a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: NAPs FOC broadhead

NAPs FOC broadhead

I am new to crossbows. Just received my Tenpoint GT Flex yesterday. I have not even shot it yet....

I am looking at either the Spitfire or the FOC. I like the big cut the FOC makes. (I am color blind and can not blood trail too well. So I like anything that will drop them in my sight.) I am wondering about the heavy weight of that FOC. How does the 170gr FOC compare to 100 gr SpitFire? I guess I am giving up some velocity/trajectory... I can live with that. Are there any other things to consider? The 170 gr just seems so unconventional. Or is it really just a bit heavier? Anyone have experience with the FOC?

Thanks,
    HH

A bushel ... of guys advocate Spitfires and Spitfire Maxx ... I'd use one of those if it were me. Why give up 70gr worth of speed & trajectory?
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Weight = Kenetic Energy = Penetration.
    TenPoint Phantom, Black Eagle Executioners
    NAP 100gn. Nitron Broadheads
    Burris, Leupold Optics, XB30
    Black Widow Deer Lures Pro Staff
    NRA Life Member, Molon Labe, Bravo Zulu Team VI

Speed x weight = Kinetic Energy = penetration. In my opinion investing in the weight component of Momentum/KE is only worth it when you're bumping up close to being "under-gunned" for whatever game you're hunting. Considering 25KE kills deer; any energy above about 65KE for a deer is well invested in speed rather than MORE Momentum/penetration. As is often said "just how deep in the ground do you want your arrow after the pass through?" A 65KE arrow almost always results in a pass through, so my philosophy is to use the excess energy to flatten the trajectory. Thereby increasing your chances for a clean kill if you happen to miscalculate range. I'm guessing range miscalculations lose far more deer by producing poor hits than deer being lost for lack of penetration.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Slick Trick also has a 175 gr 4-blade fixed broadhead that would probably be a better choice, as it doesn't use up energy in expanding, and cannot fail to expand. Also keep in mind that NAP lie like rugs when they claim it's a 3" cut - measure it - it's less than 2.5".

Having said that, a broadside or quartering away shot, if you wait for it, would likely work well with the NAP FOC.

Is there something else to consider? Yes, the proper spining of the bolt and bolt integrity. Contact the manufacturer of your bow to find out the appropriate head weights for you bow and chosen bolts. Too much head for your bow and bolt type, then not only will they flex too much (leading to problems like inaccuracy), then can also worse case scenario, cause your bolt to crack and break during the shot while all that energy is transferred, which could injure you (and cost you money).

Quote Originally Posted by UnlicenseDremel View Post
    Slick Trick also has a 175 gr 4-blade fixed broadhead that would probably be a better choice, as it doesn't use up energy in expanding, and cannot fail to expand. Also keep in mind that NAP lie like rugs when they claim it's a 3" cut - measure it - it's less than 2.5".

Having said that, a broadside or quartering away shot, if you wait for it, would likely work well with the NAP FOC.

Is there something else to consider? Yes, the proper spining of the bolt and bolt integrity. Contact the manufacturer of your bow to find out the appropriate head weights for you bow and chosen bolts. Too much head for your bow and bolt type, then not only will they flex too much (leading to problems like inaccuracy), then can also worse case scenario, cause your bolt to crack and break during the shot while all that energy is transferred, which could injure you (and cost you money).
    The cutting diameter of the F.O.C was already very well explained in another thread in the bow hunting section. Another guy called NAP liars too. He was proven wrong, its not the width of the broadhead. The measurement is taken from the overall cutting diameter of the broadhead.

Last year was my first year hunting with a crossbow so I don't have years of crossbow specific experience. That being said the
    two broadheads mentioned (Slick Trick X-bow trick and NAP FOC ) were the two heads I did use last fall taking two deer.

The first was a large-bodied buck with the 175 gr. X-bow Trick out of a Bowtech StrykeForce. He was walking almost straight towards me when I saw that he recognized something was out of place. At slightly over 20 yards I hit him just off the center of his chest and the bolt ended up stuck in the opposite hindquarter in the hip joint. I waited a couple of hours and found him about after about 80 yards or so. Due to no exit wound it was a mediocre blood trail, but considering the physical size of the body I thought it was excellent penetration.

The second deer was a medium size doe with the 170 gr. NAP FOC out of a Tenpoint Phantom. Broad side at thirty yards it left a big hole (both sides) and an excellent bloodtrail. The difference in the blood trails was more to do with the shot angles and the lack of the exit hole in the first deer, than the weight of the heads. With a 100 gr. head I don't know if the penetration would have been as good on the buck.

Bottom line...Two dead deer. As long as I'm not shooting at 98 yards I like the heavy heads just fine.
    “People who drink “light” beer don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot.”

Switch the brass inserts out for aluminum inserts and the 170 grain head will give the arrow about the same weight FOC as the brass insert with a 100 grain head.
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

The Fed Ex girl brought me a present today. Inside the box was my new NAP F.O.C. 170 gr. along with some 125gr. Nitrons.

I'm getting ready to do some shooting with 100gr. BloodRunners, 125gr. ThunderHeads, 125 Nitrons & the 170gr. F.O.C.'s.

Curious to see how all of these do being shot out of my Phantom.

Also eager to see the results of the 170gr. F.O.C.'s & the Nitrons on deer because I have never used them.