Thread: Deer COVERED in Tumors? What to do?

Deer COVERED in Tumors? What to do?

Guys today my dad and I were taking our weekend trip to the 3d range we practice at and at 10:50am saw a deer in the MIDDLE of a huge field...100 yards away from the closest woods line and only 75 yards from the road. It picked its head up and we saw a decent rack so we decided to turn around and take a look at it through the bino's. When I put my binos on him I saw his body was covered in black tumors. The lower half of his body especially. Then he picked up his head and my goodness!! The entire face of the deer was black, eyes appeared to be completely closed over with tumors. Just felt horrible. I decided to call our DNR and ask what we should do (if anything). They said they would talk to the patrol officer on call and see what he wanted to do. I thought they would want to put him down but they didnt seem overly worried. I honestly thought about shooting this deer from the roadside and believe me I've NEVER thought about doing anything like that. I follow the laws to the letter as our reputations as hunters is all that we have but just as if I hit a deer with my car and knew it would die regardless of what I did and would have to make myself stop its suffering I honestly thought about doing it in this case. The only thing that stopped me was I have NO idea why they would grow these tumors or if it in fact is as bad as it appears. The only thing that I'd feel worse about than watching this deer walk around would be shooting it and finding out it wasnt needed. Anyone have any idea what was going on or what I should have done?

I have seen numerous deer over the years with these tumors also and felt bad for the deer too. That being said the instance of deer having tumors is more frequent than we realize from talking to biologists and they do not seem to worry about them. I still feel bad for the deer though. Did this one look healthy other than the tumors?
    Venison its whats for dinner
    "BREATHN Tuned" Stevens Prevailer 28.5" DL 70lbs .300 spine Black Eagle Rampages 434 Grain @ 291 FPS. Limb Driver, Hindsight Equalizer, Trophyridge Micro Alpha V5, B-stinger 10.25", Scott Sabertooth, Slicktrick Razortricks and Steelforce Phatheads

I can appreciate that you feel bad but there's nothing you can do other than call the conservation officer. Definitely do not shoot it yourself out of season, just asking for trouble.
    And still....

Unfortunately, you have to let nature takes it's course. My guess is that for every one deer we see suffering in some way with our own eyes, there are another 5+ we can't see going through some type of ordeal/pain. As beautiful as nature can be, it can also be very unforgiving and hard.

tumors

I have seen a few as well. This fella has some deformation to his antlers probably due to the tumors as I understand are caused by bacteria from a wound.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 Mathews Z7 29/70

Staff http://www.mdhunters.enjin.com/

http://home.mdwfp.com/wildlife/speci...px?article=115

They are no big deal unless they are in a location that interferes with eating or seeing.

yum
    Hell yea I hunt those poor little deer I eat them too.
    highcountryarchery.net/ Yea they are back and making excellent bows!!!!!!!!
    I created the staggar back tuning method

coyote bait !

yea these were really bad. Not a single tumor but litterally his entire face was covered. I really dont think he could see, or atleast not well. Really felt bad about it and I understand there are a lot more out there that we can't see that are like that but the fact is I saw this one, if something needed to be done I had the equipment with me to do something about it. We dont have coyotes around here...there only real enemy is hunters and cars. It just upset me to see...first time I'd seen that.

Call the DNR and let them do what they do. Hopefully, he will be fine and healthy come November.

They are probably warts. I had a deer on cam this year completely covered with them. I thought exactly like you and wanted to kill the animal in fear of the warts spreading to the rest of the herd. Talked to the conservation officer in my area and he said that the warts are not contagious and the survival rate of a deer with them is 50%. Basically he said it is an immune deficiancy and predators usually take care of them before the season opens up. I havent had this deer on camera twice so I am guessing the coyotes filled their belly's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurken View Post
    http://home.mdwfp.com/wildlife/speci...px?article=115

They are no big deal unless they are in a location that interferes with eating or seeing.
    This^
    2011 Hoyt Rampage XT, 66lbs, 28.5'', WB, Black Gold Amp, Fuse Quiver, Beman ICS Hunters, 100gr Thunderheads

Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    Unfortunately, you have to let nature takes it's course. My guess is that for every one deer we see suffering in some way with our own eyes, there are another 5+ we can't see going through some type of ordeal/pain. As beautiful as nature can be, it can also be very unforgiving and hard.
    What he said.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.