Archery Talk Forum banner

Whats the best crossbow for under $500?

24K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  elkstalkr 
#1 ·
I'm getting surgery the 28th and looking for a crossbow to buy, any ideas?

#3 ·
#6 ·
I am not usually absolute about product selections, but I am personally convinced that the Wicked Ridge crossbows are the best there is for under $500, and quite possibly the best there is dollar for dollar. I attribute much of this to their Ten Point genetics which results in good quality and very nice trigger. I have the Warrior. It is very easy to cock, which is important in your case, and it will get right around 300 fps with a hunting weight arrow. That is about 15 fps more than the manufacturers stated speed. I highly recommend spending a few extra bucks for the scope upgrade. Check it out via the below link, and consider that source to buy from. Can't be beat in terms of overall service and price.

http://www.wyverncreations.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=100

#7 ·
The vast majority of crossbow manufacturers have addressed this problem with a crank system. In general I think that it is more important to find one that fits you and feels right. The other thing you need to figure out is how you are going to handle a cocked crossbow at the end of your hunt. The Excalibur's and a few others can be let down with the cocking rope very easily as they have no DFI (Dry Fire Inhibitor).

Otherwise you have to shoot the crossbow into a "discharge" target or shoot one of Tenpoints biodegradable crossbow arrows. There are some that feel that the only way to safely uncock a crossbow it to shoot it. I just let my Excal down with the cocking rope at the end of my hunt.

Bob

#8 ·
Wicked Ridge ... by TenPoint

#12 ·
Horton TRT U/L ...I too have had surgery on both shoulders with only 20% capacity in my left shoulder[righthand shooter] and the TRT is the only one I have found that I can get up on a shooting stick ....I am sure there are other bows near it's weight but one thing I suggest you check out very carefully ....WHERE the weight is was paramount in my quest and ultimate decision for the Horton TRT U/L as the weight is to the REAR of the bow ...I could not get my hands on every bow out there but the ones that I did that were in or near the TRT's weight class seemed to me to have more weight forward than did the TRT ....so check it out

Bear

#13 ·
I agree with broken bear. ive put about 40 shots thru mine and have 30 bullseyes at diff yardages. it just feels right when shouldered. with my pro slider it seems my head is more sideways due to the cheek piece on stock no being low enough. with ultra lite my body is in a more natural position. very comfy.

#17 ·
Yep if you look under crossbows for sale you can find this posting for a sz350 for 460 tyd. I have a sz350 and its a great crossbow with a awesome trigger.

"2011 Bowtech Strykezone 350s and 380s in stock and shipping
These are in stock and ready to ship...feel free to contact us with questions you might have...We accept USPS money orders, paypal, credit/debit cards.

You can visit our site to purchase directly if you wish!

Bowtech 350 Bare Bow in treestand 460tyd
Bowtech 350 Package in treestand 550tyd
Bowtech 380 Package in treestand 630tyd

#23 ·
I havent been on here much in the last couple months, but wyvern had a good deal on the Parker Buckbuster 175. $399 for the whole works. Scope, bolts, rope cocker, and quiver. I havent shot mine alot, but I have shot it enough to get it sighted in. I have to say I was impressed. Shot a nice tight group. I think 30 was as far as I shot it. That was TYD. You may want to check with him.

#25 ·
SZ 350 - about $499, light, accurate, 130# pull See Wyverns Creations on the web. He sells other bows as well. You will not talk to a more knowledgable guy and he's nice too! I would not buy until I talked to him.

#28 ·
I agree with the Wicked Ridge. Invader or Warrior, both can be had for $500 or less.

Any TenPoint is great, you simply can't beat the integrated draw mechanisms built into the stock. NOBODY else in the industry has this. If you want a crank style draw TenPoint is the only way to go IMO because its built into the stock. A lot less hassle than the others that mount to the butt of your stock.

Rope Cockers work great on any bow, but again TenPoint/Wicked Ridge has them built right into the stock. No searching or fumbling for a rope cocker when you need it. One reason I love TenPoints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.