Thread: pope & young question

Hybrid View

pope & young question

i had a question for you guys. i relize for a pope and young deer to make book its 125" but would any buck killed with a bow be considered pope & young? i heer people say "my first pope & young buck" but they have killed a bunch of bucks with there bow before. but wouldnt even a 105" deer killed with a bow still be considered 105" pope and young? or is it only pope and young if its 125"+ ? thanks

The culture I stand for is sometimes lost into today’s society, when in fact society was built on the culture of THE HUNTER. A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider…a caretaker…a leader. I will never make excuses for who I am..

In order to be considered a PY it must meet 125" net and entered into their book.

You can also enter bow kills into BC

you can investigate here.. must net over the minimum and officially measured by a P&Y scorer after a drying period.

http://www.pope-young.org/minimum-scores_charts.asp
    Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...

I believe to be in the P&Y record books it has to score 125" or more.

125 net score is what it takes to make pope and young. Gross does not count. In the state of Pa you're deer needs to score 115 to make Pa record book

you can kill a deer that scores 105 on the pope and young scoring system, but to be entered into their record books a whitetail has to net 125" as a typical. So in conversation if u kill a "Pope and Young" it is one that nets over the minimums. Just like when someone kills a "booner" he's at least 170 net Typical. Just general jargon in hunting circles.
    Elite Pulse 70lb 29'' MTB Ascent with five pin head, Trophy Taker Smack down FC, Gold Tip Velocity Pro 300 with blazer vanes

Mossy Oak Prostaff member

Quote Originally Posted by tzoulek View Post
    you can kill a deer that scores 105 on the pope and young scoring system, but to be entered into their record books a whitetail has to net 125" as a typical. So in conversation if u kill a "Pope and Young" it is one that nets over the minimums. Just like when someone kills a "booner" he's at least 170 net Typical. Just general jargon in hunting circles.
    All time records is 170 typ 160 gets you in the BC book ..

Not only does it have to score 125" or better it has to be taken with a bow and arrow set up approved by P&Y. Some gear would exclude your entry.
    Fair chase, sworn witness, drying time, etc.
    Oh, and $ to enter it.

I dont care about entering anything anyway. If you happy with a 105" than have at it. We all have our own goals. To answer the question yes it must net 125" to make their book..

Yes Min Booner is 160/ earns the Certificate and entry in to the Semiannual book /170 earns same Certificate and entry into the Permanent Record book
    Mathews Chill , QAD Ultra Pro HDX-Lost , HHA DS OL 5519, K-Tech String Stop ,Victory VAP 1 400's, ULMER 125 Gr Broadheads (Big Game) Slick Trick 125(Whitetail,Bear) Kuiu gear
    Ex Huey Door Gunner Vietnam 1969-1970, D Troop , 2nd Squadron / 1st Cav Regiment BLACKHAWK

I think when most people say "I shot my first Pope and Young.." , they are saying that they shot a deer that would make the Pope and Young record book(meet the min 125"). I don't think it always means they actually had it scored and entered into the P&P book. I had my first entered this year. Dont know if I would enter another one.
    The size of the animal should never outweigh the memory

My personal website - http://taggedoutproductions.yolasite. com/
    My 2010 Self Filmed 10 Pt kill: [url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ0ZBfDwVwg[/url]

Would a deer taken with an 80% let off bow qualify for P&Y???

Quote Originally Posted by PointerDude View Post
    Would a deer taken with an 80% let off bow qualify for P&Y???
    Yes.But i was thinking they put an astric by it.
    Team 2 Double down

to answer your question I think, yes...any deer killed with a bow has a pope and young score. Just when you hear the people say "my first pope and young" they are referring to the deer being big enough for the books.

Quote Originally Posted by bsites9 View Post
    to answer your question I think, yes...any deer killed with a bow has a pope and young score. Just when you hear the people say "my first pope and young" they are referring to the deer being big enough for the books.
    True that
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.