a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: What is the best no-till food plot ?

What is the best no-till food plot ?

My brother-in-law wants to put in a food plot and he doesn't have anything to till his soil so I have 2 questions:

1) What is the best no-till stuff to plant in the next week or so?
    2) Do they actually work well enough to make it worth buying?

Thanks!
    I'm ignorant, to the best of my knowledge.

no.. nothing that doenst require tilling is garbage..

Quote Originally Posted by RackAssasin View Post
    Don't hold back, give me your real opinion.......
    I'm ignorant, to the best of my knowledge.

Read the small white label on the bottum of the bag.It will tell you the amout of seed content of each variety of seed.Most will be 97-98% rye grass seed.Sometimes a little clover or turnip added.You might as well buy a cheap bag of grass seed for $5 and save your money.
    HOYT Carbon Element, Rip cord rest, Montana black gold flash point micro 4 pin, hoyt pro series arrow quiver, beman ics hunters, slick trick 100 mags
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse
    Team 31 Ridgetop Warriors 2010/2011 bowhunting champs
    2013-14 Magnificent 7 bowhunting champs

Winter wheat and/or rye grain. Throw it out thick, fertilize some, then mow the grass down on top of it if possible. Comes up great.
    "Git 'er Done!" - LTCG

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter4Ever View Post
    My brother-in-law wants to put in a food plot and he doesn't have anything to till his soil so I have 2 questions:

1) What is the best no-till stuff to plant in the next week or so?
    2) Do they actually work well enough to make it worth buying?

Thanks!
    This is from a Ohio forum I am a member of

With a little prep work, sweat and the proper seeds you can have great looking food plots. Here's what you need
    1) back pack sprayer ($50)

2) Glyphosate (1 gallon $40).

3) Time and energy (free)

4) spreader ($20)

5) of course your seed

For this to work you will be limited to fall food plots because you will be spending the summer months spraying. Which IMO is no big deal because deer have so much to eat in the summer months anyways.

Here's the steps.......

1) end of May- Spray before weeds get too high

2) End of june- spray

3) end of july spray

4) August plant (spot spray before planting can be done the same day)

Now what seeds will grow on top of the soil? Several different types will. The most common include........

1) brassicas (turnips, rape and radishes)

2) All clovers

3) Cereal grains (especially winter rye)
    Yes it can be that simple. Spray, spray, spray and then plant. The key is MOISTURE. Try and plant/fertilize the day or so before a rain and up your seeding rate by 50%. For example, when planting brassicas with normal tillage I usually plant around 6-8# per acre. When no till overseeding I'll up that to 12-16#. Rye with normal tillage is around 50#, I'll up that to 100#. Clover is around 8-10# I'll up that to 16-20#.

For those of you with a bush hog, you could actually do it now. Mow, wait a week, spray and broadcast seed. For those of you without a bushhog it is imperative to keep up on your sprayings throughout the summer.

When using a BP sprayer use around 3-4oz of gly per gallon water. This will kill anything it touches, even hard to kill grasses.
    I live by my own rules (reviewed, revised, and approved by my wife).. but still my own-

Winter rye and clover but i would.wait a.couple of weeks before planting.

Winter Wheat is easy and the deer around here really like it.
    6.5 Reezen - 29" draw @ 70lbs
    HHA 5510 Sight (.010" pin)
    75/95 Gold Tips w/Blazer Vanes
    GrizzTrick2 Broadheads
    Whalen's Hooker Release

Evolved Habitat Throw-n-Grow works great. Need to make sure seed hits dirt. I've planted in mid August here in MI last few years with fantastic season long results.

One finger at a time .....
    Pass it on.

That is one of the dum est things i've read here in a while. Plenty of plots are possible with no till. Winter rye is a perfect example, it will grow almost anywhere and is very tolerant of poor soil. 80# an acre is sown alone 55 if mixed with a cover crop. The trick is to kill off the weeds first. The easiest way to acheive that is with round up. Check out the qdma forums for all the plotting advice you'll ever need.

Jess
    Your Beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does!

We use "cow peas" down here in Florida,,,which is basically black eye peas. deer come from miles away to eat the green growth. They grow really easy and you dont need to really bury the seed. Once I clear a spot out,,,I simply throw by hand the seed and drive over them with my truck,or walk over the seed or drag a chain behind the ATV,,,I even rolled them in with a roller.

Point is,,,you don't have to kill yourself with exactness while planting cow peas,,,and I have NOT seen anything attrack deer down here in the deep south sub tropics, like cow peas.
    Acts 10:13
    <+><

not true............. i have found austrian winter peas to require, no planting tilling, or fertilizer, the germination rate is very very high, and about all they require is dirt contact and a heavy dew to fall,, sometimes just a wet sneeze on a dusty counter top will work.......... and the deer love them!!!!!! just chunk them out were you want them to grow

Evolved is one of the better ones for throw and grow.It has turnips and some clover also.
    Quote Originally Posted by KalamazooKid View Post
    Evolved Habitat Throw-n-Grow works great. Need to make sure seed hits dirt. I've planted in mid August here in MI last few years with fantastic season long results.

One finger at a time .....
    HOYT Carbon Element, Rip cord rest, Montana black gold flash point micro 4 pin, hoyt pro series arrow quiver, beman ics hunters, slick trick 100 mags
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse

With proper grass and weed kill off peas or soy beans will grow without tilling the soil.But most guys looking at a throw and grow put don't want to mess with spraying a plot.If you can get it down to soil and rake it with a garden rake.Grains,winter peas,rye grass,turnips,clovers will grow with enough sun light and rain.
    Team 39- Pass-Thru Posse

Clover and winter wheat. Best to spray the weeds!
    DB
    Archery is an addiction is for me. Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker Rest, Vapor Trail strings, OK-Archery DST 40, Eilte Z28 Bow, Carter/Scott releases, CBE sights, Goldtip arrows, B Stingers Stabilizers, Lancasters Archery, Slick Tricks, Vanetec Vanes, Elite Pulse