/390

Since my original Stryker crossbow thread has been locked up for jumping track, I'm impressed with these crossbows enough to re post my original thoughts on them from back in January. My thoughts have not changed. Here's what I wrote in January (minus the discontinued SF model):

Bowtech’s 2 new crossbows, the Strykezone 350 and 380 have leapfrogged the competition for 2011 and my reasons for this statement:

STRYKEZONE 350

135 lb draw weight – 350 fps w/ 385 grain arrow
    Light physical weight of 6.9 lbs.
    Compact in size – 15.6” wide A to A cocked x 34 1/3” in length
    Power stroke – 15.5”
    Colors – Gore Optifade Forest / Mossy Oak Treestand
    Rope cocker requires no sled
    No arrow retention spring – replaced by a metal arm that serves 2 purposes, to hold the arrow in place and to actuate the anti dry fire system
    Auto safety – Safety cannot be pushed to off position without a loaded arrow in place
    Safety and trigger Lock out feature to further prevent accidental discharge
    Easy to reach top mounted thumb activated safety with no clicking noise
    Absolutely the lightest, totally creep free factory crossbow trigger I’ve ever shot
    No rattling of the trigger
    Soft rubber shoulder pad
    Binary cams use no split yoke cables
    Inboard/reverse cam rotation for increased power stroke
    Overmolded stock grip and fore end
    One of the quietest 350 fps crossbows I’ve shot

Crossbow only – MSRP $549 !!!!!!

Package – 3 arrows, quick detach quiver, multi reticle scope, sling - MSRP $ 649.00!!!

STRYKEZONE 380

The same features of the Strykezone 350 plus:
    160lb draw weight – 380 fps w/385 grain arrow
    String stops
    Crossbow w/ package (5 arrows, quick detach quiver, multi reticle scope, cocking rope, sling

MSRP $749.00 !!!

I believe these 2 new crossbows from Bowtech are exactly what most crossbow hunters are looking for. After seeing, feeling and shooting these bows, I cannot help but believe that the competition needs to go back to the drawing board. These feature packed crossbows offer the biggest bang for the buck I’ve seen in crossbows. I know of no other crossbow line that offers this level of total performance. Bowtech did their homework. My hat’s off to them.

Attached Images Attached Images
    MOON

Super "Small" Recurve Xbows- The Future of Recurve Hunting Xbows

STRYKER 350- LS 390 COMPOUND XBOWS - YOU CAN SPEND MORE .......

went to my local cabelas and checked them out. very nice xbows but my first impressions are... weight and balance was for me was only just o.k. nothing to say wow . i went right down the rack and held every model they had from Barnetts to Exi-s. fit and feel for me i would put it on par with the Parker Tornado. i say the Horton Team Realtree Ultralite still reigns supreme with weight and compactness. the foward trigger on 350/380 just didnt feel right but i guess you would get use to it.i also thought the 2 new Hortons were a nice balance too.im still gonna say compact and light weight is were the trend will go. xbow manufacturers need to take another leap in tree stand friendly bows. i want a short limbed 5lb xbow that can do 350 plus.

Gem, I would have disagree with you on the 380....it shoulders very nice IMO. Also I think the best part of the 380 is the shot....much quieter, less shock, and the best trigger of any of the brands you mentioned, again IMO. Its close to the parker true but an 8 # trigger on the tornado doesn't come close to the 3# trigger and I believe the draw weight is less on the 380 and it 30fps faster, and much quieter. If you get a chance shoot one u will love it I'm sure

somebody must be gettin royalties off every 380 sold...?,, Cap just how snuggly did you and Peggy get anyway?????...lol
    seriously though, Anyone considering a crossbow owes it to themselves to shoot the 380,,, only after shooting any other bow.. jmo
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Price,Light, Compact,Quiet,Super Trigger, Awesome Looks & can we say SPEED/KE!!!!!
    Middleton Black 355 SS & 375 SS - XB30 - 20" Accuspines - 29 grn. Aluminum Moon Nocks

Quote Originally Posted by randyxx75 View Post
    somebody must be gettin royalties off every 380 sold...?,, Cap just how snuggly did you and Peggy get anyway?????...lol
    seriously though, Anyone considering a crossbow owes it to themselves to shoot the 380,,, only after shooting any other bow.. jmo
    I don't kiss and tell Randy...lol...besides we don't want to sidetrack moons thread again...hehehehe

my stroll through the cabelas xbow line up was a fit and feel test only.some models(nameless) i honestly couldnt believe someone could carry around all day in the woods. im sure if i shot a 350/380 it would be sweet. cant comment on the trigger but i find it hard to believe that all Parker Tornado triggers are 8lbs but i will check a family members Tornado on my trigger scale. anyway i was just comparing the way it shouldered for me and balance more or less. i would say this is the first and most important step in picking a crossbow before shooting. i didnt find the 350/380 to be lean like the Horton TRT.ive had my excalibur triggers worked on and other than a little creep those triggers are fine.most xbows today smooth right out with string stops installed and noise isint an issue for me.my first impressions of this bow is good but im waiting for something to blow me away i guess.

I have 2 Ultra Lites hanging in my shop. They were the hunting crossbows that blew me away last year. They feel really good in the hand as Gemsbok said but they don't come close to the overall qualities offered by the 350 and 380, IMO. Nope, the SZ's are not perfect but come much closer to a perfect hunting crossbow for me than anything I've seen, shot or tested. I do believe that the Ultra Lite was one giant step in the right direction and Bowtech went to school on it. JMO :-) Almost 23,000 hits on the original SZ thread here, before it was locked, is a good indication lots of folks agree with me on these crossbows.
    MOON

I'll repost my thoughts about the StikeZone as well:

1). The safety is in the entirely wrong place and way too light. (subtopic: The "extra" safety bars are dorky and apt to get lost. There would be no need for them if the main safety was better.
    2). The groove for rope cocking is too high and the hooks have a tendancy to jump the string, or pull the string up into the anti-dry fire arm.

Those criticisms aside, I love the size, speed and price. I have a good friend at Bowtech and want them to do well. I am very glad they are in the crossbow market and are making everyone else up thier game.

I agree ... very nice bow in many ways. Personally, I like the safety; but it wasn't an issue on the Strykeforce either way. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten my Strykezone shooting as well as my Strykeforce ... yet. Haven't had much time to shake it out but mine does appear to be ammo sensitive. The trigger is spectacular.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

..after months of trying to find something wrong with Moon's appraisal, I bought the SZ 380 (LOL Moon). SO far I'm very happy with my first crossbow (but not the scope!) My son came home from college and shot it for the first time Sunday. BAM! another crossbow convert! The young #!*&# was stacking arrows (unlike the old man) With the right scope this bow will be incredible. OK Moon, I have to say you were right.
    SZ 380 and SZ 350
    XB 30, Accuspines, RazorTricks
    God, Family, Friends, and THE CONSTITUTION...and my Dog!
    PROUD NATIVE TEXAN

I've already developed a habit of installing the safety and latch lock ( I call it the "super safety") after cocking the crossbow. I'm completely at ease in handling these crossbows, knowing that there is NO way the bow will fire until I remove the lock, and it's really nice not having to put up with that loud clunky safety click of some othere popular crossbows. IMO, there is no other crossbow trigger system even close......no matter what the price, and the elimination of those silly arrow retention springs, some of which are even made of plastic, is cool.

Agreed, the safety rope groove location was obviously designed on a bad day but it's a very easy fix and even this 68 year old with a bum shoulder has no problem cocking these bows.

I'll make a prediction :-).....the SZ crossbows will be trend setters in many ways. Hats off to Bowtech for a great, if not perfect, effort in putting focus on what's important to many crossbow hunters.......including price.
    MOON

From a dealer perspective my first thougth was how much of a stir this new bow was going to cause at board meetings from the other manufactuers. The performance bar was raised and the price bar was lowered. 2012 is going to be VERY interesting as there is going to be a scramble to come up with something to compete directly with the SZ series. If Bowtech can come out with a crank that works on this bow then they are going to be VERY hard to beat. 2012 ATA is going to be VERY interesting indeed...

Wyvern

That's for sure:-)

David, will the Nite Hawk long version work for pressing the 350/380? Can you post a photo of the unit here?
    MOON

Yes it will work but it is on the edge of running out of turns on the turnbuckle. I dont have any instock at the moment to show waiting for more to come in...any one Ive sold one to have a photo??
    Wyvern

nite hawk press

The standard Nitehawk press does work on the SZ 350, but just barely. I would have waited on the smaller version but my serving was getting eaten up and the one bow shop in my area does not have a press that would work with the 350. Ditto to all the positives regarding the 350/380. The one area that needs serious attention is the extreme downward pressure of the string on the rail. I had to change my first serving after 90 shots, and the new .024 Halo serving seems to be showing wear after just 20 - 25 shots. I am hoping my experience is an isolated case, but the thought of having to re serve the bow after so few shots is a downer

JB, what, if anything, are you using on your center serving?
    MOON

Moon...during the lifespan of my first serving I put nothing on the serving, only Venom rail lube on the rail every 20 shots. When I had it re served last week, the guy at the bowshop who is a bowtech dealer (only verticals), suggested we put some Venom string conditioner on the string and serving which we did. What happens when you apply to much rail lube? I was applying it every 20 shots, and using it liberally, thinking if a little is good, more is better. I'm wondering if the whiteish discoloration of the serving may be excess rail lube heating up.

i know on my horton crossbows i have to use alot of the horton grease or the serving wears out fast. but on my tenpoint bows i use a very light coating of oil. im interested in getting one of these stryker bows....or the horton trt ultra lite. i held one and it feels really good. hope it shoots as good as it feels.
    BILL
    TENPOINT TACTICAL XLT

JB, just for kicks, put a new factory string on it and use nothing on the serving and ONLY Jigaloo on the deck. Make sure you wipe it off really good with a paper towel.
    MOON

Quote Originally Posted by GEMSBOK View Post
    went to my local cabelas and checked them out. very nice xbows but my first impressions are... weight and balance was for me was only just o.k. nothing to say wow . i went right down the rack and held every model they had from Barnetts to Exi-s. fit and feel for me i would put it on par with the Parker Tornado. i say the Horton Team Realtree Ultralite still reigns supreme with weight and compactness. the foward trigger on 350/380 just didnt feel right but i guess you would get use to it.i also thought the 2 new Hortons were a nice balance too.im still gonna say compact and light weight is were the trend will go. xbow manufacturers need to take another leap in tree stand friendly bows. i want a short limbed 5lb xbow that can do 350 plus.

then check out the inline x-bow by hickory creek...300+ fps is easily attained and close to your 5 lbs..Jerry is setting one up for me now

For those of you that are considering the Hawke XB30 for your SZ 380, keep in mind the XB30 speed dial goes up to only 360 fps so the scope won't work for 20,30,40,50 yards for a 380 fps crossbow. I've turned the XB30 speed dial down to 260 fps and achieved a 20,40,60,80 yard sight in with 410 grain arrows that are chrono'd at 373/374 fps instead of using a much heavier arrow to slow the 380 down to 360 fps.
    MOON

I sighted my XB30 on my SZ 380 for 25, 35, 45, 55, 65 with the scope setting on 360 using the stock bolts. At 20 it shoots about a half inch high. No problem for me using the 5 yd set up as I sighted in my pins at odd distances for all the years of IBO 3D tournaments. IMO the SZ 380 with the Hawke XB30 is an amazing outfit.
    "Everyday is a Saturday"

Moon, so with the SZ 380 and the Hawke XB30, if you shoot a 440 grain bolt and max the XB30 to 360, you're getting 20-30-40-50-60 at 362 fps. If you shoot 410 grain bolts and tune the XB30 to 260 fps, you're getting 20-40-60-80 (-100?) at 373 fps? Any idea what the max magnification on the XB30 is? The Hawke BRC utility is not jiving with the 373 fps 20-40-60-80. But, since you can't account for arrow weight, it will be off since lighter arrows slow down more quickly than heavier arrows do (I think).

Page 1 of 262 1231151101 ... LastLast