a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Mathews reezen 6.5. Cam rubbing string suppressor?

Mathews reezen 6.5. Cam rubbing string suppressor?

A friend of mine has a reezen 6.5 and his cam is rubbing the string suppressor. I thought it was a timing issue but the cam is almost spot on. Maybe between a 1/8 in and a 1/4 in off but nothing major. His accuracy is fine so it's not affecting anything. I just wanted to know what could cause this and how can I fix it for him if there is a fix? Even if the timing on the cam was spot on it would still rub seeing how it's only off by a very very very small margin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ttt. No Mathews gurus on here?

mine does the same thing, i just cut off part of it off so it doesnt contact it.

He must have a D/L longer than 28". The Reezens with a longer D/L than 28" would start to notice where just the corner of the string suppressor would rub on the cam. It's because the Reezen cam is draw length specific and the longer your D/L the bigger the circumference is on the cam. I have a 27.5" Reezen 6.5 and it just misses the string suppressor. I'm pretty sure Mathews came out with a longer suppressor bracket arm for the ones that rub and it was taken care of as a warranty issue for no charge.

Thanks guys. At least nothing is wrong with his bow then.

I have only had it happen with a couple 30" DL Reezens.
    Really nothing to worry about.
    Owner, Double Lung Archery Inc.
    LaPorte City Iowa
    Mathews - Mission- Hoyt -Elite and PSE, Infinito Safaris
    https://www.facebook.com/DoubleLungArcheryInc?ref=hl
    319-342-4550 dave@doublelungarcheryinc.com

It happens on my reezen 7.0 with 30 inch draw. The bow shoots accurately so I guess I would have to say there is no noticed effect, but considering the physics of the energy release on a compound bow I still wonder. I went to my local mathews dealer who called the factory and the factory guy he talked to had not heard of it and had not idea what he was talking about. Bottom line I got no help from dealer or mathews. I am still unhappy about that considering what these bows cost and the big deal they make over lifetime warranty. I for one would like it addressed or at least acknowledged by Mathews. Maybe I just went through the wrong people. I had read something on this on the Mathews forums, then suddenly that forum post I saw disappeared. Hmmmm.
    Be REEZENable

I had the same issue with my Reezen and took it to my dealer. He contacted Mathews and they sent out a new suppressor arm and it corrected my problem. So Mathews is aware of this issue. Makes me wonder if your dealer contacted them or not. I would contct Mathews customer service yourself and tell them what has taken place including the name of the dealership that you went through.

Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
    Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
    Bamabows Elite Classic 64" 50@28
    Bamabows Expedition III 60" 48@28

Thanks Bulldog! I will press this issue with them. I sent Mathews a message on this through their forum and got no response.
    Be REEZENable

Check your ATA I bet its a little long.Happens on reezens when s/c stretch.If so twist em up a fudge shorter than spec.This will bring it
    off the suppressor.Have not heard of the new arms.We always get fixed putting everything back a little less than spec.
    Good luck
    2 much foam in my yard 2 get anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by Porterhouse83 View Post
    A friend of mine has a reezen 6.5 and his cam is rubbing the string suppressor. I thought it was a timing issue but the cam is almost spot on. Maybe between a 1/8 in and a 1/4 in off but nothing major. His accuracy is fine so it's not affecting anything. I just wanted to know what could cause this and how can I fix it for him if there is a fix? Even if the timing on the cam was spot on it would still rub seeing how it's only off by a very very very small margin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Timing being an 1/8" off is not nothing major; it's the difference between hitting the vitals vs. hitting the gut. Even 1/16" is major. As for the rubbing, it sounds like he's got a weak limb causing cam lean. The Monsters and Reezens are known for this.

My Reezen, 70 lb. at 30 inch draw, cam is not leaning and the cam is hitting the suppressor. I will try the suggestion of setting the ATA on the short side of spec. to see what happens, but the string is still well visible in the timing hole. So my next point would be why should I have to live with this condition when I get to the top side of string stretch? Of course the answer is I should not have to and will be talking further with Mathews. Great information though, much appreciated.
    Be REEZENable

I should clarify that there is no cam lean on the bow at rest, I guess I should check it at full draw before I say I have no cam lean.
    Be REEZENable

Mine did the same thing and it never caused a problem. I took it back to my Mathews dealer and he said that he has several that did the same. At that time Mathews didn't offer a fix to the problem. We tried new string suppressors with no luck. I fixed mine by taking out the suppressor and lightly touching the rubber with a screwdriver shaft that I heated with a butane lighter. It melted a small trench in the suppressor giving me a little more clearance for the cam. Never have had anymore trouble.

I would agree that cutting, grinding, or using heat to reshape the suppressor gives relief for the cam. It is a head scratcher though considering all the other fine engineering that one sees on a Mathews bow.
    Be REEZENable

I agree 100%. I have to say that I was disappointed that there wasn't a fix to the problem. That was in 2009 when the Reezen came out. I did replaced it with a Z7 and didn't see a repeat of that problem.

I am having the same issue with my reezen 7 rubbing on the supressor, my ATA is at 32 1/8. I also am having serving seperation issues on the string, apparently this is a typical Mathews problem new string in july. PM me with a solution thanks
    MATHEWS CREED TACTICAL - Z7 CAMO- ELITE E35 APS
    JBK BOWSTRINGS PRO STAFF www.jbkstrings.com
    DEAD CENTER ARCHERY PRODUCTS PRO STAFF

Typical problem with serving separation on string? I have not heard of this, can you elaborate? Are you talking about Mathews strings?
    Be REEZENable

Where the string loops on the cam serving is seperating a bit where it breaks over sharply FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by L.I.Archer View Post
    Timing being an 1/8" off is not nothing major; it's the difference between hitting the vitals vs. hitting the gut. Even 1/16" is major. As for the rubbing, it sounds like he's got a weak limb causing cam lean. The Monsters and Reezens are known for this.
    Ahh....don't think so - try again

Do you work on/sell Mathews at your shop?

Suppressor arm length is the issue based on what the OP is describing.
    If you purchased the bow new, Mathews will install a new suppressor arm free of charge.
    I have personally seen the difference in suppressor arms (before and after warranty work).

Also, the only models affected are 28" cams or larger produced early in the Reezen production.
    Blazin' Pond & Oak Savanna - Fowl and Whitetails
    Glacial lakes area, Minnesota

Thank you, finally I see someone describing the problem and the fix. I figured there had to be a fix. My local dealer said he called Mathews and they knew nothing about it and had no fix. I am going to shove this..........in his face and demand the fix. The local dealer is less than hmmm how shall I say this, reliable? coherent? competent?
    Be REEZENable

My reezen did it at 28.5. I didnt thionk anything of it when i had mine and wish i still had it.

I am not going to worry about it right now time to hunt this saturday. The serving issue kind of bugs me though.

I am sorry it is separating on the cable a few inches up from from where it attaches to the cam