Archery Talk Forum banner

Homemade Bow Press ??

Tags
bow press
58K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  Redball409 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get a new bow press and I know that there are guys out there who are making some nice ones. I just cant afford an EZ press right now. Anyone know of anyone who makes a nice, reasonably priced bow press?

#2 ·
Check in the DYI section. Some good stuff. Do a search there.

#12 ·
Reading through this thread and the comments about the wood.Has anyone ever measured how much pressure is on the fingers when a bow is pressed ? Seems to me it wouldn't be that much.If you figure that when you check the draw weight on a scale a bow is only 60-70 pounds on the string at letoff.I just dont see how it would put that much pressure on the fingers.:set1_thinking:

#15 ·
Maybe at letoff, but think about the compound bow, the reason for the cams(wheels) is to compound the the amount of energy like block and tackle set. Outward at the limb there are hundreds of pounds of pressure depending on the bow and how the press contact material absorbs the pressure.

#16 ·
I've posted these many times before...but what the heck. As a woodworker, this was made with equipment I already had lying around and didn't cost me anything. It's made with 8/4 cherry and took about an hour.

Reactions: mega_74
#18 ·
Mich.Bowhunter/rmhardy,
Where did you get the "fingers" from? I got everything for both press styles listed here except for those metal fingers. I've seen fingers for the Apple presses for sale but not quite cost effective. See here http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Archery-Slim-Limb-Bow-Adapter-/220508468815
I was going to use wood but I have a Z7 and the metal brackets on the limb tips that help secure the string stoppers are in the way. I'm afraid to remove them before pressing the bow, as I'm not sure if they are keeping the limb tips squeezed together. Any suggestions would be great. I live on Maui and there are Proshops here anymore. I love the info I've gotten here from all you guys. Mahalo

#20 ·
i used 1/2 inch steel and cut them with a dremel pain in the butt but i wanted 2 make it all myself

#21 ·
PM me about Fingers I don't make them but know where you can get them at a really great deal.

#22 ·
I'm not buyin it. You're not hiding "hundreds of pounds of pressure because the bow has a cam or wheel on it, at let off your holding 20%-35% of that 70 lbs. I believe that the cam acts as an amplifier of that 70 lbs. at the peak of its lobe, but you aren't dealing with that by deflecting the limbs an inch or two while pressing.

#24 ·
I can't say for sure because I have no first hand experience with these. But it appears to me that working with cables and the string (like taking them off or changing) would be difficult (as far as access) with the way those cams fit into those blocks. And isn't it awkward installing peeps, etc. with your string on the side closest to the floor instead of being on the upper side as with presses manufactured by companies? I do agree with Dale. I wouldn't put my bows in this press, nor would I let anyone else press my bow in one. Just doesn't look safe to me. But that's just my thoughts.

But one thing I'm pretty sure of that keeps me from thinking about using one of these on my bows. I am sure my Bow Company, and just about all bow companies out there, would not honor a warranty if something happened to your bow as a result of pressing in this press. Any thoughts on that?

#25 ·
I've pressed my split-limb many times in a press like the above. I can't imagine what it would take to break 5/4 oak over the short amount used in a well-constructed pipe clamp press.

Nevertheless, I'm looking to build a different one.... I had to change out a string that broke and it required a complete tensioning -- a several stage process with a pipe clamp. Besides, the string is underneath, which makes it a pain to work on the serving or the peep.

So for limited use they're OK and I've found them to be safe, just not very versatile.

Good discussion!

#26 ·
I don't feel comfortable standing under a car that's on a lift, but that doesn't mean that it's not safe. Just because you're scared of something, does NOT mean that it's not perfecty safe. If you choose not to, fine, but don't come here with your unfounded superstitions and say, without even seeing one in action, that it's not safe. when you do that, you just show how ignorant you are of tooling and materials.

#31 ·
I don't feel comfortable standing under a car that's on a lift, but that doesn't mean that it's not safe. Just because you're scared of something, does NOT mean that it's not perfecty safe. If you choose not to, fine, but don't come here with your unfounded superstitions and say, without even seeing one in action, that it's not safe. when you do that, you just show how ignorant you are of tooling and materials.
1955 - I have to assume that you're comment is directed to me as well as some of the others. To set the record straight, in case you didn't read my post that thoroughly, I did not state the press was not safe. I just said to me it looked unsafe. I acknowledged I couldn't state that as a fact as I had no first hand experience. And I qualified that that was my thoughts (opionion). I am not ignorant of tooling and materials by no stretch of the imagination. And as far as coming on here with opinions, everyone is entitled to an opionion, and that's about what 95% of the AT comments are...opinions. And to state an opinion is not as bad as making an incorrect assumption that someone is ignorant in tooling and materials just because they don't agree with your opinion.

#30 ·
The clamp style is just to basically do string and cable maint. I only need like an inch or so of travel to do both. I've heard of bows being locked up at full draw due to a loose screw and not letting go. PSE makes a pocket press for X-force bows and it is just a braided cable and hooks. I have personally seen people change out strings and adjust draw lengths by jamming a screwdriver between the cam and limbs. Not everyone can afford an "approved" press, not everyone has a bow w/ a warranty and not every one afford to pay shop fees every time the bow needs to go in the press.

#33 ·
Here it is folks...a 1300 dollar bow in a 20 dollar bow press.:wink:

PS. After I took this pic, I covered the jaws in liquid rubber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.