View Poll Results: If there was a Field Archery Tour, would you participate??

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • NEVER. It would just be a waste of tme.

7 6.31%
  • Yes, but only 1 or 2 events though.

28 25.23%
  • Yes, at least 3 or 4 events.

32 28.83%
  • ABSOLUTELY, as long as there is breath in my body!!

44 39.64%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Archery Tour??

Field Archery Tour??

I've been cooking this idea off and on for a couple of years. I wanted to see what folks might think of it if it actually happened.

The overall Tour would consist of 5 shoots. Four "Regular" shoots and a National Championship that would crown the Shooter of the Year based on performance SOY would require 3 of the regular shoots and the National Championship shoot. Friday would consist of an Animal Round in the morning and a Pro/Am 14 target Field round in the afternoon. The Pro/Am would have prize packages given away to the winners. Saturday would have a 28 target Field Round and maybe some kind of novelty shoot in the afternoon/evening. Sunday has 28 target Hunter Round. At the conclusion of the Hunter Round, the Top 8 shooters in the Championship/ Pro division would participate in a Shoot Down Round. I have yet to decide whether it would be a cumulative event or a head to head match-up style. This would add another 4 targets hopefully with LOTS of spectators.

Classes would include Male and Female Championship/Pro, and M and F for Freestyle and Bowhunter Freestyle through all ages.

The goal would be to have big money payouts for the Championship/Pro division and maybe a payout to the Champion of all the other ADULT Divisions. I have a payback schedule in my head but it really comes down to finances and sponsor involvement.

So, would you go if it were there.
    **This post was in no way, shape, or form intended to be the Gospel. Your experience may have been and may continue to be different. That is OK. We can still get along.**
    NCFAA Secretary/Treasurer
    www.ncfaa-archery.org Team Bob's Sporting Goods Biscoe, NC 910-428-2006 Team Jubilee N.O.A.H. Pro Staff HDI Staff shooter

sounds good, when do we start!
    IF IT LOOKS LIKE A "X" AND IT IS A "X" IT MUST HAVE BEEN SHOT WITH A HOYT!

Sounds interesting and like a good idea. Or at least a good start.

The only thing I would do is dump the animal round. Even more so if only 14 targets. The Friday Pro AM is a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is a great idea. After seeing the success that the European Pro Tour has had, I wondered why we didn't have something like that here. Would the age groups be grouped by NFAA, or FITA groupings? I know some of the 20 something shooters in the NFAA would like to shoot with their peers, instead of shooting with people who have been shooting longer than they have been alive. Any idea of where the shoots would be? I personally would like to see Cumberland and DCW on the schedule.

Since the games would be based on the NFAA rule book, I would use the NFAA's guidelines on age classes as well.

Cumberland and DCWC are two of the clubs I have in mind but ultimately it would come down to interest and availability.
    **This post was in no way, shape, or form intended to be the Gospel. Your experience may have been and may continue to be different. That is OK. We can still get along.**
    www.ncfaa-archery.org Team Bob's Sporting Goods Biscoe, NC 910-428-2006 Team Jubilee N.O.A.H. Pro Staff HDI Staff shooter

We could hold a leg if Lancaster isn't too far north, think everyone enjoyed our course this weekend??!!
    PSE Field Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Factory Staffer, Black Eagle Pro Staff
    LAC Officer, 'Insteada' Founder, DIY Tinkerer, PSE DC cam user
    2014 Phenom DC, 55lbs/31.25" DL = fast and smooth bow hunter rig!!
    2011 PSE 'Supra' 60lb with DC cams, unlimited target bow!!
    2013 Vendetta DC 60lb

i wont cast a vote till i understand a little more about the money system.
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    It's not that I'm cranky, I just dont care what you think.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

Quote Originally Posted by rock monkey View Post
    The current model I'm working under would pay the Shoot Down shooters ONLY. That is based on 20 shooters in that class. Less than that and the Top 4 only would get paid. Kinda like making the cut at a PGA event. If over time the events could support more shooters and more paid places, I would definitely look at expanding the field, but I am planning on keeping it relatively small for now. The plan is pretty ambitious but the payout I am trying to work with now is:

1st Place: $10,000
    2nd Place: $7,500
    3rd Place: $5,000
    4th Place: $2,500
    5-8th Place: $1,000 each

The National Championship would be:

1st Place: $15,000
    2nd Place: $10,000
    3rd Place: $7,500
    4th Place: $5,000
    5th-8th Place: $2,000 each

I am also looking at paying the Host Clubs $5,000 + $10 per shooter.

Again, I know that is quite ambitious but I feel as though if the right sponsors were approached it would be VERY doable.

Are those per event winnings? Will there be an overall points competition for a series champion? What kind of entry fee paid class/other classes?

I would definately try and get out to a couple if I could, I like the idea of the PA shoot, much closer for the canucks

Yes those are per event winnings for the Championship/Pro classes.

There would be a Shooter of the Year Champions bonus but it has yet to be determined.

Entry fees as of now are probably gonna be Championship/Pro class $100, Amateur classes $50, and <18 years old $25. I'm still looking at the fiscal part of everything trying to determine how best to make this work for the Series as well as the archers involved. You should see my notes.

No place at the table for senior pro's?

Quote Originally Posted by TNMAN View Post
    No place at the table for senior pro's?
    Not intending on hijacking here....It would probably be a good idea AFTER the series got started if there was enough interest. Brand new series and already splitting onto several money classes IMO would not be a wise choice. Take a look at the Euro Pro archery series, they have done very well considering they only have 2 classes, Male and Female Unlimited.

How far west/north do you see this tour being held? There are quite a few of us up here that would shoot but it would depend on the travel distance. Personally, I doubt I could swing all of them, especially down to NC. But you never know...
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..

Theres a 4 star field course near here that is the best Ive ever seen... I know they would love to host one event...

I REALLY hope something like this were to come about.... Is this idea based on something like the European Professional Tour?

B~
    "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
    -St. Francis of Assisi

This is a great idea, but please think outside the box. Do not limit the possibilities of such an event(s) by basing your rules and competition on the NFAA format. The archaic rules and tournaments have not kept up with the changes in archery and society in general. People are gonna want something fresh and better than what is currently offered by the NFAA. If people wanted the same old thing that is offered by the NFAA, you would be seeing growth in the NFAA membership and tournaments. Take a page from the ASA, they have been very succesful. They took an established format and tweeked it to give shooters something fresh. When starting fresh, that is the time to institute the changes that will make a new archery format succesful.

All ideas on the new format and new rules will not be perfect, "THAT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE", but if the participants have an understanding, that this new formats powers that be, have a willingness to listen, learn and institute changes for the betterment of the organization and its members (participants) unlike the NFAA, it can and will be successful. None of this heirachial BS associated with the NFAA.

It may sound as if I am down on the NFAA. Maybe I am. But, if their format was working, you would be seeing growth and not a continuing decline in interest and participation.

IF SOMETHING IS GOING TO BE NEW AND SUCCESFUL, IT HAS TO BE FRESH. THE SAME OLD THING WILL NOT WORK!!!!

My comments are not meant to be criticism, they are meant to be constructive and to encourage thinking outside of the old NFAA box. I hope and pray that you are succesful in your attempt to start a new Field Archery format, as we need it. I would be willing to help in anyway I could.

I have some ideas that I will add in my next post.

Quote Originally Posted by ROSKO P View Post
    ...IF SOMETHING IS GOING TO BE NEW AND SUCCESFUL, IT HAS TO BE FRESH. THE SAME OLD THING WILL NOT WORK!!!!
    I somewhat disagree with this. I think that where the money is, so goes the crowd. If the NFAA had more money payouts, and the shoots were in more VIABLE locations, rather than South Dakota or wherever it is up there.... There would be a larger following. If you increase the availability, and cash payouts, people will follow.

Just an immediate thought...

B~
    "Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."
    "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."
    -St. Francis of Assisi

Here is my idea for classes. These are all male and female classes.

PRO
    SENIOR PRO (45 yrs and up)
    SENIOR OPEN (any style, 45 yrs and up)
    OPEN (any style)
    YOUNG ADULT (15-18 yrs)
    YOUTH (under 15 yrs)

I was thinking of maybe a class structure in each division (except professional classes), based on past scores. With maybe sometype of move-up provision. I think the class structure would be needed to encourage new and future continued participation.

PPROFESSIONAL CLASS (money and award)
    CHAMPIONSHIP CLASS (money and award payout)
    A CLASS (award)
    B CLASS (award)

NOTE: If a person shoots in a professional class in any other organization, then they must shoot in the Professional division.

What about having an International instead of the much maligned animal round? IF I am correct, the International round does away with alot of the targets feared by 3d and hunters. Have the round open to HUNTERS, with the ASA guidelines for equipment, and make it FREE. Now you have a format more in the comfort zone of most hunters, the vast majority of archers in the States, with them having a class all theirnown so they can shoot with their buds and not be intimidated by being put in a group of 550 bhfs shooters. I think this might be a way to introduce new blood into the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by ROSKO P View Post
    Here is my idea for classes. These are all male and female classes.

PRO
    SENIOR PRO (45 yrs and up)
    SENIOR OPEN (any style, 45 yrs and up)
    OPEN (any style)
    YOUNG ADULT (15-18 yrs)
    YOUTH (under 15 yrs)

I was thinking of maybe a class structure in each division (except professional classes), based on past scores. With maybe sometype of move-up provision. I think the class structure would be needed to encourage new and future continued participation.

PPROFESSIONAL CLASS (money and award)
    CHAMPIONSHIP CLASS (money and award payout)
    A CLASS (award)
    B CLASS (award)

NOTE: If a person shoots in a professional class in any other organization, then they must shoot in the Professional division.
    IMO thats way too many classes for a new series.

Brad HT, by somewhat disagreeing with my post, it actually sounds like you agree with me. The NFAA has been doing things the same way forever and will continue to do so as long as the current leadership and structure are in place, including money payouts.

They did shake things up this year in Yankton this year, though not to the benifit of its membership. The membership (shooters) were actually penalized by making the actual NFAA Outdoor Nationals a 3 day only. Whether or not membership agreed with a 3 day or 5 day format was not the reason for the 3 day only shoot. This move was made to accomadate the USA Archery shoot and the Hoyt shoot. Neither of these shoots has any connection to the NFAA and its membership.

I don't want to make this a bash the NFAA thread, but learning from the NFAA's mistakes and lack of forward vision can be used to the advantage of a new organization.

I THINK A NEW ORGANIZATION AND FIELD FORMAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!

If the original poster is trying to start a Professional Tour, I would agree with you about my proposed amount of classes. But, if the OP is trying to start a tour that appeals to the masses then I think I am right on. My proposal eliminates all of the different class styles except one, "Open" shoot what you bring. But at the same time allows for larger participation numbers by breaking the Open style down by class (score) structure.

I may be way off by thinking that the OP was hoping to start a tour that benefited field shooters as a whole and not just Professional money shooters. If the hope is for a Professional Tour, then there is no need for anything other than a male and female class.

it's a money shoot. classes for guys and girls. stop tryin to make everyone a winner with their own class. we already have enough problems with too many classes and too few competitors. if it grows and the people are there, then fine...expand it. till then, keep it small.

the single biggest issue is getting people to come and play while still making a win something to be proud of. i'm still waiting for an answer of what color medal they give 7th place in the olympics. anyone? anyone?

we all hear of people that 'say' they'll play but at the end of the day, how many actually DID play?
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    It's not that I'm cranky, I just dont care what you think.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

OK, fine if thats haw you feel then I will leave this alone. But I am going to leave you with this.

How do expect to grow a Archery Tour when there are only about 5 people in the US capable of winning it. Their have been only 2 different winners in the last 10 Outdoor Nationals . Jesse Broadwater and dave Cousins.

Do You actually think you can attract enough shooters to shoot against these two guys to support a new tour. Well, all I can say is goodluck with that one.

Having listened to some of the best in the biz talk about Field Archery, I think you should discuss rules and format with them if you want them to show.

I don't think they are at all interested in it being similar to the NFAA Animal (Field and Hunter hardly decide it) Nationals that they currently shoot. They are interested in revamping the scoring. Something along the lines of X=6 and spot=5 or x=5 and spot=4. Otherwise you will have a bunch of guys who shoot 557 up and there will be hardly any separating from 1st to 10th.

If you change the scoring format and scrap the animal round, you will really have something worth shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by rock monkey View Post
    I wish our Elected Officials would adhere to that logic.
    Ephesians 2: 8-9 (it's what He's done, not me!)
    BOW: 2012 PSE Dominator Pro,
    ARROWS: PSE Radial X Weave Pro 200's
    Axcel HD PRO, Truball , Trophy Taker SS
    Keurig

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast