RESULTS of Firenock Challenge 2011

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

RESULTS of Firenock Challenge 2011

Firenock Challenge 2011 Results
    (Firenock, Lumenok, Carbon Express)

Introduction

This review was done as part of the Firenock Challenge 2011. I am not employed by any of the companies included in the review. Although Firenock is “sponsoring” this challenge, my goal is to be completely unbiased and truthful. I am in no way a professional archer or an expert on lighted nocks. Actually, I had never shot a lighted nock before this challenge.

Firenock Challenge 2011 was designed to make comparisons/contrasts between Firenock and the different available brands of lighted nocks on the market and to expose the pros & cons of each. Each person involved was to choose 2 brands other than Firenock with which to conduct the review. I chose Lumenok and Carbon Express.

Process

1. Each nock was to be shot 100 times unless it died before the 100th shot.
    2. Day 1, shoot each nock at a target 25 times.
    3. Day 2, shoot each nock at a target 25 times and leave the 25th shot in the target with the nock lit for one week to test battery life.
    4. After 1 week, replace the battery and shoot each nock into a target 25 more times.
    5. Then, soak the entire arrow (nock included) in tap water for 24 hours.
    6. The next day, shoot each nock into a target 24 times.
    7. The 100th and final shot was optional. It was to be shot into a cinder block

Availability

Firenock: After checking with 2 local sporting goods stores (Mark’s Outdoors & Simmon’s) and looking at Bass Pro Shop online to see if they had them (before I made the drive for nothing) with no success, I ended up ordering the Firenocks online directly from the Firenock website. This increased the out-of-pocket expense due to shipping costs, however, they were shipped very quickly.

Lumenok: Lumenoks were found at the first place I looked (Mark’s Outdoors), but were not at Simmon’s. Just to be thorough, I looked online at Bass Pro Shop and they had Lumenoks also. I didn’t check, but I doubt Firenock sold Lumenok. ☺

Carbon Express: Carbon Express Lazer Eyes were also found at the first place I looked (Mark’s Outdoors), but were not at Simmon’s. Just to be thorough, I looked online at Bass Pro Shop and they had Carbon Express Lazer Eyes also.

Affordability

Firenock: Firenocks were by far the most expensive nocks I bought for the review. The Firenock “E” was $20.95, the Extreme Shock End Cap was $9.95, and the shipping was $5. Total cost of buying one Firenock at a time (online) was $35.90.

Lumenok: The Lumenok was the second most expensive nock bought for the review. A 1-pack cost $11.99 plus tax at Mark’s Outdoors.

Carbon Express: The Carbon Express Lazer Eye was the most affordable lighted nock I bought for the review. It was $9.99 plus tax at Mark’s Outdoors.

User Friendliness

Firenock: The Firenock did not come ready-to-go out of the pack and required a small amount of assembly. It included 5 pieces and a tool to help insert the end cap. Assembly proved to be a pain and was the least user friendly of all products tested. It required glue. At first, the nock seemed too loose, but I finally got it to stay in place after some tinkering. I think once some glue residue dried on the inside of my arrow it made for a tighter fit. To turn the nock off, just drop it onto a hard surface.

Lumenok: The Lumenok came completely ready to go straight from the pack. All that had to be done was insert the nock into the arrow. To turn the nock off, you just had to wiggle it from side to side a few times to slightly pull it away from the arrow. Overall, it was the most user friendly.

Carbon Express: The Lazer Eye came completely assembled. The only thing you had to do was remove a small red piece that kept the battery from making contact and running down while in the pack and insert the nock into the arrow. Turning it off was achieved by simply pulling the nock slightly away from the arrow.

Performance

Firenock:
    False Start: We first got outside to shoot and it started raining so I pulled the arrow from the string and the nock came off on the string due to the nock being too loose in the arrow. After this, I placed a small amount of glue on the outside edge of the nock to see if it would stay in my arrow and shot a few times. The nock stayed in but still did not function properly. Lighting only 2 out of 4 times. I then broke the dot of glue I placed on the outside of the nock to hold it in the arrow and removed the nock to inspect what the problem was. To my dismay, the extreme shock end cap was stuck down in the other end of the arrow and the battery had glue residue on it so I replaced the battery. I shot it again and the circuit board came out of the nock and into the arrow shaft because the end cap was lodged down in the arrow shaft further than it needed to be so I removed the circuit board and decided to work on it a little more. I glued another extreme shock end cap in at the correct depth and decided to allow more time for the glue to dry and give it another try the next day. I attribute the Day 1 mishap mostly to myself not giving the glue sufficient time to dry and hold the end cap in place.
    Restart: After inserting another end cap and allowing the glue to dry overnight, it was finally time to see the Firenock in action. The Firenock failed to light on the first and sixth shot and went off after hitting the target on the tenth shot. It lit the other 22 out of 25 shots.
    Day 2: The Firenock performed flawlessly on day 2 lighting 25/25 times.
    Day 8: I was unable to do any further tests with the Firenock because the circuit wire broke when changing the battery.

Lumenok:
    Day 1: The Lumenok performed flawlessly during the first round of 25 shots, lighting brightly each time.
    Day 2: On the 8th shot, the Lumenok appeared to go out after hitting the target but upon closer inspection it had just gotten very dim for some reason. However, on shots 9-25 it was back to its normal brightness.
    Day 8: After changing the battery I did the 3rd round of 25 shots. The Lumenok performed flawlessly once again lighting 25/25 times.
    Day 10: After soaking the arrow in tap water for 24 hours, I continued the testing. The Lumenok performed flawlessly lightling 24/24 times. On the 25th shot (into a cinder block) the Lumenok lit but went out upon impact. Upon inspection, the battery came out of the nock upon impact.

Carbon Express: The Lazer Eye failed to light on the first couple of shots so I removed the nock and repositioned it. It then lit on the next shot but failed again on the fourth so I removed it again to see what the issue was. The light came off inside the arrow rendering it useless. We finally were able to remove the light from the shaft and found that the nock had come unglued from the battery. I tried to fix it by gluing it back but this made the sliding mechanism to rough and unable to function properly.

Visibility
    (Results of this section may not be completely dependable because I used 3 different color nocks. Color differences may have played a role in visibility/brightness.)

Firenock (RED): The Firenock appeared to be the second most visible (judging by brightness) nock tested. Also of note, the exposed end of the Firenock was significantly smaller than the exposed end of the Lumenok. This also may have contributed to the apparent difference in brightness.

Lumenok (PINK): The Lumenok was the brightest nock tested possibly due to color, larger exposed surface area, and a larger battery. On round 3, I will install the same type battery in both the Firenock and Lumenok.

Carbon Express (GREEN): This nock was bright, but I’d say the red and pink were more visible.

Battery Life:

Firenock: I finished the second round of shooting at around 6:30 in the evening. The next morning when I got up the Firenock was still very bright, but by the time I returned that evening around 4:30 it was completely out. The circuit wire snapped when I was attempting to change the battery.

Lumenok: After day 2, The Lumenok was left on in the target to test battery life. After 24 hours it was still on, however, it was significantly less visible/bright. The Lumenok was left on a full day before the Firenock and the battery life was significantly longer as it was still faintly glowing 7 days later. The battery fits very snugly but there were no real difficulties when changing it.

Carbon Express: Although the Lazer Eye could no longer be tested, I could still manually turn it on so I decided to go ahead and test battery life. Keep in mind it had not been shot 50 times like the other 2 nocks. I turned it on at 8 pm on the same evening I finished the Firenock’s 50th shot. 3 nights later it was still bright. It finally went out after being left on for 5 days, but I pushed it and it came on again.

Durability

Firenock: Not sure if this should go here or in the “user friendliness” section, but when I attempted to take out the dead battery to change it, the circuit wire snapped. This was the end of the road for the Firenock.

Lumenok: After the 3rd round the Lumenok was submerged in tap water for 24 hours. After only a few hours in the tap water, the Lumenok was slightly glowing and this continued for a few hours but then subsided. After over 24 hours in the water, I took the arrow and bounced the Lumenok on the counter and it immediately came on with what appeared to be normal brightness. The 100th shot was into a cinder block. The battery came out of the nock upon impact, therefore, the nock did not stay lit.

Carbon Express: Since the Lazer Eye broke on the fourth shot it didn’t do too well in the durability category. I was able to turn it on manually after gluing it back together so I decided to go ahead and further test its durability by shooting into concrete while it was lit. It went off when I shot it into concrete, but, surprisingly, I was able to turn it on again manually. This was the end of the road for the Carbon Express and its arrow. It didn’t make it through round 1.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

I love it.Great honest review.I wish you had tested nockturnals,but I understand you can't buy and test them all.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Fantastic review!

6. Remove Advertisements
    ArcheryTalk.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I think we have an issue here Huston. Firenock is the best fitting Lighted nock in the market. Just by reading the first few sentence, I would have call if I were the tester. Epic shaft used must be over 6 years old as the Epic are H nock size for easton since 2006!

From the report I can tell that the size of Firenock in the test is not be the right size for the arrow. As the other 2 nocks are Lumenok signature nock which is 0.244" and the Laser eye is 0.244", Firenock E is for 0.229" to 0.233" ID shaft. No wonder nothing works. I think the test need to be redo, if I have any say!
    Dorge O Huang Hidden Content Tel: (815) 780-1695 C: (708) 267-0474
    Operating Manager of Firenock LLC, The Most Advanced Lighted Nock® Company • URL: Hidden Content • Web Store: Hidden Content
    Maker of Firenock®, Aerovane®, Aerovane® Jig, AeroRest™, APS, PAPS, AeroPoint™ with FACT™(Firenock Arrow Concentric Technology), AeroInsert™, ACT, CTI, AeroOutsert™, AeroBolt™, AeroBushing™, AeroConcept™, AeroBowString Jig, Traumahawk™, Dagger™, and Hydro® systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Firenock View Post
    Wow, I think we have an issue here Huston. Firenock is the best fitting Lighted nock in the market. Just by reading the first few sentence, I would have call if I were the tester. Epic shaft used must be over 6 years old as the Epic are H nock size for easton since 2006!

From the report I can tell that the size of Firenock in the test is not be the right size for the arrow. As the other 2 nocks are Lumenok signature nock which is 0.244" and the Laser eye is 0.244", Firenock E is for 0.229" to 0.233" ID shaft. No wonder nothing works. I think the test need to be redo, if I have any say!
    I've been using Firenocks on my own, my wife's, and my son's arrows for over 3 years now with no issues. I don't ever even remember one not lighting up during practice to be honest. And while I've bought a few more over the last couple of years, the one's I bought 3 years ago are all still working. I guess I just got some goods ones. A lot of them!

Dawg
    PSE FIELD STAFF / TRUBALL STAFF
    Me: Currently Bowless Hidden Content
    Wife: 2013 New Breed Lycan in Blk/Muddy Girl, 2012 Mathews Jewel in Lost Camo
    Son: 2015 Chill X Pro, 2014 Desert Tactical Chill, 2014 Lost Camo Chill
    Hidden Content

Appears like the test needed to be done with a firenock model S, but the fitchart calls for E error in the chart????? i think a stipulation should also be all nocks are the same color as that effects brightness alot. The nock being the wrong size would be the answer as to why the end cap didn't stick... it was to small aswell. In the direction's on the firenock package i believe there are instructions on the procedure of removing and installing batteries or the wire will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Firenock View Post

Well send him a new one so he can redo the test.

But firenocks sound way to complicated to me. Especially when I get two nockturnals for 14 bucks and just insert them into the shaft. no assembly required, and they preform flawlessly

Good review. I just bought Firenocks this year, there is more to do as far as setup, but, they have performed flawlessly for me. For whatever reason, I kept having issues with the Lumenocks not lighting the majority of the time.

I have Lumenoks....they have performed flawlessly for me also!

I spoke with Dorge on the phone and he informed me that when I told him I was using Epics that he sent me the nocks for the newest Epics. I had bought several of the old model several years back and still had some left. Therefore, the problem appears to be due to incompatible products. In other words, I didn't test the correct size nock for my arrows.

Dorge was very friendly and is still going to honor his end of the deal since I completed the test, but I wanted to let everyone know that the reason the Firenock tested so poorly was because it was the wrong size for my arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by turkey-killer View Post
    I spoke with Dorge on the phone and he informed me that when I told him I was using Epics that he sent me the nocks for the newest Epics. I had bought several of the old model several years back and still had some left. Therefore, the problem appears to be due to incompatible products. In other words, I didn't test the correct size nock for my arrows.

Dorge was very friendly and is still going to honor his end of the deal since I completed the test, but I wanted to let everyone know that the reason the Firenock tested so poorly was because it was the wrong size for my arrow.
    Thats what it looked like from the post to me also, That is great to be able to talk to the owner/inventor of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by LCA View Post
    Appears like the test needed to be done with a firenock model S, but the fitchart calls for E error in the chart????? i think a stipulation should also be all nocks are the same color as that effects brightness alot. The nock being the wrong size would be the answer as to why the end cap didn't stick... it was to small aswell. In the direction's on the firenock package i believe there are instructions on the procedure of removing and installing batteries or the wire will fail.
    I included in my review that the color may have been a factor in the brightness. And I did read the directions for installation and watched a youtube video a couple of times to demonstrate.

Thats what it looked like from the post to me also, That is great to be able to talk to the owner/inventor of the product.
    Yes, it is and he actually called me to explain what the issue was and tell me he was going to follow through with his end of the deal. That is customer service!!! Just wish I would have realized that Easton changed the size of their shafts. Lesson learned. I'd like to thank Dorge for sponsoring this challenge and for his assistance.

Nockturnals would have been nice to see tested. 3 for 20 on sale and bright as heck.

Quote Originally Posted by mikecs4life View Post
    Nockturnals would have been nice to see tested. 3 for 20 on sale and bright as heck.
    Yeah, can't test them all. The store closest to me didn't sell the Nockturnals

Quote Originally Posted by mikecs4life View Post
    Who has these 3 for 20? And are these the ones with the button in the nock valley?

Why no Nocturnals ???
    "No brag, just fact"

"Suck it up, Butter cup" ... aHidden Content poor wittle Snowflakes ....

Another vote for nocturnals here.
    Give Me My Money, My Guns, And My Freedom!
    You Can Keep The "Change"!
    "Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on what to put on the dinner plate. Liberty is when the lamb is well armed!"
    Molon Labe

Well you just made up my mind for me. I will not be trying Firenocks. $36 for one. Thats insane.Then have so many problems with them. Sorry I can get 4 nocturnals for that price.

Just checked. I can get 5 nocturnals for the price of 1 Firenock. You have to be smoking crack not to go with nockturnals

Quote Originally Posted by seanhunter View Post
    Well you just made up my mind for me. I will not be trying Firenocks. $36 for one. Thats insane.Then have so many problems with them. Sorry I can get 4 nocturnals for that price.
    Results were not typical as stated because miscommunication between me and Dorge. I didn't have the right size nock for my arrow. I feel bad for posting this & giving Firenock a bad review, but at the time I didn't know i had the wrong size.

LOL... some of the comments you read on here are hillarious, to see people argue price point for somthing like nocks and we are talking about $55.95 for 3 Firenocks plus practice nocks compared to $20.00 for three nocturnals.... then you look at the bow signature and they have a $2,000 setup.

Quote Originally Posted by turkey-killer View Post
    Results were not typical as stated because miscommunication between me and Dorge. I didn't have the right size nock for my arrow. I feel bad for posting this & giving Firenock a bad review, but at the time I didn't know i had the wrong size.
    Not your fault, things happen... anytime you talk about a product with a top of the line price people will jump to conclusion without reading and understanding the thread. Just like anything else archery related... Some peolpe buy entry level bows and some buy the top line bows etc. etc. Whatever floats your boat it's there money.

LOL... some of the comments you read on here are hillarious, to see people argue price point for somthing like nocks and we are talking about $55.95 for 3 Firenocks plus practice nocks compared to $20.00 for three nocturnals.... then you look at the bow signature and they have a $2,000 setup.
    Well, price is an issue for many people including myself. I have a new bow that I spent a good bit of money on, BUT I don't plan on throwing my bow at a deer with the chance I'll never see it again. When you think about arrows, broadheads, and nocks you could easily be throwing a $50 bill at a deer and have it run off with it.

Ex. Take my Carbon Epics. They are relatively inexpensive for arrows ($9.99/each). So if you put a $13 broadhead and a $35 lighted nock that is $58 you are shooting at a deer and each component has a chance to be lost or broken.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast