Thread: Help me out with Ben Pearson

Help me out with Ben Pearson

Hey guys...I just obtained a Ben Pearson recurve...it is a H70 7359 AS-6512. It is a 58" and 45# and 28"...Any info would help I looked and didnt find anything. Also what type of string and Arrows to use with this setup would be appreciated I would like to use wood arrows FYI

Thanks

Dacron string, 12 strand, 54-54.5" long. Arrows will depend on your draw length, tip weight, your release, etc. If you are pulling 28", have a decent release, use a 125 grain point, and cut the arrows 29" BOP a 45-50 or 50-55# spine in soft woods (Port Orford Cedar, Spruce, Douglas Fir, etc.) or a 50-55 to 55-60 in the heavy hardwoods (ash, maple, etc.) should get you in the ball park.

Chad

For strings i go www.flemishstrings.com. That guy knows his old vintage bows too he can definantely help you out. I had a old ben pearson cougar and he even knew to make the top loop a little large because of the extra wide limbs it has. Use stu miller's dynamic spine excel spreadsheet to find the correct arrow its the bomb.

BP-H70, 1969, No. 7359, 58 inches

Recurve

40 to 65 lb.

Brown Pearsonite glass

Semi-pistol grip with thumb rest

Bubinga and Freijo wood handle brown wood(Freijo) on back 1/3 of handle 7 3/4 to 8 1/2 inch brace height

4 1/2 inch sight window

Alot of people will tell you to use b-50 string. But I disagree I,ve been using a 8 strand of d-10 with loops padded to 14-16. That will give the bow 10 more fps an really improve the feel of the bow. There is a big difference with modern strings Will make that old recurve shoot like a new bow. I truely belive that new strings are easier on the bow limbs as long as the loops are padded. I know that you are a newibe to shooting so b-50 will be ok for you but if like shooting the bow try a d-10 an feel the difference for your self. Just my 2 cents

Thanks guys for the help...This bow was my dads but it was just hangin up the last few years...I used to shoot it a little bit in high school just messin around. I hope to decide on a string by the end of the week and am looking at arrows from 3rivers.

If you guys have any opinions on places to get arrow Id appreciate it I would really like to shoot wood arrows and will probably shoot Zwickey heads.