Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the deer, after the kill?

What to do with the deer, after the kill?

Just wondering what you guys do with your deer after you've killed it? I personally butcher all my deer at home because for one, I enjoy it and I know that my meat is the meat that I'm getting, not a weighed portion mixed in with 10 other deer. I also like cutting up the deer because I feel as though its another step in the whole "circle" of the hunting experience. When I'm done with the carcass I take it to a spot on my farm for coyote bait with a trail camera watching to see what all stops by for a bite to eat.

I'm just curious, Do a majority of the bowhunters here butcher their own deer or take it to a specialty shop and, What do you do with the carcass after you're done with it?

Butcher my own. Remains go in two ply black trash bags then into the trash can for collection.
    Liberalism is mental disorder.

Take mine to the processor. First doe and any bucks I kill are processed for my family, all other does are donated to Hunters Against Hunger and I pay the complimentary $10 processing fee.
    Red Dirt Outdoors
    No Outfitters
    No Guides
    No Excuses

www.facebook.com/reddirtoutdoors

hang it and drink beer with friends
    Iowa: Z7

Scuba Diver------ I go DEEP

I like BigRacks

Do my own butchering as well. Then vacuum seal.

Butcher it up,take the waste out back 40,then enjoy some fresh back strap for dinner.
    2010 PSE x-force Axe 7,,,,,,,29"x45#

Member hoytcharger2013 owes me $20.00 or the quiver I purchased from him neg feedback was left, nothing worse than a thief......

Bone it and age it in our second refrigerator in the large plastic pans you see busboys using in restaurants to clear tables. Once it is aged--about a week, I cut it up and package it, cutting the backstrap into steaks wrapped in bacon individually wrapped and grill-ready, tenderloins wrapped separately, and major muscles for roasts or jerky. Trimmings and "etc" bagged and frozen until I have enough for dried sausage and buckstick makings.

I find that if I cut the backstrap into 3 to 4 large pieces and grill it, it holds its moisture or juice alot better and comes out much more delicious than if I butterfly the pieces and grill them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRacks View Post
    hang it and drink beer with friends
    You hit the nail on the head.

Sometimes I butcher my own, but I also have the butcher do them to. This year I'm going to do both, and donate a couple does to helping hunters fight hunger

I take mine to the butcher. I would like to do it myself but don't really have the space or know how to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Barnett quad 400, NAP Spitfire MAXX 125 gr.
    06 Reflex Highlander,Trophy Ridge FlatLiner, Wolfden Strings, Gold Tip XT, New Archery Products QuikTune 360 CaptureRest

Well right after I kill it I clean it and have a few beer with some friends then I will leave it in a cooler on ice for about 3-5 days to bleed it out. I add more ice to it everyday and drain most the water out. My wife says it makes the meat taste better to her. Then after that I will butcher it up and make hamburger, sausage, steaks, roast, stew meat, and jerky. Man I cnt wait for some fresh jerky this year. Sometimes I will throw a big get together and smoke a ham or two.
    Bowtech Invasion, Easton Axis Infused arrows, Whisker Biscuit rest, Montana black gold sight, 8in Doinker Dish, slick trick viper trick

I butcher my own then take the carcass to the woods for the predators and scavengers.
    2008 Allegiance

Good to see so many doing it themselves. I'm not nocking those who don't, I'm just saying I enjoy doing the job on my own and I like seeing others enjoy it as well.

The big deer we take to the processor for snack sticks with cheese, cheese deer dogs with jalapenos or honey bologna.

The younger, smaller deer we butcher ourselves for steaks, roasts, stew meat and the fish. :yum: Darn it, now I'm hungry.

Do it myself. Vacuum seal and in the freezer 4-6 hours after the kill. Carcass goes back into the food chain.

Usually, gut it skin it, quarter it, pull out the straps, inner loin, heart, liver, and kidneys, leave the hide and the carcass in the woods with the guts. I keep a cooler in my rig, and pick up some ice for the ride home. When I get home I bone it and age it in the fridge for a week, then pack it for the freezer in saran, freezer paper, then foil. The organs I don't age they are usually eaten that night or packed for the freeze right away. It is a lot of hard work, but I believe it is a small price to pay in honoring the animal and controlling the quality of your food yourself.
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

Take a few photos then cover it up with brush and leaves and go hunt another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortyneck View Post
    Usually, gut it skin it, quarter it, pull out the straps, inner loin, heart, liver, and kidneys, leave the hide and the carcass in the woods with the guts. I keep a cooler in my rig, and pick up some ice for the ride home. When I get home I bone it and age it in the fridge for a week, then pack it for the freezer in saran, freezer paper, then foil. The organs I don't age they are usually eaten that night or packed for the freeze right away. It is a lot of hard work, but I believe it is a small price to pay in honoring the animal and controlling the quality of your food yourself.
    Same here but let it bleed out a few days then dbone it n I vacuum pack it...man I can't wait for Oct 1st

Butcher and Process my own. Have been for 35 yrs,
    '13 PSE DNA 30" 60# 315 fps, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575
    09 Elite GT500 29.6" 66# 307 fps -Stage 1 Strings - Tater Tuned!
    Maxima Hunter 350 - Blue Streak Selects 350 Summit Treestands
    Slick Trick Mags, Treelimb Premium Quiver,
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Quote Originally Posted by Ala_Archer View Post
    Take a few photos then cover it up with brush and leaves and go hunt another one.
    You do eat the meat, right?

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelkilla23 View Post
    Just wondering what you guys do with your deer after you've killed it? I personally butcher all my deer at home because for one, I enjoy it and I know that my meat is the meat that I'm getting, not a weighed portion mixed in with 10 other deer. I also like cutting up the deer because I feel as though its another step in the whole "circle" of the hunting experience. When I'm done with the carcass I take it to a spot on my farm for coyote bait with a trail camera watching to see what all stops by for a bite to eat.

I'm just curious, Do a majority of the bowhunters here butcher their own deer or take it to a specialty shop and, What do you do with the carcass after you're done with it?
    x 2 same reasons. I love the entire circle, scouting, hanging stand, hunting , harvesting/killing, retrieving, butchering... from a to z.

I throw my bones in the trash bin , they take them to the landfill. Or I will make a pile out at coyote trapping spots
    Beauty is in the eye of the BOW HOLDER

Quote Originally Posted by NCBowhunter84 View Post
    You do eat the meat, right?
    Of course. I usually butcher my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortyneck View Post
    you don't have to check deer in ? In Indiana we have to take the whole deer minus the guts to a check station first before we can butcher it. Also if you shoot enough deer the hides can be sold to a fur buyer for 4-8 bucks each. I take mine in at season ends and get enough to pay for the sealing freezer bags and burger bags I use.
    Beauty is in the eye of the BOW HOLDER

Do it myself the remains go to my German shorthair and chocolate lab. They really dig bow season!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast