Archery Talk Forum banner

Martin Onza Speed Test with suprising results

5K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  wscywabbit 
#1 ·
I got a chance to retest the speed of the Martin Onza 3. The bow was set at 70lbs, 30" draw, and i am shooting a 350 grain arrow. I shot the bow for several days through the chrono to verify the results. I also shot my NBA Nemesis and Invasion to make sure the chrono was reading correctly. Here is the video showing the results I got:

#4 ·
What was so different between the bows you used to do the reviews? I always thought that a 70lb pull was a 70lb pull and a 30" draw length was a 30" draw length? What was so different? Will a bow that may have been setup out of square cause a BIG difference in speed and performance? It may be a stupid question, but I'm fairly new to archery and I'm curious as to why the two bows were that far off. Great review and I have watched a few of your reviews and find them to be pretty spot on compared to what I find when I do look at a bow that you have reviewed. Great job on the reviews! Keep up the good work!

#7 ·
The bow in my original review was set at 70lbs and 27.5" draw. I can't recall the arrow weight. I speed tested the bow at those specs and the results were to low for it to hit IBO when I did the calculations.

Very impressive. Ike did you measure the DL and DW or go by what Martin told you?
Impressive speed none the less.
I measured both. The bow was at 30" and 71lbs. I backed it down to 70lbs for the test. I said the bow was maxed out but I backed it down a 1/4 turn which is what I do to any bow. I never shoot one with the limbs tightened all the way down

Ike you metion in the video a couple times that the draw is "maxed out". The Onza goes to 30.5" in draw length, so was it maxed out at 30.5" or set to 30". Thank you.
I measured it at 30" on my draw board. I did not look at the specs of the bow so I didn't know it had the extra 1/2". It was set at 30 when I got it so I figured that was maxed out.

#6 ·
Ike you metion in the video a couple times that the draw is "maxed out". The Onza goes to 30.5" in draw length, so was it maxed out at 30.5" or set to 30". Thank you.

#9 ·
Ike,I see a difference that could be the reason for the discrepencys.The first Onza you tried had a TRG,It looks like this one has a cable and slide, what do you say about that.I have an Onza 3 with a TRG.I love it but haven't cronoed it yet.

#10 ·
I did notice that the new one did not have it. I really liked it on the other bow. i saw a noticeable difference in sound between the 2. This one was much louder.

#11 ·
Ike,it would be nice if you could switch the cable slide on that bow for a TRG, would that be possible??

#12 ·
My onza 3 is set at 66# 30" draw with 384 grain arrow and hits 300fps consistently and does have trg sos setup right now although i'm waiting on a cable slide and stop from Martin they replaced my trg for free because I had some fraying of my cable so i'm not sure how much speed is to be gained from 4lbs more draw weight or losing 34 grains arrow weight maybe someone could figure it out

#13 ·
I switched mine over to a slide and stop and the bow is great. I knew mine was fast, thanks for proving it.

#15 ·
My guess is that the cams were not properly synched up on the first bow. I own the Silencer & I am glad to see that Martin continues to stand behind their product and are still pushing the boundaries for other bow companies to break. Keep it up Martin! However, I am kind of baffled that they sent you the cable slide & rod. I thought the TRG/SOS is suppose to be one of their big innovations this year. Seeing them ship the onza 3 to you with the cable slide & rod makes me second guess the TRG/SOS and I have the TRG/SOS equipped on my bow. Things that make you go hmmm. Great video Ike; very informative.

#17 ·
Nice post Ike, I have the Onza, and like you am blessed with a short draw length, and it is very hard to guess how a bow shakes out to it's IBO with a short draw and heavy arrows. I had been tempted to change the DL and let my friend with the ape arms shoot it to see how it would stack up, but now I don't have to! Gotta say though, I'm pretty happy with my bow, even more so now! :darkbeer:

#18 ·
Like Ike's reviews as he is honest and straightforward, and I appreciate the retest. All I can say is Go Martin, Go Martin....

SMARTEN UP AND MARTIN UP!!!

:smile_red_bike:

#19 ·
would definitely be interested what difference you find if you can put the TRG/SOS on and test.
Would be really useful as i've got a Silencer on the way with TRG/SOS fitted but a normal slide in the box to swap if I have issues.
Thanks

#25 ·
One of the guys on the Martin forum did a before and after with his chrono on a customer's Onza. He said that there was no difference between the TRG and an offset rod/slide. He also ran a straight rod/slide and gained about 2 fps difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.