Thread: Hog hunting in North Carolina - near Outer Banks??

Hog hunting in North Carolina - near Outer Banks??

Has anyone hunted hogs near the coast in North Carolina? We are taking our first big family vacation next week (we have the only kids in the family) and I was thinking about sneaking away for a day of hog hunting. Anyone have experience with an outfitter or public land hunt near Outer Banks?

Thanks for the help.

Elite Judge

TTT - anyone have info to share?
    Elite Judge

There is some public land right on the NC/VA border. You can only access it by boat or by the North 4 wheel drive beach (Just North of Corolla). Apparently there are some hogs that feed on the wild fruit trees (I think the tactic is to find the food source and set up an ambush, bring a ground blind if you have one). There is also a NC DNR office on the way there....filled with employees that know absolutely nothing about hog hunting (I have already tried).

Let me know if you go and/or what you find out about it bc I have done some research but never gone.
    2006 Bowtech Tribute
    26'' draw at 70lbs - 273 FPS
    Whisker biscuit
    GT XT Hunter 5575
    100 gr. Slick Trick Mags

A friend who lives in NC told me some years ago that there are some feral hogs in the east that were hog farm escapees. Visit a few farms in the area where you want to hunt and they will lead you in the right direction. The best hog hunting can be found in western NC from what I've been told.

You are probably waisting your time. Hog populations a low in NC.........meaning if you found some, they would be nocturnal. Imho, you would need to come into SC or Ga to find huntable populations.

I just left nags head yesterday. Heading to 95 I saw deer, turkey, doves, and ......a black bear in the bean fields.

No hogs.
    Elite fan boy currently
    Tailing reds when its hot, up in a tree when its not!