Thread: Best "feeder" for deer

Question Best "feeder" for deer

Gonna try one of these in front of the trail camera this year.... but wow, hard to tell whats decent from the reviews on Cabelas?!?! Some say "great product, wish I had bought sooner".... and on the same feeder someone will say "JUNK! TRASH! Waste of money"... ??

So I look to my fellow brother and sister on AT to steer me in the right direction.

just looking to get the best feeder for my money... I can deal with tripod or hanging. Thanks

I have both of these feeder.. The 1st one I have had for 8 Years and replaced the timer only once, Raccoons got to the door that hides the timer battery and motor...Thats not going to happen again, bolted it now.. With both feeders make sure you zip tie some 1/2 inch square chicken wire around the spinner plates..
    good luck

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Moult...h-All+Products

thanks! you say thumbs up for that moultrie then?

I am hearing the moultrie is the way to go. Thinking about doing it myself. Hopefully you and Sweaver get some trail cam pics soon. Good luck this year

I was in the same boat and went with the Moultrie EZ Fill as well - I think it had Cabelas highest rating. Although the legs could be a thicker material, I think they will work just fine. Compared to the others, the molded in "bracket pockets" are really solid and appear much stronger that the type that attach around a band on the outside of the barrel. The timer is so simple even a caveman could set it . . .
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Silver Ventilator 150/125, Tapps, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

If you are going to use it where you have bears, you will need a hanging type. Otherwise,it will become a big chew toy for them.

i got one word for ya........ moultrie pro hunter!!!! period. haha. but seriously, thats the only way to go. lasts for years

Moultrie makes a good feeder. Do yourself a favor and order "site to store" from Walmart. Free shipping will save you $30.00. I just bought the Pro Hunter 30 $99.00 plus tax. They carry the "Ez Fill" as well. I simply back my 4 wheeler under mine and stand on the back rack to fill it up.
    “When a hunter is in a tree stand with high morale values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God”
    Fred Bear

I know in TX big bucks dont' show that often at feeders. Wonder why? (hehe). anyway, find yourself a Monarch timer if you can. They're made here in TX and those things are a beast. Lifetime warranty as well.

stay away from moultrie! i personally have had bad luck with them! next time i will purchase a quality feeder like hcr, or on-time dont waste your money!

Moultrie Pro Hunters for me!

In my opinion invest in a metal drum not a plastic drum feeder. Squirrels in my area chew them up.

I have 3 of the Moultrie Pro Hunter tripod feeders going on 8 years now. I use a energizer 6v battery and only need to replace it about every 16 months. The only thing I had to do was replace the funnel/spinner with the metal ones. They now come with the metal parts.

They are still going strong too!

You can get them from Wally World, delivered to the store for free:

Moultrie Pro Hunter Tripod Feeder $99.

I was in the same boat. One review said best thing ever, next review the person would claim the unit is junk. Im just going to build 2 PVC gravity feeders. I guess I will use this year as a test year and then maybe purchase a few Moultrie's next year.
    Mathews DXT 28/63
    QAD Ultra Rest
    Sword Twilight Hunter
    Sims S Coil
    CX Maxima Hunter w/ NAP KillZone

keep those reviews coming!

I have tried several and the absolute best I have had is the ON TIME brand. Very reliable and excellent battery life. I am really surprised no one else has mentioned this feeder.

I have and use a $99 Remington 250 lb capacity tripod feeder purchased at WallyWorld six years ago. I added a 6v solar charger with rechargeable battery, and a set of sharksteeth to keep coons and squirrels off. I let it run year around, with no corn inside Feb thru late Sept of course. If I needed another, I would do the same again. No bears here to worry about here!
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

Ttt

Really any "feeder" will do. We usually go the cheaper route and build our own out of a 55 gallon drum. You can get the rest of the parts you need pretty cheap if you look around. What you really need to get is a good timer/motor or control unit. I have a wildgame inovations 12volt unit on my hoist feeder thats about 4 years old now and is still going strong.

I have three moultrie pro hunters and they work great.
    Mathews Z7 Extreme 29inch 68IBS, QAP Arrow rest, Extreme Bone Collector 4 pin, 350 Maxima carbon express
    2013 Elite Answer on order

Moultrie Pro...Only way to go! I have two that I purchased off Ebay for around $50 each...just the feeder motor and timer assembly. I bought two used 30 gal drums locally for $10 each. I built mine to hang from a tree with chains because I have problems with bears tearing down the tripod type. So I've got less than $75 in each feeder and they have worked flawlessy for over 3 years now. The timers on these are very easy to set...you can set for up to 6 feedings a day. I set mine to feed twice a day @ 7 seconds spin time. This is plenty to keep em checking in daily. You would wany to set it for more if you were using it for supplemental feeding. At this setting I only use two of the 6 Volt batts per year. You cant beat this feeder for quality and value IMHO. Good Luck!