Thread: best broadhead for youth hunting?

best broadhead for youth hunting?

my son is 10 and its his first season bowhunting, he is pulling back 35 lbs(30 lbs minimum in MN) just wondering what would be a good broadhead for this low of draw weight and get the best penetration?

2014 Faktor turbo, Pro comp elite fx
    Nick & Eds archery
    Vaportrail limbdriver
    Easton, B stinger
    MBG, Hunt 4 Him

My wife will be using an 85grn slicktrick. But there are a lot of other good options too. 85grn montec, magnus, steelforce, something fixed and cut on contact I would say. With slower speed like that, it should be easier to get those heads tuned.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
    AM32 APG-27"-Easton Axis 400grns-70#-285fps-Vapor Trail
    Element black out-27"-Easton Axis 400grns-70#-285fps-Vapor Trail

75 gr muzzy is what I had my son using when he started and they worked wonders
    Hoyt Katera XL 29.5" HHA 5519 Trophy Taker Pronghorn
    Hoyt Alpahaburner 29.5" Trophy Taker Smackdown and HHA DSOXL5519

when i first started at 13yrs old i was pulling 35lbs and my dad set me up with magnus stringers they are a 2 blade but have 2 little bleeder blades also and my first shot on a deer (adult doe) was a complete passthru , great blood trail. from 22 yards away on the ground. the next day I shot another one and also got a pass thru . without a doubt a 2 blade type head is what you need , it has worked for me and I am still using them and with my new mathews craze im shooting 47lbs.

Chelsey Day
    Michigan
    Trophy Blend Youth Staff Shooter
    Mission Craze by Mathews

A lot of traditional shooters shoot woodsman elite broadheads. They are long, with not much cutting diameter. I would assume its for increased penetration. Seems like a good option.

I would recommend the steelforce premium. My son is currently shooting them. His dl is 24 1/2" dw is around 40#. I had him shhot them once to see how they would fly, just like field points. Very happy with them so far. Good luck to you and your son.
    PSE FIELD STAFF, PSE militia
    2012 OMEN PRO 30" @ 80#
    2014 PHENOM 60# carbon force x-weave 300 pro, PSE DOA rest, PSE galaxy sight

Magnus stingers. My son passed through 2 mule deer with 42#. 300gr arrow @ 225fps.
    sine labore nihil

85 grain Magnus Stingers are what I first used when I was pulling 36 lbs and I still use them to this day. Great penetration
    Bowtech Assassin 27" 65 lbs

Team #43 Bucknado

Quote Originally Posted by jaho View Post
    85 grain Magnus Stingers are what I first used when I was pulling 36 lbs and I still use them to this day. Great penetration
    can't go wrong with this on ^^
    Bowtech Air Raid 29" 55-65lb,PSE Top Gun Slider sight
    QAD Ultra Rest ,SVL X-Coil 3.5",Gold Tip 55-75 Ted Nugent edition arrows,100gr Magnus Buzzcuts
    -I am a trophy hunter....until something else walks out-
    USMC Infantry Combat Vet (05-09) OIF 5-7

A Steel Force Phat head (4 blade) would meet the COC requirement.
    They have .080 thick blades,and that is as much as 4 times thicker than some of the most popular heads.
    They also make it in as light as a 75 grain head wich would probably be a good match for spine and front of center balance (FOC) for a lite poundage set up.

my son shot the magnus stingers w/ 42# great job!
    Join my family on Facebook at Buckeye Bruisers! And like our page!

THE ARCHERY SHOP STAFF SHOOTER
    TRU BALL STAFF SHOOTER
    AXCEL STAFF SHOOTER

My wife shoots Wasp bullet 75 grain and it is great....my other choice would be the 85 gr slicktrick. U wont go wrong with either one.

any cut on impact type broadhead, my recommendation would be the Magnus Stingers. they come with a lifetime warranty as well.

85 grain Magnus Stinger
    Μολὼν λαβέ

a two blade head with a three to one ratio or close to it would be best.

not sure why everyone wants to shoot the really light heads a 125 on some of the lighter grains per inch arrows will give awesome foc and be very forgiving and penetrate like hell. plus being able to cut arrows short you can have plenty of spine to shoot heavier heads.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrkyman View Post
    a two blade head with a three to one ratio or close to it would be best.

not sure why everyone wants to shoot the really light heads a 125 on some of the lighter grains per inch arrows will give awesome foc and be very forgiving and penetrate like hell. plus being able to cut arrows short you can have plenty of spine to shoot heavier heads.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by flozell_a View Post
    My wife will be using an 85grn slicktrick. But there are a lot of other good options too. 85grn montec, magnus, steelforce, something fixed and cut on contact I would say. With slower speed like that, it should be easier to get those heads tuned.
    Perfect head for a kid.
    If it looks like crap, smells like crap, tastes like crap, lies like crap; it’s more than likely a politician from Illinois.

The Slick Trick and the Wac 'Em are awesome choices for light Youth set-ups. We've been testing their flight and shooting characteristics from both of my sons (ages 11 & 12) set-ups and they shoot extremely well.

Regarding weight though, the lighter 85 gr are good shooters but we've found that the slightly heavier 100 gr versions and the added FOC group even better from their 35-40# rigs.
    An "archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect. A "BOWHUNTER" tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his.

Many great options have been listed, but my kids use Thunderhead 85gr heads, and so does my wife. They fly super, are durable, sharp, and won't break the bank! Good luck, and if you follow the advice posted on here by others, you simply can't go wrong!!
    HOYT BOWS,, CARBON EXPRESS ARROWS, T.R.U. Ball and CARTER releases, Ktech stabs, HHA AND CBE SIGHTS, etc.
    Wac'em and Slick Trick heads!!