Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Bow Press ??

Homemade Bow Press ??

I'm looking to get a new bow press and I know that there are guys out there who are making some nice ones. I just cant afford an EZ press right now. Anyone know of anyone who makes a nice, reasonably priced bow press?

Check in the DYI section. Some good stuff. Do a search there.
    Most religions teach that you earn salvation by keeping rules. Jesus didn't teach that "good people" go to heaven. He taught that "forgiven people" go to heaven. And He invited everyone, no matter what their past, to come to Him and be forgiven.

^^^ DIY is your best bet
    Enjoy what you are given and take not that which is not. Stand up for what you believe in with just cause. Fight the good fight and give it all you have. Never question the man up stairs because you will be wrong 100 % of the time.

There are two presses in DIY that are very affordable and easy to make. One uses a pipe clamp and another one uses a trailer jack. Either can be made easily for under $80 and work well.
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ighlight=press
    http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1321214

Get some pipe clamps and a 5' section of pipe. You might have to screw some fingers to the clamps to secure the bow to the press.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhntng4evr View Post
    Get some pipe clamps and a 5' section of pipe. You might have to screw some fingers to the clamps to secure the bow to the press.
    This is what I came up with from the DIY section. This is just for changing strings or peep work. Won't take the bow all the way down. For my limited use this is great. Mel

The wood is 5/4 red oak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome... So many good ideas.. thanks fellers

Quote Originally Posted by me.hunter View Post
    This is what I came up with from the DIY section. This is just for changing strings or peep work. Won't take the bow all the way down. For my limited use this is great. Mel

The wood is 5/4 red oak.
    That scares me just looking at it!!!

I would not trust that......

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeonfoot View Post
    That scares me just looking at it!!!

I would not trust that......
    If your bow snaps that wood I aint drawing it! I used metal myself but many used wood with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by toddcdozer View Post
    If your bow snaps that wood I aint drawing it! I used metal myself but many used wood with no problems.
    I don't think there's a bow out there that would break a 5/4 red oak board or bend a one inch steel pipe. Even with the groove I have an inch of oak. It works for me. Mel

I bought an Omni press on ebay for $75 shipped with the U pins and it presses everything ive tryed even a PSE XForce.

Reading through this thread and the comments about the wood.Has anyone ever measured how much pressure is on the fingers when a bow is pressed ? Seems to me it wouldn't be that much.If you figure that when you check the draw weight on a scale a bow is only 60-70 pounds on the string at letoff.I just dont see how it would put that much pressure on the fingers.
    Bow "Subject to change without notice"

heres a picture of mine cost me about 70 dollars and works awesomebow press 003 (Custom).jpg

will post a pic tomorrow its outside and its dark now

Quote Originally Posted by Mich.bowhunter View Post
    Reading through this thread and the comments about the wood.Has anyone ever measured how much pressure is on the fingers when a bow is pressed ? Seems to me it wouldn't be that much.If you figure that when you check the draw weight on a scale a bow is only 60-70 pounds on the string at letoff.I just dont see how it would put that much pressure on the fingers.
    Maybe at letoff, but think about the compound bow, the reason for the cams(wheels) is to compound the the amount of energy like block and tackle set. Outward at the limb there are hundreds of pounds of pressure depending on the bow and how the press contact material absorbs the pressure.

I've posted these many times before...but what the heck. As a woodworker, this was made with equipment I already had lying around and didn't cost me anything. It's made with 8/4 cherry and took about an hour.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...not a government agency.

2013 Hoyt Spyder, Snow Camo w/7 pin Spot Hog Hunter/Hoyt ULTRA REST™/Fuse Sidekick stab w/Scott Rhino XT./ Orange Pro Comp Elite, Trophy Taker Rest, CBE sight, X 10 Stabilizers, Mako Pro Release

Mine by the way.Harbor freight jack.37 dollars invested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mich.Bowhunter/rmhardy,
    Where did you get the "fingers" from? I got everything for both press styles listed here except for those metal fingers. I've seen fingers for the Apple presses for sale but not quite cost effective. See here http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Archery-Sl...-/220508468815
    I was going to use wood but I have a Z7 and the metal brackets on the limb tips that help secure the string stoppers are in the way. I'm afraid to remove them before pressing the bow, as I'm not sure if they are keeping the limb tips squeezed together. Any suggestions would be great. I live on Maui and there are Proshops here anymore. I love the info I've gotten here from all you guys. Mahalo

I had my nephew water jet them.

i used 1/2 inch steel and cut them with a dremel pain in the butt but i wanted 2 make it all myself

PM me about Fingers I don't make them but know where you can get them at a really great deal.
    Bear Carnage @ 62# !!!!!!!!!!! Mathews Switchback @65#
    Viper pro 2000 W 4x lens, fUSE WB.Tree Limb 3 arrow quiver.All on both bows
    , Victory HV V3
    If speed Kills then there is a deer that's in trouble.

I'm not buyin it. You're not hiding "hundreds of pounds of pressure because the bow has a cam or wheel on it, at let off your holding 20%-35% of that 70 lbs. I believe that the cam acts as an amplifier of that 70 lbs. at the peak of its lobe, but you aren't dealing with that by deflecting the limbs an inch or two while pressing.

Does anyone out there really know how many pounds of pressure it really takes to press a 70# one inch to change a string or adjust a peep? Mel

I can't say for sure because I have no first hand experience with these. But it appears to me that working with cables and the string (like taking them off or changing) would be difficult (as far as access) with the way those cams fit into those blocks. And isn't it awkward installing peeps, etc. with your string on the side closest to the floor instead of being on the upper side as with presses manufactured by companies? I do agree with Dale. I wouldn't put my bows in this press, nor would I let anyone else press my bow in one. Just doesn't look safe to me. But that's just my thoughts.

But one thing I'm pretty sure of that keeps me from thinking about using one of these on my bows. I am sure my Bow Company, and just about all bow companies out there, would not honor a warranty if something happened to your bow as a result of pressing in this press. Any thoughts on that?
    2013 PSE PHENOM ME; 2011 PSE DOMINATOR PRO TH; 2011 PSE SUPRA HP;
    T.R.U. BALL RELEASES; BERNIE'S LITE HAWK STABILZERS; 60X CUSTOM STRINGS

Don't jump to conclusions just because you're dealing with cold hard facts! - My Dad; circa 1969

I've pressed my split-limb many times in a press like the above. I can't imagine what it would take to break 5/4 oak over the short amount used in a well-constructed pipe clamp press.

Nevertheless, I'm looking to build a different one.... I had to change out a string that broke and it required a complete tensioning -- a several stage process with a pipe clamp. Besides, the string is underneath, which makes it a pain to work on the serving or the peep.

So for limited use they're OK and I've found them to be safe, just not very versatile.

Good discussion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast