Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Bow Mount (FlipCamera)...with video

DIY Bow Mount (FlipCamera)...with video

After seeing so many bow mounts that people have been doing on here for recording DIY bow hunts I thought I would try one out myself. So I was looking around my junk drawer and I spotted this piece of metal and an old video camera mount for a tri-pod and thought hmmmmmm ...bend it, twist it a little, and this could work...... so I grabbed a set of pliers started to bend it and twist it .....did my best impression of He-Man and the finished product is here.....flat black spray paint and some dampers glued to the bracket for shock absorption.

Here's the video.....Flip Camera. This is from my deck and the target is 20 yards away.....Can't wait to try it out this year on a whitetail.

Attached Images Attached Images
    HILLSIDE CUSTOM SLINGS, LLC
    CUSTOM BOW SLINGS, RANGEFINDER LANYARDS, BINOCULAR LANYARDS, NECK LANYARDS, SURVIVAL BRACELETS, DOG COLLARS, KEY FOBS
    LIKE US ON FACEBOOK-HILLSIDE CUSTOM SLINGS, LLC
    RED ARROW ARCHERY SUPPLIES, LLC PRO STAFF- TEAM MICHIGAN

Very cool
    2013 Mathews Creed, Limbsaver Elite Prism Sight, QAD HD Pro,B-Stinger, Tru Fire, QAD Exodus and Rage
    55# Damon Howatt Hunter Recurve
    And a homemade long bow...

If you wouldn't mind please post a couple shots of the mount without the camera on or on the bow, interested in seeing how the twist looks and what you are using to dampen the vibration.

Not a problem........give me a little bit and I'll get back on later tonight and post some more pics.
    CUSTOM BOW SLINGS, RANGEFINDER LANYARDS, BINOCULAR LANYARDS, NECK LANYARDS, SURVIVAL BRACELETS, DOG COLLARS, KEY FOBS

The first pic is the old camera mount the connects the old style camera to a tripod....the second pic is the underside of the mount with a mathews damper cut in half and glued to the bottom for a dampening effect....the third pic is the mount with the bracket put together with 2 mini mathews dampers glued on top and the original piece of metal for a reference...with the last pic of the original piece of metal and the one I twisted with a set of pliers and flat black spray paint to dull it down.

Here's what I did. I have a GoPro that comes with all different kinds of mounts. I used a handle bar mount and put it on my stab.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgarbarino View Post
    Here's what I did. I have a GoPro that comes with all different kinds of mounts. I used a handle bar mount and put it on my stab.
    Nice!!

Sweet!!
    Numbers 6:24-26
    Follow the blood trail that leads to Calvary!!!
    Team Bowtech Pro Staff, Gold Tip Pro Staff, Christian Bowhunters of GA CO-President

YEP... I am really liking the Flip Mount Idea... I have a Flip Mino, and I will be putting on my Hunting Rig this year.

Here's another vid....I put some moleskin on the mount where the camera sits on and on the bracket itself to see if it would help with shock factor....it looks like it helped a little bit...(who knows I might be seeing things )....if you watch it on YouTube in HD you can actually see the arrow hit the target (and the video is larger on the screen then on here) which is what I was hoping it would do...I want to see the impact shot on the deer so I might do some more tinkering around to get more of the shock out of the shot.

What is the specifics on the Screw that actually screws into the bottom of the Flip? I dont see myself using a Tri-pod mount piece, and I wanted to grab whatever size bolt I would need to use. Is it like a 1/4"x18 or 1/4"x20? I am thinking I might need about 5/8" long by the time I use 1/8" or 1/4" steel. I just need to know the Thread size of the bolt!

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno Dan View Post
    What is the specifics on the Screw that actually screws into the bottom of the Flip? I dont see myself using a Tri-pod mount piece, and I wanted to grab whatever size bolt I would need to use. Is it like a 1/4"x18 or 1/4"x20? I am thinking I might need about 5/8" long by the time I use 1/8" or 1/4" steel. I just need to know the Thread size of the bolt!
    I just measured the thread hole where the screw mounts in and it's 1/4 inch wide and it looks like a 1/4 inch deep

Yeah... I forgot to post. I brought some 1/4"x20 thread bolts home and that is what it is. They are 1/4x20 threaded, I have 1/2" long bolts and it has Plenty sticking out once it is tight, so that will give plenty for the mount that I build. I am thinking of using like a 1/2" wide L bracket and tap the end that attaches to the Stabilizer bolt 5/16x24, that way it will thread on and not just slide. I am also thinking of rubber dipping the entire L. That might help to dampen the vibro and shock!

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno Dan View Post
    Yeah... I forgot to post. I brought some 1/4"x20 thread bolts home and that is what it is. They are 1/4x20 threaded, I have 1/2" long bolts and it has Plenty sticking out once it is tight, so that will give plenty for the mount that I build. I am thinking of using like a 1/2" wide L bracket and tap the end that attaches to the Stabilizer bolt 5/16x24, that way it will thread on and not just slide. I am also thinking of rubber dipping the entire L. That might help to dampen the vibro and shock!
    Rubber dip would be a great idea........post a pic of it when you are done, and post a video too......Good luck

Well I bought some Rubber Spray today at OSH and decided to spray the L Angle and the 1/4x20 bolt for the Flip. They came out real good, and I am gonna get it mounted to the Athens tomorrow for a few test shots. I will post a video once I get it setup and shooting. Here are some pics of the mount.
    Rubber Coated Angle 2.jpgRubber Coated Angle 1.jpg

I tried damping the one I built. It helped, but only a very small amount. The biggest improvement I found was boring the mounting hole larger enough to put a rubber wiring grommet in it, then just putting the bolt into that so there was a way to isolate vibration between the mounting bracket and the camera. Then I added the mini-damper between that mounting bolt and the camera and took almost all the shock out of it.

I can assure you that if the camera is directly attached to a metal bracket there will be some shocking getting to the camera.

Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

Well I have been doing some modifications to the Flip Mount. Vibration is still there a little bit, and I need to start holding the bow a little steadier, but it works really good, I think I am going to work a little more on it.

Here is after some tinkering.

Dan take a few pics of your mount......doing something right u hardly have any vibration....Im interested what your set up looks like to stop the shock factor......vid looks good

Thanks for the comment Jason, I will do that for sure this evening when I get home, I didn't get on much yesterday was real busy. I still want to work on the mount a little more, and I am also thinking that I might want to make a mount that is offset from the stabilizer, because the way everything is right now, I can not see the screen of the flip at all if I am holding my bow in line. Kind of don't like that, cause I cant see what it is pointing at. I would hate to have the Buck of a life time in front of me, and I think I have him and come to find out the camera was looking at the ground or 10 feet left! I will get you some pictures of the current setup for sure.

That's why I offset mine because of that same reason...I couldn't stand not being able to see the screen either.

I have been thinking about using some kind of lite weight angle (Maybe Aluminum) That was I dont have to be doing heating and bending. I will have a vertical and horizontal leg. I need to get some cool weather out here so I can spend some hours in my garage. Temps everyday 98-100 makes my garage a sauna.

Ok... I finally got out in the garage and got a couple shots of my mount as it is right now. I am not 100% happy with it, but it has been way to hot here in Fresno to be working in a Garage that registered temps of 118 this afternoon. So I will be working on it a little bit this weekend, in the morning when it is still a little cool.

flipmount1.jpgFlipmount2.jpg

Nice ideas guys

Well I have some new brackets that I am in the process of Rubber Spraying... I am making one that will allow the Flip to be off to the side of my Bow Hand, so that I can see the screen of the Flip while filming, than I will know what I am looking at. I will have them completed probably tomorrow, and I will get some pictures up.

My flip camera makes a pretty loud beep when I turn it on. Did you do anyting to dampen or eliminate that noise?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast