a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Broadhead Target

Best Broadhead Target

I'd like to get opinions on what is the best broadhead target. My current target is the Morrell Yellow Jacket, which works but shooting 25-30 yards in the back yard makes for some pretty tough arrows to pull out. I'm also interested in a target that doesn't have the cheesy little handle that pulls out when you carry it. Both the Block, and now the Morrell have had the handle come undone.

I use one of those blob targets, its pricey mainly due to the shipping there ridiculously heavy, but I've only been shooting broadheads since I got my new release last month, I get some tear out, because of the pattern of the broadhead slicing the target repeatidly thats to be expected though, its holding up incredibly well for being a little over a year old now. Pull out definetely requires two hands, but I dont think theres another target out there nearly as durable.
    -Nick

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin

The very best broadhead target is the Neverwear. The core basically lasts forever. If you're a bad shot you might have to replace the foam every few years, but the center is clay that all you have to do is "beat" back into shape after you shoot a few dozen arrows into it. A deadblow hammer works best.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

A Sand Pit.

cube hybrid by American Whitetail. (www.archerytargets.com). Has replaceable inner core. 1 for fieldpoints and 1 for broadheads. I was shooting a destroyer 340 into one this weekend, from 20-50yds.

blob
    2012 CPXL SH camo 52lbs 436 grain arrow 279fps.
    2014 BT RPM 51.7lbs for wife 378 grain 271fps & 2012 Elite answer 52.5lbs wifes
    2015 bowtech Boss on order
    2015 Hoyt nitrum turbo

Thanks for the replies! I've googled a few of the options and they're all better than what I've got.

Rinehart 18-1
    -Brian

18-1.
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

Ummmm, 18n1, or RhinoBrute. My 18n1 is going on 3 years old and I shoot ALOT of broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey375 View Post
    Ummmm, 18n1, or RhinoBrute. My 18n1 is going on 3 years old and I shoot ALOT of broadheads.
    Is the brute made of the same stuff as the 18-1? I only got about 6 weeks out out of mine.
    The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

18-1; arrows are easy to pull out and has stopped all my broadheads. Have the same one going on 18 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobmuley View Post
    Is the brute made of the same stuff as the 18-1? I only got about 6 weeks out out of mine.
    It seems like it is...maybe not? The RhinoBrute has replaceable cores that are like $25-$30. What did you wear out in 6 weeks?

It seems like it is...maybe not? The RhinoBrute has replaceable cores that are like $25-$30. What did you wear out in 6 weeks?
    One of those 9 in 1s. I'll have to look at the brute to see if it'll be worth it.

The 9n1? The little tiny ball? No wonder. They have the RhinoBlock and the RhinoBrute. I think the Block is 16x16x12, and the Brute is 16^3. One of those is going to be my next target, that way I can hang paper targets on it.

The 9n1? The little tiny ball? No wonder. They have the RhinoBlock and the RhinoBrute. I think the Block is 16x16x12, and the Brute is 16^3. One of those is going to be my next target, that way I can hang paper targets on it.
    They may call it an 18 in 1, but when you shoot one side out the other is toast too.

Never tried a Blob, but have settled on the Multi-Layer density targets that American Whitetail makes. Tried the Rhineharts, Shot blockers, Yellow Jackets (not the new version), and a few others. The Multi density lasts one year, or close to one year and costs $35.00 at Sportsmans. The others are at least double that, sometimes triple, and may last twice as long or a little longer. In the end, there really hasn't been a big enough difference between longevity to make the higher initial investment worth it in the end.

One problem with the MD targets is that you can't shoot field points in them...well you can, they're just a bugger to get out. Not the best 'camp' target. I have a Rhino Brute that I use for that purpose, while it still lasts.
    There's not much of a lesson to be learned the second time a calf kicks you in the balz.

I only got about 6 weeks out out of mine.
    NOt really that bad.
    Think about it this way.... If your target isnt trashed after a couple weeks/months of shooting broadheads, you should probably be looking for a new BH

I'm happy to get a couple months out of a BH target. The 18-1 does pretty good. The blob target I have will last for years but its hell on BHs, not to mention the fact that its very abbraisive and hard to pull arrows.
    “The credit belongs to the man who's actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion and spends himself in a worthy cause; who best knows at the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that this place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither.” Teddy R.

You all really have to try a blob! Mine has taken some SERIOUS abuse so far this year and is fine...no damage at all, and is still stopping plenty of arrows!

Asides from that, 18-1, but the blob blows it out 'da water!
    Looking for the best strings, cables, and rests in the archery industry?
    --Look no further than www.vaportrailarchery.com--

Another vote for the Rinehart. (I reviewed the 18-1 here.)

They may call it an 18 in 1, but when you shoot one side out the other is toast too.
    Yep. I shot at one spot for the first 50 or so shots and had a passthrough. It hollowed out the center, then every other spot shot through even quicker. I actually stopped using BH's in it for the most part after I shot the center out. It eventually completely hollowed out with just a thin covering around a hollow core then fell apart. It's still an OK target, but I won't shoot a ton of BH's into one again. I have the Rhinoblock now and use it sparingly with BH's.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

18-1 has lasted my son and i for going on two years just started this summer shooting it with broadheads though, very impressive target have a block toarget that is 3-4 yrs old that gets left outside all year long and is still going strong shoot it with broadheads all the time start ing to wear on it a little now.

this might be a dumb question but i dont know the answer so im gona ask anyways....

what do you guys that shoot a lot of BH do about keping them sharp for hunting? do you have a practice set amd then switch to go hunt or do you sharpen the blades before you go hunt? i know i need to Bh tune my bow to my field points but i just cant afford to buy 2 sets of BH. and im no expert at sharpening them either. tried that once and didnt get a good job on them for sure. just wondering what you guys do mostly.

I shoot muzzys but i am thinking of switching to another fixed BH. I am just not a fan of the mechanicals.... Shoot them if you prefer but i just dont prefer..

I hate spending $ on targets especially with shooting alot of broadheads (not nearly as many as Whitey), but I have had alot of targets and ended up buying the BLOB this year and it is hands down the best I have shot! Worth ever penny!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_parson View Post
    do you have a practice set amd then switch to go hunt or do you sharpen the blades before you go hunt?
    That's what I do. Depending on whether I'm shooting fixed or replacable blades I either screw on a new ferrule with practice blades to check flight and replace the blades with new before going into the quiver or shoot the new fixed-blade heads a couple times and touchup/resharpen as needed before the real deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast