Thread: How long should a crossbow string last?

How long should a crossbow string last?

Have read many different answers...trying to get a consensus.
    I lube and wax religiously, but had a new string with about 25-30 shots break and send a broadhead tipped bolt spinning 6 ft. up in the air and 5 ft. to the left, landing next to a be-wildered yellow lab that was watching me shoot.
    Kinda paranoid now.

I'm playing around with different fletching, broadheads, and FOC combinations trying to get a really accurate set up, probably 25-30 shots a day.
    No visible sign of wear or fraying with maybe 150 shots on it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by STRAIGHTARROW View Post
    Have read many different answers...trying to get a consensus.
    I lube and wax religiously, but had a new string with about 25-30 shots break and send a broadhead tipped bolt spinning 6 ft. up in the air and 5 ft. to the left, landing next to a be-wildered yellow lab that was watching me shoot.
    Kinda paranoid now.

I'm playing around with different fletching, broadheads, and FOC combinations trying to get a really accurate set up, probably 25-30 shots a day.
    No visible sign of wear or fraying with maybe 150 shots on it so far.
    i sight in crossbows for people in my area.
    if string is like 5 years old i tell them to replace it but it may be fine.just way i feel about it.
    but these are people that only shoot about 10 shots a month.i am no expert on this also.more you shoot, the more i would replace string.if it gets like little fuss things coming off it,its ready .

you should see that. again, there is many experts on here that could give you better answer.
    on servings i take WAXED DENTAL FLOSS and wrap it around it.this allows the serving to last LONGTIME .most of time servings wear out too quick even if the rail is lubed.i get about 40 shots out of the floss ,then i refloss again.you could get a lot more out of floss if you put it on heavy,i like it lightly wraped.
    i like shooting crossbow i have in my yard.
    it is HORTON LEGEND but i dont hunt with it.

i still use BEAR KODACK RECURVE from 1965.

if a string broke in 25-30 shots you have other issues. if you keep the sting waxed and don't over lube your string can last for years. the best thing you can do is learn how to reserve the string, buy some serving and a serving tool and and your set for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
    if a string broke in 25-30 shots you have other issues. if you keep the sting waxed and don't over lube your string can last for years. the best thing you can do is learn how to reserve the string, buy some serving and a serving tool and and your set for many years.
    Yep, your'e correct. And the brand new Buck Commander has been returned to Barnett to check for cam/axle damage. Mean time I'm shooting an older Horton as a back up.
    Thanks.

Hyjack time,

Can you direct me to where I can purchase a serving tool (good one) and better serving material. Thanks much

Dutch...
    Mathews Ultra 2, Easton 400gr with NAP 100 gr Blood Runner
    Muzzy Zero-Effect, Extreme sight and Tru-ball Short & Sweet.

Excalibur Vortex W/5S, LumiZone, GT Laser IV, and X-Bow Slick Trick.

Might as well post it here Hyjack, I was gonna ask also.

Smile How long should a crossbow string last ?

Longer than the limbs, if it's a Bowtech.
    Bowman Accu-Riser I and II...Greatest built American bows of all time
    Hamskea Versa Rest, Hogg Father sight, Paridigm stabilizer.
    Scorpyd Crossbows... nothing else compares
    Zeiss Victory HT 10x42 binoculars...simply superb