Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My DIY Arrow Spine Tester

My DIY Arrow Spine Tester

Photo562.jpg

Photo563.jpg

Photo565.jpg

1 dial gauge = $12
    1 pack of roller blade ABEC 7 roller bearings from Dick's Sporting Goods = $30
    1 four foot long 1x4 pine board cut to 28" = $3
    Miscellaneous steel brackets, bolts, kotter pin, nuts, washers , etc. = $55
    5 hours of my time and labor putting this thing together = Free
    Years and years of arrows tuned to perfection = Priceless

Nice work

What is the benefit of "finding your stiff side"?
    If there is a way to shoot myself in the foot, I would most likely miss anyway.
    Illinois Bowhunters Society member

Quote Originally Posted by daltongang View Post
    What is the benefit of "finding your stiff side"?
    So you can orient all your arrows the same way. If you fletch the cock vane on the stiff side, on all the arrows, they'll all flex the same way coming off the bow, giving you more consistent shots and better grouping.

x2!

Wow bro. Great work. May be a bit out of my league though. I can definately see the benefits of it.

Thanks

Thanks. I thought it was out of my league too, until I finally had time to sit down, sketch out what I needed to do and the parts to do it with and voila! - a spine tester.

How much weight did you use

---
    - KW
    2011 ben pearson pro staff
    2011 ben pearson advantage, 2009 TX4
    tru ball staff shooter,Shrewd Archery staff shooter
    specialty archery staff shooter, harvest time archery advisory staff
    vapor trail pro staff, bohning staff shooter

Quote Originally Posted by kw1 View Post

---
    - KW
    2 lbs.

I changed the design tonight. Those eye-bolts holding the vertical bolt with the washers on it had too much free play and it was hard to get a reading when I spun an arrow. I took out the eye-bolts and fabricated a 3" sleeve using 5/8" PVC pipe and a few screws to tighten up the tolerance from the 1/2" dia. bolt to the inner dia. of the pipe. I also lubed the 1/2" bolt so it slides easily. There is hardly any wiggle room now and everything lines up nicely. I'll get a picture of it when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by L.I.Archer View Post
    2 lbs.

I changed the design tonight. Those eye-bolts holding the vertical bolt with the washers on it had too much free play and it was hard to get a reading when I spun an arrow. I took out the eye-bolts and fabricated a 3" sleeve using 5/8" PVC pipe and a few screws to tighten up the tolerance from the 1/2" dia. bolt to the inner dia. of the pipe. I also lubed the 1/2" bolt so it slides easily. There is hardly any wiggle room now and everything lines up nicely. I'll get a picture of it when I get the chance.
    Where did you get the Dial Gauge??
    2005 C.P ONEIDA BLACK EAGLE-TRU GLO 6 PIN SIGHT-LIMB SAVER STAB.-3-D ROVER TM.HUNTER REST-60 LBS.-31 IN. DL.-301/2 IN. 2413.XX78 ARROW..MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.WISHED I HAD SOME.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyhunter60 View Post
    Where did you get the Dial Gauge??
    Harbor Freight Tools.

Here's the updated weight slide. There is no free-play in this version vs. the eye-bolt version:

Photo566.jpg

Photo567.jpg

Photo568.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good Job and Thank You....That 1/2 inch bolt...Did you cut the bolt with a Hack Saw flat to mount the rollers on to it...???..And when you put the weight onto the middle of the arrow, you said 2 pounds, you rotate the arrow by hand to find the stiffest spot,spine, and mark it, then your done...???....
    2005 C.P ONEIDA BLACK EAGLE-TRU GLO 6 PIN SIGHT-LIMB SAVER STAB.-3-D ROVER TM.HUNTER REST-60 LBS.-31 IN. DL.-301/2 IN. 2413.XX78 ARROW..MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.WISHED I HAD SOME.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyhunter60 View Post
    Good Job and Thank You....That 1/2 inch bolt...Did you cut the bolt with a Hack Saw flat to mount the rollers on to it...???..And when you put the weight onto the middle of the arrow, you said 2 pounds, you rotate the arrow by hand to find the stiffest spot,spine, and mark it, then your done...???....
    The 1/2" bolt is notched 1/2" from the end and halfway through the diameter so I had a flat spot to mount the L-shaped angle that the rollers are mounted to. On the backside of where I notched, I filed down another flat spot so that the screw head had something flat to sit against.

And between the original post and this one, notice I moved both rollers on the T-angle to the same side.

And yes, you roll the arrow with your finger right above where the arrow sits on the rollers so you don't influence how the arrow bends. I watch the gauge's needle as I spin the arrow and mark the top of the arrow when the number goes highest on the dial. The top of the arrow at this point would be the stiffest.

Thank you for the Info...I got it now....

Quote Originally Posted by kw1 View Post

---
    - KW
    heres AMO standard for measuring arrow spine if you want to get weight dead on, 2lbs is quite close but 1.94 is the exact number
    .....The measurement is made by spanning the shafts between 28″ centers . A 1.94 lb. weight is suspended from the center of the shaft and the deflection measurement is made with a digital linear gauge. This is per the AMO standard.
    Hoyt Vector35 - QAD - Spot-Hogg - Doinker - Easton - FOB's
    Hoyt Dorado 50# - FMJ's
    T.R.U. Ball www.truball.com FOB's www.Starrflight.com Doinker www.doinker.com
    "If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!"

Quote Originally Posted by dwagoner View Post
    heres AMO standard for measuring arrow spine if you want to get weight dead on, 2lbs is quite close but 1.94 is the exact number
    .....The measurement is made by spanning the shafts between 28″ centers . A 1.94 lb. weight is suspended from the center of the shaft and the deflection measurement is made with a digital linear gauge. This is per the AMO standard.
    I didn't care about the AMO standard weight. I know what it is; I just rounded it up to 2 lbs, since I am only using it to measure where my arrow spine is stiffest so I can fletch all my arrows with the stiff side up.

Here is another spine tester. There should be charts to convert your dial to spine.
    http://www.jamesmhill.com/Spine_Tester.html

Quote Originally Posted by Perry24 View Post
    Here is another spine tester. There should be charts to convert your dial to spine.
    http://www.jamesmhill.com/Spine_Tester.html
    No need to convert anything. I just look at the dial while I'm turning the arrow and look to see where the dial number increases. At the peak of the increase, that's where the spine is weakest and the top of the arrow, at that position, is stiffest. I mark it, fletch it and forget about it.

By the way, I used Jim Hill's eye-bolt method at first and there's way too much movement with the bolt that goes through them. I used a 5/8" pvc pipe and shimmed it with screws to tighten up the tolerances so that there is no movement to the bolt that goes through it.

I thought I would post it up so people could see the chart if they want to see if an arrow matches it's advertise spine. If you just want to check for the stiff side, it isn't needed of course. I do like your design for how the weight touches the arrow and the use of bearings to make it easier to spine.

Hello All, very nice. [ Later
    Knight Unk, Long live Mutants
    " Play " with archery.
    Don't let archery " Play " with you
    Think while practicing.
    Turn off thinker,while performing

nice!
    Quietness kills the deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
    Team HOYT!!!!!!!!! ABB Strings send the Carbon Express arrows with Bohning Vanes to slay deer!
    Norris Merchandise Rocks all your needs!!!!!

Fine design. Good execution I've seen simpler devices to find the soft axis. Orienting on softspine is also useful for the same reasons, but stiff orientation seems better to me. Also you can find the "bad apple" in the arrow bin.
    Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, F-85 TFO sight Comp 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer, ACC 300s. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sight. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Rev' Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Hunting bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.

Does spine need to be tested at a 28" pan...

can you take a cut arrow (for me between 26.5 and 28") and use like a 24" span instead?
    Wish I was Hunting

Here are some instructions I stole and posted a while back. I did make one, but wasn't too pleased with how it turned out for me. i bought a RAM products tester, which will also test broadhead runout which is nice.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ester+skynight
    sine labore nihil

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast